New Driver in NNJ - Where can we not drive?

thegamerdad

Hey there. I just started driving with UberX over the weekend. Mostly in the Northern NJ area (Morristown and the like). One of my fares started from near where I live to EWR. It was a nice quick ride, but it got me thinking about local laws and stuff I had heard about Taxi licenses and what not. Are we technically allowed to drop off at EWR? I figure Uber sees it as just a normal destination and calculates as such, but is it something that we can actually get in trouble for?

I plan to stick around the NNJ area, but are there any places that should be fully avoided for trouble with police?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: To hijack my own thread a bit, a second question. I have a pretty room trunk area (Subaru Outback). Is it required that my trunk be completely empty? I say this because it would be a lot easier if I can throw my kids booster seats back there and go online right from my 9-5.

thegamerdad

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are plenty of threads about EWR.. do some searching you'll find plenty of info..
I wasn't just referring to EWR, which I saw some threads on. I saw somewhere mentioned Hoboken is a no-go. That's what I was asking for general areas that are problematic. Also many of the EWR threads state stuff like "sit in the front seat" or "I've never been hassled."

SurgeorSuckit

I wasn't just referring to EWR, which I saw some threads on. I saw somewhere mentioned Hoboken is a no-go. That's what I was asking for general areas that are problematic. Also many of the EWR threads state stuff like "sit in the front seat" or "I've never been hassled."
I have worked Hoboken plenty of times at bar rush.. just be smart about it when picking up your drunk pax. Don't block traffic, call the pax have them come to you, get in/get out. You'll be fine if you just use some common sense - which you will see a lot of drivers lack..

Skyhakw2472

I plan to stick around the NNJ area, but are there any places that should be fully avoided for trouble with police?
Just drive and don't worry about where to pickup and dropoff. You will not get a solid answer anywhere. Just know that if you get a ticket or stopped Uber will most likely have your back, unless you committed an illegal turn or speeding or something outside of Uber's control. With over 1200 rides I have been pulled over once and stated I was Uber and the cop let me go with a warning to slow down. He commended the passengers for not driving while under the influence. Most areas cops are ok, but you still may find that one that is just a jerk. Very rare.

As for the trunk, if you have booster seats keep them there just in case. I have a booster seat for my child and keep it in the trunk while Ubering. Good luck.

from what i've learned on previous threads, EWR, hoboken, and Princeton junction are the spots to be aware of. Though a lot of the EWR threads of major concern were from 2015. Seems now, EWR is pretty safe. I did my first (and only) EWR drop off last week and it was a total breeze. I just asked the passenger to sit in the front (there were 3 passengers so one of them had to) and dropped the phone. I also asked the passenger to shake my hand and he ended up giving me a semi hug. Helped them with the luggage, got back in the car and I vanished.

I have done one dropoff in Hoboken around the beer garden and was seamless. I think you just can't be an idiot. Which is easier said than done. Especially as a new uber driver, you are filled with adrenaline the first couple rides and it may distract you. Stay sharp.

Xris Xros

Just drive and obey all traffic and parking rules, no blocking traffics, no picking up at bus stop or taxi area and you will be fine.

Tony from New Jersey

Hey there. I just started driving with UberX over the weekend. Mostly in the Northern NJ area (Morristown and the like). One of my fares started from near where I live to EWR. It was a nice quick ride, but it got me thinking about local laws and stuff I had heard about Taxi licenses and what not. Are we technically allowed to drop off at EWR? I figure Uber sees it as just a normal destination and calculates as such, but is it something that we can actually get in trouble for?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: To hijack my own thread a bit, a second question. I have a pretty room trunk area (Subaru Outback). Is it required that my trunk be completely empty? I say this because it would be a lot easier if I can throw my kids booster seats back there and go online right from my 9-5.
Legally the whole New Jersey state. Last time I checked nj map, ewr was still part of New Jersey, so it includes EWR too.
Some towns do not care, some even encourage it.

thegamerdad

look for a new job and make real money
I have a very good 9-5. I'm also a single dad who has my kids 50% of the time. Uber (or Lyft) is for a little pocket coin / something to do when I don't have the kids. I'm not looking to get rich off of it, but I love to drive, love talking to people, and like that when I want to "go online" I can.

I have a very good 9-5. I'm also a single dad who has my kids 50% of the time. Uber (or Lyft) is for a little pocket coin / something to do when I don't have the kids. I'm not looking to get rich off of it, but I love to drive, love talking to people, and like that when I want to "go online" I can.
good for you man. I do it for similar reasons. Just for some pocket coin that pays for other expenses, like gas. If i can earn 35 bucks a week my gas necessary for my other job is paid for. There are weeks that I don't go online.

thegamerdad

good for you man. I do it for similar reasons. Just for some pocket coin that pays for other expenses, like gas. If i can earn 35 bucks a week my gas necessary for my other job is paid for. There are weeks that I don't go online.
Yeah, I mean I've only driven 2 days for a few hours (yesterday and Monday) so I certainly don't have a lot to go by. But I have about $130 pending. That's gas for the week and a dinner with the boys, for doing something other than sitting home. Win / win.

