New Driver income questions

Ryito1122334455

Hey guys new driver yet to take my first passenger. Live in youngstown market just opened. I can drive in Akron as well I assume as it's technicaly akron market.? Well wondering on what every ones average weekly income is. I'm trying to quit my job and do this full time. Can I make 600 a week? And could you break down expenses please thanks

Kalee

Hey guys new driver yet to take my first passenger. Live in youngstown market just opened. I can drive in Akron as well I assume as it's technicaly akron market.? Well wondering on what every ones average weekly income is. I'm trying to quit my job and do this full time. Can I make 600 a week? And could you break down expenses please thanks
Pro Tip:
Do NOT ... I repeat ... do NOT, quit your job!

Last edited:

Ryito1122334455

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why. If I can profit 200 to 300 a week min. I'll be loving life. It's cheep to live in youngstown and the freedom to run my own business again will take me back to the good days..I'd like to profit 600 a week but I don't expect to. Please tell me how much to expect thanks

ABC123DEF

Why do people refuse to believe that depending on Uber (especially in a small or mid-sized market) for steady income is a terrible idea? Every cent you make goes back into gas and maintenance and you suck all the miles out of your car. You also ruin your resume with a large gap if you ever want to get a decent job again and there's nobody you can list as a reference. This is the worst company ever created. Trust the vets.

Last edited:

Ryito1122334455

Still no numbers...I am a mechanic and do several tthings for money at the same time. Always have been an entrepreneur. Just would like to know how much side hustle I need to do...and i don't use your car as an expense..I already need a car for life so it's not fair to include that cost same as insurance.....maintenance is cheep since I do all my work myself....and anyone who can write half a resume would know uber isn't a GAP...it's self employment .customer service. logistics.many things besides a gap lol

crookedhalo

Well I can't give you numbers as I only drive if a need a little extra cash and I only drive times when it's more likely surge or for big events. But even numbers are unreliable as uber changes prices frequently and without warning. I personally average around $25 an hour when I do drive but it's always a gamble and you have to drive smart.

Kalee

Still no numbers...I am a mechanic and do several tthings for money at the same time. Always have been an entrepreneur. Just would like to know how much side hustle I need to do...and i don't use your car as an expense..I already need a car for life so it's not fair to include that cost same as insurance.....maintenance is cheep since I do all my work myself....and anyone who can write half a resume would know uber isn't a GAP...it's self employment .customer service. logistics.many things besides a gap lol
There's no need to give you any numbers.
Why not?
Because those of us that have been around this for a long time have seen a ton of newbies like you come along with a dream & dollar signs in their eyes, thinking they have found a gold mine and want us to confirm it for you. But we can't and don't and it bursts your bubble, then you get angry and try to rebut all good advice we try to give you.
But in the end, regardless of how solid our advice is, you're still going to do what you want to do.

So good luck, my friend. I just hope when you do get burned, it's fast and hot so that you get out of the fire sooner than later.

Last edited:

Roger in Canton

OK, I'll give you some numbers.... First you need to track ALL your miles. Log your odometer when you leave home and again when you return. These will be your "business miles ", will need them for tax time. If someone says they make $25/hour, that is probably a busy day/night and before expenses.

Figure out what it cost you per mile for gas/oil changes. I get about 22 mpg, so my cost is about $.10 per mile. How many more miles can you put on your car (and still be a nice car for your pax)? Divide that number into what you would have to pay for your car now. The answer is the replacement cost per mile. Mine comes out to about $.125/mile. Then guesstimate what you repair cost will be (shocks, ball joints, wheel bearing, tires, etc.). I figured about $.025/mile.

That makes my total cost per mile about $.25/mile (assuming gas prices hang around $2/gallon). The newer your car, the more that will be.

If I drive 200 miles in a day, that is $50 in expenses. Short rides pay more per mile (because of minimum fare) than long ones. A 1.5 mile run will net you around $2/mile. A run from Youngstown to Cleveland will be about $.70/mile. I know what your thinking! Your profit is $.45/mile...... I'm afraid not, you have to figure in your deadhead miles. Uber only pays you while a pax is in your car. Driving to pickup the pax and driving after you drop them off is on you. I have trouble keeping my deadhead miles below 100%. I drive mostly in the Canton/Massillon market (should be similar to Youngstown).

So if you drive 150 miles with a pax in the car and you net from Uber is $120, take $.25/mile times the total miles you drove, let's say 300 miles (if your lucky), that means your expenses were $75. Giving you actual profit of $45 for 8 to 10 hours of driving.

Since I started driving a few months ago, I probably averaged about $4/hour.

Some advice: Don't quit your day job. Don't drive around looking for fares. Enjoy the first couple weeks of Ubering, depending on your attitude, it will go down from there.

Oh, one more thing, all those business miles are tax deductible. At $.54/mile you will probably lose money (according to the IRS ), you will pay less in taxes.

