New driver - Question about car

Andy_MW

Hi.

As stated, I am a new Uber driver, and asking your assistance.

My car is Honda Odyssey 2013. Unfortunately it is LX, meaning mechanical passenger doors. Would it qualify for XL/SUV? I think Yes, but from a practical point of view - how many Pax would be offended with mechanical sliding doors? Is it an issue at all, or am I over complicating?

Another question for SUV drivers. Do you have calls, where Pax expect you to transport paint, large objects, e t.c. potentially capable to damage your car?

Thank you.

Token44

2013 Odyssey will be X and XL.... and congratulations... no POOL!

BlackSUV is a totally different thing, you're not going to be in there.

Manual sliding doors are no big deal for X and XL.

It's your car and your decision to take cargo. You're on UBER's system as a passenger hauler, not a moving truck.

Andy_MW

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for an answer. Was not even looking for BlackSUV. Just wondering are there any nuances driving SUV vs regular sedan? Such as bunch of young guys sharing their ride, and as result certain problems? Or is it same thing?

Token44

With XL you can carry more passengers (6 vs 4) and get paid double for XL calls.

You can end up with a mini-van full of drunken college kids, but that all depends on when and where you drive.

You'll also get people going to the airport with lots of luggage, or just people who want to be in a larger vehicle.

The XL rates are far better than just X, but you'll get a lot of X calls too.

Best part is you won't have to do POOL (for now at least).

You can also do UberHOP. I'll leave you to search the details on that, I have no experience with HOP.

HuKo600RR

At the rate of UberX and dirty Pax (leaving garbage, gum, etc...depending on when you drive) I have stopped driving my 2012 Odssey. It's only good for XL orders...besides that If you don't care much about your van go for it.

Santa

SUV means black SUV which is same as limo and that's totally a different universe. It's not for minnows like you and me.

Vans are used on X and XL platform. You can't do XL alone. If you haven't registered on XL platform, i suggest you do that right away.

Pax (passengers) don't like the mechanical doors. They'll curse you and rate you 1*. :frown:

Just kidding. They'll have a tough time opening the doors though. Pax are stupid that way.:biggrin:

Enjoy Ubering while you can. Take it easy and have fun. Read the forum for other helpful hints.

G'luck

Andy_MW

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you, Friendly Santa.

The more I read forum, less I want to have this unique opportunity to join Uber Cruise ship. Have to do it anyway just to see if it would work for me.

Token44

Thank you, Friendly Santa.

The more I read forum, less I want to have this unique opportunity to join Uber Cruise ship. Have to do it anyway just to see if it would work for me.
I've said it before. Uber is not a bad gig as long as you are realistic about your expectations, create a strategy that works for you, and don't get all caught up in the UBER politics.
I'd be happy to help you if you'd like. You can PM me or post questions to the board.

Last edited:

OC Lady Uber Driver

I believe you're overthinking having manual sliding door vs. automatic sliding doors on your vehicle.

I drive a Chevy Equinox that's a mid-size SUV and doesn't qualify under the SUV designation for Uber, and to answer your question, yes, I've hauled golf clubs, speaker boom boxes, groceries, but mostly mass amounts of luggage. No hazardous material or dead body requests, yet.

Last edited: