• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

New driver looking for advice

FlexedCookie

Hi all. I'm super interested in becoming an Uber driver as a part time job to satisfy my financial needs whilst I'm completing my University degree.
There is a couple questions that I haven't been able to get concrete answers to, so I thought you guys would be the best to ask.

- I'm looking at working Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. On average, how much would I take home if I do like 10 hours on each of those nights?

- Insurance; what cover do you guys have and what is/ is there a better insurer for drivers?

- Is it worth it?

Cheers

Sameshiftdiffday

Dear Super Interested - that depends on the following questions '
What kind of car are you using ?
What has our UBER friends told you ?
How much do you need to satisfy your financial requirements ?
What are you studying at university?
Is it UQ or QUT?
For insurance how old are you ?
What rating are you ?
Do you have finance on your car ?

We will do what we can to show you the UBER way when we know more ..

FlexedCookie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi,

- I will be driving my 2010 Toyota Camry.
- Haven't had much contact with Uber yet; only sent one email to ask what's is necessary for becoming a driver. The rest of my information has come from other drivers that have driven me home.
- Not a significant amount. I will be doing Uber on top of another part-time job that I work at for one shift a week, so any net profit of over $150 -$200 would see me comfortable. More or less looking at doing it for the extra money.
- The University questions; not sure how relevant they are? If it turns out they are, I'll answer them then.
- I'm just under the 25 year old limit for insurance, with perfect rating (no claims/ never been at fault).
- I own my own car outright.

Cheers

Shock

I'm in a similar situation to you and usually just do Friday nights, maybe Sundays as well.

On Fridays I work 4:30 - 7:30 then take a big break for dinner - usually till 9:30. For some reason between 7 and 10 is pretty quite on a Friday. I then work till about 2am.

It fluctuates a lot, but on average I reckon I take home around $180 - $220 for that night, after Ubers cut (20%), GST (10%) and petrol (approx. $5 per hour for my car). So average income is around $25 an hour (before income tax) which is not amazing but beats working at Maccas. Saturday night is busier so more fares and more surges, but more @@@@wits.

Is it worth it? For people in our situations yes. It's a great part time job, not such a great full time job.

Some tips:
  • Don't go chasing surges. On your drivers app there will be hot zones on your map indicating surge pricing. Don't drive halfway across town or reject requests to get there - you'll just waste fuel. Surges usually either dry up quickly or no one actually requests (I've been told surges occur when there are many apps open in an area, not if there are many people hitting the request button).
  • Download the Waze app. It's a better navigation app.
  • Upon pickup, check the route before hand to see if its taking you through a toll road. Check with the rider if that's ok with them and plan an alternative route if its not. Some riders care about toll roads, some don't.
  • If you care about your rating, it's pretty cheap and easy to stock your car with water and Mentos. You can buy both in bulk from Office Works.
  • Keep your receipts (petrol and car maintenance) for tax reasons.
  • Sign up to petrol station loyalty programmes, eg Woolies 4 cents/litre off or BPs Velocity points. You're going to be buying a lot of fuel, may as well make the most of it.
  • The GPS locks onto the address of the nearest building, not the riders actual long and lat coords. Thus, with some buildings with multiple entrances (eg Story Bridge Hotel) you might have to SMS or call the rider to ascertain their location. Likewise in the CBD the GPS can be a little inaccurate and may show them at a wrong address.
  • Keep spare can of deodorant in the car. You're going to be sitting for ages and no one likes BO.
  • Buy vomit bags. One spewer can take you off the road. If someone does spew in the car open the windows ASAP to lessen the smell soaking into the fabric.
  • Remember if you arrive at an address, text and call and the rider still isn't showing after 5 mins, just leave. They will get charged a no-show fee and you've got better things to do.
  • Your rating starts at 5 so it will only decrease from there. Don't let that get to you. Most riders think 4 is an acceptable rating even though in Uber's eyes its a fail.

mjhofer

Shock,

I'm new too and that's awesome advice. I have another newbie question and thought it'd be helpful to be answered in this thread...
How clean do you need to keep your car? I mean detailing every other week gets expensive.
Do you just give it a good wipe down inside every couple of days and take it for wash when it starts getting visibly dirty outside?

Cheers mate.

Shock

Shock,

I'm new too and that's awesome advice. I have another newbie question and thought it'd be helpful to be answered in this thread...
How clean do you need to keep your car? I mean detailing every other week gets expensive.
Do you just give it a good wipe down inside every couple of days and take it for wash when it starts getting visibly dirty outside?

Cheers mate.
I'm probably a bit more pedantic than most.

I give it a quick wash (water and towel down) every time I go out. Proper wash maybe only once every 2 or 3 weeks.

I vacuum inside every time too - seems like its annoying but I think it actually takes less time in the long run as your not letting stuff get stamped into the floor. Wash over interior with all purpose spray every other time. Often, during the night, I will shake out the floor mats if someones brought in leafs or grass, too.

If you keep on top of regular cleaning theres no need for professional detailing IMHO.

Last edited:

sc00badiva

Hi all. I'm super interested in becoming an Uber driver as a part time job to satisfy my financial needs whilst I'm completing my University degree.
There is a couple questions that I haven't been able to get concrete answers to, so I thought you guys would be the best to ask.

- I'm looking at working Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. On average, how much would I take home if I do like 10 hours on each of those nights?

- Insurance; what cover do you guys have and what is/ is there a better insurer for drivers?

- Is it worth it?