Last edited:

Uber8er

Ryito1122334455 if you are a mechanic why in the hell would you want to work for below minimum wage especially in your market where I highly doubt you will see any surges. If you don't see surges than you're only working for wear and tear on car. Let's say you do all the work yourself on cars, isn't your time worth money?? If you in a market where it surges than yes it might be worth it otherwise hang your keys and tell uber to shove it.

Last edited:

Michael - Cleveland

I agree. Don't quit your job, try uber out for a couple weeks and see if you feel you can make it.
Make that at least 3 months - enough time to drive different schedules, different markets (Y-town/AKR/CLE) - different number of hours/wk, etc. Yes, right now you can clear $300-$600/wk after expenses. Is that really enough to live on AND be able to replace your car in 6 months to a year? At best, this is minimum wage work after expenses. A smart driver who generates decent tips can make a profit - but that only means making net earnings that are more than your expenses. It doesn't mean you're making a living. And most drivers don't even succeed in doing that.

If you're dead set on trying this, then do it in your 'free time' - don't quit your day job. And plan on working mostly in Akron/Canton-Cleveland markets as Youngstown is just not a big enough market (as of now).

One thing I have not yet heard anyone test out in Youngstown yet is early mornings (3A-9A) when business travelers may start using Uber for airport runs to Pittsburgh, AKR/CAN/CLE. That could be interesting.

Michael - Cleveland

Still no numbers...I am a mechanic and do several tthings for money at the same time. Always have been an entrepreneur.
Fair enough.
Just would like to know how much side hustle I need to do
Count on driving/working/waiting 60 hours/wk - and doing that outside of Youngstown.
...and i don't use your car as an expense..I already need a car for life so it's not fair to include that cost same as insurance....
You're mistaken (it's a common misconception). Your personal car is a depreciating asset. Used only for personal use, your expenses for maintenance and repairs are $x over a years time - and the value of your car declines by x amount over a year. Using your personal car 'for hire' and driving 10 times the mileage means that your expenses and your deprecation are 10 times the cost of personal use only. That twice a year oil change is now a monthly expense. You'll go through brakes every six months - and many other expenses depending on the age and condition of your car.
Using your maintenance is cheep since I do all my work myself....and anyone who can write half a resume would know uber isn't a GAP...it's self employment .
LOL! Listing 'Diving Uber' on your resume is the equivalent of saying "I couldn't hack it at my old job and now drive Uber out of desperation".

Numbers? They will vary GREATLY for each individual driver.
A good starting pont is UberHammer 's blog post on expenses:
https://uberpeople.net/xfa-blog-entry/how-to-calculate-costs-as-an-uber-driver.23/#comment-598

You came here to ask advice - but are arguing with the people here who have years and many, many miles of experience who are warning you that this whole 'be your own boss - earn what you want' thing that Uber sells you is complete marketing bullshit. Of the three dozen or so drivers I know personally in Cleveland/Akron, maybe 2 of them are making a living doing this full-time - and they drive both Lyft and Uber - and earn about 30% of their income in referrals/lyft-mentoring.

A few more numbers for you:

Living in Youngstown, you can expect to drive 3 miles to get paid for 1 mile.
(You are not compensated for the miles you drive to your pick-up - or any miles you drive after your drop-off)
After a half year of driving, you *may* have enough experience to reduce that to a ratio of 2 unpaid miles for each paid mile.

When looking at earnings potential, do not confuse FARES with EARNINGS.
The rider pays the total FARE.
You receive only EARNINGS, which is the total FARE the riders pays less the booking fee, less the Uber Fee (25% for Uber X).

On average, it takes 3 minutes to drive one mile.
So, let's look at a typical trip of 4 miles duration:

To get to the pick-up: ~12 minutes & ~3 miles
(and that's VERY conservative - in YTown, it WILL be longer and farther)

The ride: 4 miles @ $0.77 + 12 minutes @ $0.12 + $1 base fare, less 25% Uber Fee = $3.06 in RIDER FARE.
Expense: 3 miles & 10 minutes to the pick-up + 4 miles & 10 minutes for the ride + 3 miles & 10 minutes to get someplace other than the drop off location.

You've just spent half an hour of your life, 10 miles of your car's life and 1/2 gal of gas to generate $3.06 in earnings.

That comes out to about $6.50/hr - before the back-end expenses of car maintenance and repair and depreciation.
When all is said and done, you're doing charity work.

Last edited:

Uber8er

Why. If I can profit 200 to 300 a week min. I'll be loving life. It's cheep to live in youngstown and the freedom to run my own business again will take me back to the good days..I'd like to profit 600 a week but I don't expect to. Please tell me how much to expect thanks
One more thing please stop saying "Run my own business" is very cheesy and this is just uber it ain't no business man. It's a business for Travis you are just his slave.

Ryito1122334455

Thanks for all the info guys! I have a lot to consider and appreciate each and every one of you who provided feedback.

Tim In Cleveland

3/4 of all drivers nationwide are PART-TIME. That includes lucrative areas where they haven't dropped the per mile down as low as this market (vast majority of full-timers are here). Don't bother blathering on with arguments. 75% of drivers can't be wrong. They all feel you can't make a living at this. No one would bother with other jobs if this worked.

Last edited: