New Driver question

fotoman68

Hello everyone

So I made my first drive yesterday from Simi Valley to LAX. I clicked EARINGS and it said Uber fare was $64.96. Uber fee - $12.99. My earnings - $51.97 doesn't include incentives.
My question is did I really make $51.97?
And what are incentives? I would really appreciate some help on this.
Thank you,
Jason

Disgusted Driver

It means that you will receive 51.97, that is not what you earned!! Please remember that your car doesn't run on pixie dust, gas, oil, tires, insurance, wear and tear, depreciation, ... You earned a decent bit less when you take into account ALL your mileage, with and without pax. That was probably a decent run but you'll find that in the long run its a tough way to make money.

I don't think they are doing incentives in many places right now, when they are short on drivers they sometimes give us guarantees for working peak hours.

UberNorthStar

$51.97. Gross <Edit: Profit>
- 4.25 Passenger Fee [$1.50 Safe Ride Fee + $2.75 LAX fee (using Houston Airport Fee)]
- ? Mileage Fee* (40¢/ mile is about right OR. IRS standard 56.5¢)
- 15.3% IRS self- employment tax
= ? Net Profit

*Mileage Fee - Use the following article to figure out the cost of driving your car.
https://uberpeople.net/xfa-blog-entry/how-to-calculate-costs-as-an-uber-driver.23/#comment-499

Count all your miles. This includes miles to pickup, miles to destination, miles back to where you s stop to wait for a ping. My miles begin as soon as I turn on the Uber app.

Last edited:

fotoman68

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for your answer Disgusted Driver. I have another question. I've read many drivers really hate driving for Uber. Well why do they keep doing it?

Disgusted Driver

I like driving around and for the most part like my passengers but I hate Uber. They will treat you like crap and don't even bother to read your emails to support, much less respond with assistance. You will see. Depending on what you are doing, some folks are able to make a little money doing it (I am very selective about the hours I drive and where, and I only drive Select, can't make money driving X) and some folks are flat out desperate, trading car equity for cash. I've also run into a fair number of drivers who barely speak English and this is the best job they can find. I feel for them. Average tenure is probably something like 3 months.

UberNorthStar

fotoman68 said:
I've read many drivers really hate driving for Uber. Well why do they keep doing it?
Uber X drivers keep going for a variety of reasons.

We partnered w/MADD and feel satisfied that there was one less intoxicated person on the street to cause an accident.

Several of us drive for the loss. We are in a high tax bracket due to other income. The business loss offsets what we owe in taxes.

I do it for the loss and to get out of the house.

JM2¢W

Aug1515

Hello everyone

So I made my first drive yesterday from Simi Valley to LAX. I clicked EARINGS and it said Uber fare was $64.96. Uber fee - $12.99. My earnings - $51.97 doesn't include incentives.
My question is did I really make $51.97?
And what are incentives? I would really appreciate some help on this.
Thank you,
Jason
$51.97 is u earning from Uber.