PorkRollUberAndCheese

Here is the basic list:

1) Top rule: don't pick up in the middle of the street. Get to a curb. Doesn't matter if the curb is yellow. You just need to be close to the sidewalk as possible. Don't impede traffic.

2) EWR: Passenger sits shotgun. Don't sit and impede traffic at the terminals. Get in, get out.

3) Princeton and Princeton Junction: Taxis are very territorial and will call cops on you. West Windsor and Princeton cops don't have much to do.

4) Shore: it's gotten MUCH more relaxed since last year. However: don't impede traffic, don't stop in the middle of the street, make pickups as safe as possible, and use The Uber Lots if the bar has them.

Old Dude

Great tips all. Thank you for your help.
Just remember that Uber was and still is operating illegally in the state of NJ, particularly at the EWR airport where you have a great chance to be ticketed by the Port Authority Police Department officer. The penalty is heavy and can be more than $3,000. And even though Uber will reimburse you and provide their lawyer to be with you at the court, you will end up loosing a day from your job. Most importantly, you need to hide your Uber activity from your own insurance, otherwise your insurance will drop you and you will have a hard time to find an equal replacement. Now, assuming that I am right and I know I am, ask yourself a question - does it worth to gamble with all that I mentioned for a lousy 85 cents per mile (minus tear and wear, taxes and gas) ???

Tony from New Jersey

Just remember that Uber was and still is operating illegally in the state of NJ, particularly at the EWR airport where you have a great chance to be ticketed by the Port Authority Police Department officer. The penalty is heavy and can be more than $3,000. And even though Uber will reimburse you and provide their lawyer to be with you at the court, you will end up loosing a day from your job. Most importantly, you need to hide your Uber activity from your own insurance, otherwise your insurance will drop you and you will have a hard time to find an equal replacement. Now, assuming that I am right and I know I am, ask yourself a question - does it worth to gamble with all that I mentioned for a lousy 85 cents per mile (minus tear and wear, taxes and gas) ???
Don't not forget 20-25% commission on top of it. 85 cents per mile is definitely NOT worth it.
More and more uber X drivers are realizing this and leave the gig or become
Uber black.
That is the main reason, rider can not find uber X in New jersey (day time) but Uber Black is available.

Uber00

The pocket change $35 bucks a week is not worth the risk of injured passenger in an accident while ubering. I've had close to 2000 rides between Uber/lyft with no accidents since I started in November 2015.

I use to be able to.go online from my kitchen 7am-9am and 4pm to 7pm for guaranteed surge this was even back in April

It's a joke now.. got a full time job now..

Never had a dash cam. Funny how all lyft passengers dont have a real picture anymore, I go online sometimes just for kicks

Attachments

MaximusMurkimus

EWR used to be unsafe, but $10 million later and Uber is officially sanctioned there. Just be careful with Terminal A, that is owned by Elizabeth and operate under their rules.

Same with Hoboken. A year or two ago and it was illegal despite how popular it was, now it's a hotspot, with Uber's NJ office being located there and the mayor working things out.

The biggest thing for busy cities is not to block the road. Pax can sometimes take their sweet time getting out, but don't let that force you to block traffic. If police stop you, just tell them you're dropping off or picking up Pax, and if they tell you to move along, take your Pax and go or cancel and get out of the area if they are still not there. I've done over 500 trips with no issue with police.

That being said, avoid the Garden State Parkway North during the midday. State Police are complete jerks and will pull over the most people then because there's no heavy traffic to worry about. You should be okay during night, though.

The pocket change $35 bucks a week is not worth the risk of injured passenger in an accident while ubering. I've had close to 2000 rides between Uber/lyft with no accidents since I started in November 2015.

I use to be able to.go online from my kitchen 7am-9am and 4pm to 7pm for guaranteed surge this was even back in April

It's a joke now.. got a full time job now..

Never had a dash cam. Funny how all lyft passengers dont have a real picture anymore, I go online sometimes just for kicks

the risk is mitigated if you do not go online that much and drive carefully. I drive during the day on weekdays when I have the time. God forbid you have an accident, uber has liability insurance that covers that. The risk is on the driver if he/she has gaps in his/her insurance. As OldDude posted above, you have to lie to you insurance if you don't have the added rideshare credential or if your insurance currently doesn't cover rideshare drivers at all. Best to know that. If they find out you are ridesharing, they may not cover you even if you are in an accident when you are driving personally. That was Geico's policy. That's why I switched from geico to farmers.

yes, while uber is technically illegal in NJ, I think the days of awful tickets, impounding, are over. If you read the threads that discuss that, most are from 2015. Everyone uses uber and loves it, its a fact, no politician is going to publicly go against uber and distress constituents.

Times change. Blockbuster put the mom and pop video rental stores that were in every town out of business. Then netflix came and ended blockbuster.

Coffeekeepsmedriving

anyone who has a very good job dose not drive for uber.
I had a loss last year on my taxes, so why would you work for pennies if you have a very good job