New Driver needs help

I started driving with Uber Eats towards the end of May and people I started driving July 1. My lifetime trips are 130 (mostly Eats), Rated trips are 53 with 45 of those being 5 star. How can this possibly end me up with 4.61? I started off with 4.7 yesterday morning and ended up with 4.61. Yesterday was not a good day for me to drive (obviously). I got an email today from Uber wanting me to spend $40 on going to a class. A little frustrated, concerned. I supply water, ask if A/C is too high or too low and ask if they want to listen to a specific radio station. I very rarely don't accept a ride but feel that when I do not accept one, it affects my rating.

UberIgnorance

Few things:
> Your rating is determined by your rated trips, not lifetime trips; with only 53 rated trips, your rating will still fluctuate noticeably, especially if someone 1-starred you.

> Only the most recent 500 rated trips affect your rating

> Supplying water is not necessary; my rating had dropped as low as 4.71 even with me regularly supplying water.
Even though I stopped supplying water months ago, I'm back up to 4.78 and mostly holding steady.

> Letting pings time out or cancelling trips does not affect your rating; passengers can only rate you when you have started a trip.

> For the most part, let passengers come to you with requests.
Too much unsolicited talking will backfire on you.

> Uber driving is largely a game of luck; you never know who you're going to get.
Some people will give you grief no matter what.

NachonCheeze

1) With only 53 rated trips your ratings are going to have large fluctuations. You need to get more trips in to know where you will settle at.
2) Stop offering water. It will get you nothing.
3) At some point fUber may deactivate you for having a rating below 4.6.... As I understand this is after a few hundred trips.
4) For the short term be selective about when you drive. The 2AM drunk a$$holes can go anywhere on ratings so there a role of the dice.
5) for the short term: Don't be afraid to cancel or not accept a ride. If I smell anything wrong I'm gone....fUber and PAx motto is "Everything is the drivers fault"
6) I assume you car is clean, in good condition, etc, etc.....
7) There is an art to customer service. I'm not saying this is the case for you but some people just are not cut out for this type of business... Thats something you will need to reflect on.

eman1122

Looks like you're getting some 3 stars or lower.

I agree. No need to supply water. Also, be aware of the times you drive. The later into the evening/early morning you drive, the more chance that you'll get pax that will rate you poorly (and in Uber's case, a 4* is poor). Also, driving is a game of feeling out your pax. Learn to determine if the pax wants interaction or not. I always greet the pax with a "hello" and verify that they are who they are supposed to be. After that the next 2 questions are "is it ok to follow the gps or do you have a specific route?" and "is the a/c to high/low?" After that I keep it quiet until they interact with me.

KimchiRiceSoNice

UberIgnorance pretty much covered it all. Rating can be a reflection of a number of things, from music to other etiquette issues, to someone just having a bad day. I play slow jazz for a music choice, but I also gauge the audience and passenger as far as music goes. If you do the bar scene, then expect a lot of drunks the next morning rating poorly because they just realized how much they had to pay for an Uber the next day, and they didn't get laid, just screwed. Not saying that you do, but never make personal phone calls or texts while online. Just an etiquette thing, but I hear it does happen. Some passengers are chatty, some are not. Any issues reported in the ratings tab? There could be some clues there, but don't put much stock into that as there have been instances where passengers report issues so they can get refunded. Can you get rated on food delivery? I don't know as I don't do Uber Eats. Like is the food still warm, properly handled? That sort of thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
UberIgnorance pretty much covered it all. Rating can be a reflection of a number of things, from music to other etiquette issues, to someone just having a bad day. I play slow jazz for a music choice, but I also gauge the audience and passenger as far as music goes. If you do the bar scene, then expect a lot of drunks the next morning rating poorly because they just realized how much they had to pay for an Uber the next day, and they didn't get laid, just screwed. Not saying that you do, but never make personal phone calls or texts while online. Just an etiquette thing, but I hear it does happen. Some passengers are chatty, some are not. Any issues reported in the ratings tab? There could be some clues there, but don't put much stock into that as there have been instances where passengers report issues so they can get refunded. Can you get rated on food delivery? I don't know as I don't do Uber Eats. Like is the food still warm, properly handled? That sort of thing.
None of the UberEats ever get a rating so I'm assuming they are not able to rate. No issues reported in the ratings tab either. I'll work on getting more rides and work on some of the things that have been suggested and see what happens. Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When you posted "new driver needs help" I thought you were trying to get someone to talk you out of driving.
I have to admit when I first saw my rating this morning and then the email from Uber, I considered it. I'm not one to give up though. Maybe trying to hard because I really need to make money is sabotaging me.

hangtyte

I had a couple girls last night comment about the ratings. They said they always gave 4 stars and if they didn't like something, they gave 3. When passengers are able to rate, clicking on the 4th star says "good". So people basically think it's helpful to our score. I told them it's a pass / fail system. 5 stars keeps us on the road, while 4 stars decreases our score. They had no idea, so now they changed to 5 stars from now on. I think as long as you keep a clean car, clean person, and able to judge if a passenger wants to chat or be quiet, you should be fine. Ratings will always fluctuate. You just need to try and get a solid score until you get a couple more rides under your belt.

Green Porcupine

I had a couple girls last night comment about the ratings. They said they always gave 4 stars and if they didn't like something, they gave 3. When passengers are able to rate, clicking on the 4th star says "good". So people basically think it's helpful to our score. I told them it's a pass / fail system. 5 stars keeps us on the road, while 4 stars decreases our score. They had no idea, so now they changed to 5 stars from now on. I think as long as you keep a clean car, clean person, and able to judge if a passenger wants to chat or be quiet, you should be fine. Ratings will always fluctuate. You just need to try and get a solid score until you get a couple more rides under your belt.
Yes. in the 5 points system, 4 is good enough. I guess most riders think so.
But FUber will kick your butt for that score.

Digits

Uber should have the pax take some class for riding etiquettes and ratings. How does the class for a driver change an entitled jerk who habitually clicks one star cause he sucks at life. And there are quite a few out there who would rate whatever randomly depending on their mood. It's the luck of the draw to get these suckers into your car. I would suggest you do your best and drive safely from point A to B. Never do anything for getting a better rating, it comes across as needy and trying too hard and the pax picks on this and gets kick out of hammering you. Once the rider enters my car, I'm invisible and they probably get an Impression of riding in an automated vehicle. Don't worry about your rating, it will average out pretty soon to something decent to keep u going on the system.