Cheers
Please search and read this forum for GST and insurance. There is a lot of info you need to consider before starting. For example - Uber insurance has a $1000 excess if you need them, after your insurer declines. When you sell your car eventualy, there will be GST to pay. Many drivers have been fined by Qld TMR which Uber pays but record remains with driver.
Are you feeling lucky?

Instyle

Thanks for the answers guys. Any advice on car insurance?
As a bare minimum IF you do proceed to sign up with Uber. Opt for NRMA comprehensive 'Business' use with Special Occasion Hire checked. You also need to notify them you drive for Uber, the insurance will be expensive but it's the only coverage occasional drivers can get.

You need to have an active ABN and GST registered to submit quarterly Business Activity Statements where you'll pay 1/11 of the total fare (not just the portion you receive) on top of your normal income tax obligations.

In all honesty you won't earn too much at all after your true running expenses, GST and income tax are calculated. Keep in mind Uber has an uncapped number of drivers on the road and all drivers are eating from the same pie.

leadcurescancer

Q. I'm looking at working Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. On average, how much would I take home if I do like 10 hours on each of those nights?

A. You will take anywhere from $200-$400 in 10 hours minus Uber 20% and minus GST 10%. Allow $6 per hour for fuel with a camry, they are rubbish, I drive 2 of them.

Q. Insurance; what cover do you guys have and what is/ is there a better insurer for drivers?

A. At 21 you can forget it, to get Insurance from NRMA it cost you upwards of $4000 per year, YOUI insurance will be unobtainable at your age. Please read the forum about Insurance.

Q. Is it worth it?

A. If you have an accident without getting insurance from NRMA or YOUI, UBER will leave you on the hook legally for any and all claims, your car will be repaired only out of your pocket, the insurance company may not cover you if they find out you are an Uber driver.
If you have a job you get paid Superannuation and have zero risk/liability.
You will have worked legally in a job, it may come back to haunt you if you are charged with an offense driving illegally for Uber, an accident could be worse.
If you drive for Uber you run the risk of losing your car and everything you have(including future career) because of an accident while driving at any time on or off the clock for small financial gain.
You must register for and pay GST quarterly. You must pay tax and GST on the sale of your vehicle as it was used for business purposes.
Lastly it wrecks your car with the number of kilometres you drive.
I would never recommend anyone drive for Uber as things currently stand.

BurgerTiime

Quit now before you beat your car into the ground with little to no resale value and have your insurance drop you. If you don't, pray you don't get into an accident and get a dash cam to cover your arzzzzz:eek:

FlexedCookie

Q. Insurance; what cover do you guys have and what is/ is there a better insurer for drivers?

A. At 21 you can forget it, to get Insurance from NRMA it cost you upwards of $4000 per year, YOUI insurance will be unobtainable at your age. Please read the forum about Insurance.
A note on this for anyone following. I just got off the phone with NRMA then. For Comprehensive with Special Occasion Hire, they quoted about half of what you said.

Instyle

A note on this for anyone following. I just got off the phone with NRMA then. For Comprehensive with Special Occasion Hire, they quoted about half of what you said.
Really depends on the percentage of business use you intend, there is a question what is the percentage of GST credits you intend to claim basically your business vs private klms.

To be on the safe side, keep it as accurate as possible with log books for all klms business and private. The business percentage is usually quite high compared to private klms traveled. Typical Fri/Sat night between 200-400k, how does that compare to the amount of private klms you'd normally drive on friday night?

g00r

Or consider signing with Partner People as an alternative to registering for GST.

</end> blatant advertising

leadcurescancer

I pay $2500 annually with no claims and a fair bit older than you, I wonder how many km's you declared. Expect to do 80% of your driving each week for Uber, the typical quote is for occasional, read the fine print in detail.
Consider just driving a taxi instead or getting a job in the taxi call centres, the money will be comparable and you won't wreck your car or be doing anything illegal.

FlexedCookie

I pay $2500 annually with no claims and a fair bit older than you, I wonder how many km's you declared. Expect to do 80% of your driving each week for Uber, the typical quote is for occasional, read the fine print in detail.
Consider just driving a taxi instead or getting a job in the taxi call centres, the money will be comparable and you won't wreck your car or be doing anything illegal.
I was upfront and completely honest with NRMA. I told them how many K's I expected based on what other drivers from Brisbane have told me. Are you with NRMA as well?

germanguy

Is it worth it? For people in our situations yes. It's a great part time job, not such a great full time job.
So average income is around $25 an hour (before income tax) which is not amazing but beats working at Maccas.
I hope for your sake u dont study business or economics. Because this is just poor miscalculation from u. Its not worth at all.

And in what world does this risky job beats McDonald's? Never heard from a fast food worker that had to used his own deep fryer and had to pay the ingredients. Waiting for a request of fries and then received bad ratings when the cheap dip shits of customers expected some extra water with it. And I didnt know that a fast food worker talks only to their boss by sending mails to a poor CSR.

I would always prefer working for someone else then Uber. Even prostitutes and drug dealers have better working conditions.
Just dont do it.

And this talks about insurance is just stupid. I pay 800$ per year for a under insured car (private use). If I had to pay 3x or 5x times more how can you make money with Uber?

cpt.awesome

- Is it worth it?

Cheers
I've just put up a very detailed blog post that covers most of your questions and probably a few you haven't thought of, but can't post a link yet.
You can definitely make decent money in Brisbane if you plan carefully. Over $20 an hour without working hard. More with a little more effort and research.