New driver in GSO with questions... please help?

Lilly84

Ok, I literally just signed up to do this, today. But before I take my 1st rider, I need to clarify a few things. Any advice would be great!
1. Insurance: When does the Uber insurance start covering me and does it cover all 3 phases of the ride (in NC)? When I call my insurance company, what the heck do I tell them?
2. Do riders sit in the front or back seat?
3. Are minors allowed in the car? (Either my kid or the rider's kids)
4. Do I need to takes my kid's car seat out? (That's a real pain in the ass)
5. How often do riders need to put stuff in the trunk? Do I need to clear that area out as well?
6. What are the best times in Greensboro, to be online?
7. Does anyone do long distance driving? (1 hour or more)

Adbam

1 insurance coverage starts when passenger is in the car for sure. Some locations have coverage when your on the way to pick up.
2 riders sit in the front and back seat.
3 your kids no. Riders kids yes (with an adult)
4.yes
5 yes, yes
6 probably Thursday Friday sat night
7. Rarely

Newwber

1. Phase 1 (app is on but not accepted a ping) only covers the other guy.... no coverage on your car..... Not a big deal if you have a car with low value and no lien. I'm a bit fuzzy on the 100% complete scoop on insurance so I'm sorry I can't be more help.
2. I prefer folks sit in the back.... but don't really mind if a single rider sits up front (especially the ladies :biggrin:)
3. You aren't supposed to have an unaccompanied minor in your car.... however, many of them fudge it when they set up the app and say they are 18. You should not uber with your kid(s) in the car.
4. Without a doubt.
5. Mostly airport runs..... but yes, that area should by tidy as well.
6. I'm a Raleigh boy and only drive when the sun shines..... so I can't help you there.
7. You never know how long that next ride might be (since we don't know the destination until we start the trip or ask ahead of time). I try to make sure my tank is full and my bladder is empty as concurrently as possible.:rolleyes:

I'm sure you've encountered drunk dudes in your life..... but have you ever had drunk dude strangers in your car? Always think safety first...... I'm 6' 2" and not a wimp by any means..... but I avoid risk at all cost, which is why I only drive during the day. Spend a few hours reading this board in many of the different areas (Pay/Technology/Stories/etc).... it's a bit depressing - but the truth is often a jagged little pill!

Good luck!

wk1102

Have them sit where ever you feel comfortable, most will ask or just get in the back, some do just jump in the front. I prefer them in the front, it's less it more comfortable for me plus I can see what they are doing. If a single riders asks me I say anywhere buy behind me. It's a bit creepy when a single rider sits behind me I do not like it at all and I will ask them to slide over. It could be a 95 lb girl it doesn't matter it makes me very uncomfortable.

Keep your doors locked and Crack your passenger window only enough to verify your rider, get their name and make them say yours of you are unsure. You can ask to see the request.

The car seat will have to come out, you'll have 4 riders at some point. After a few weeks of driving you'll be able to get that thing in in seconds. I can!

I try to keep very little in my car but I forget to empty the back sometimes. Never fails either, I'll have my kids baseball stuff a few chairs a bag of this and that and I'll get an airport run with multiple suitcases.

I have no idea about your market but I do surprisingly well during the day, weekend nights are busier but I get better runs during the day.

Driver100

Ok, I literally just signed up to do this, today. But before I take my 1st rider, I need to clarify a few things. Any advice would be great!
1. Insurance: When does the Uber insurance start covering me and does it cover all 3 phases of the ride (in NC)? When I call my insurance company, what the heck do I tell them?
The recent NC addendum says from the time you have your Uber app on and are available to accept rider requests;
Not sure....

2. Do riders sit in the front or back seat?
They will, by choice, sit in both- there are ways you can encourage them to sit in the back, but they still have the choice. You need to accommodate up to 4 riders, which for many cars, is one "riding shotgun," three in the backseat.

3. Are minors allowed in the car? (Either my kid or the rider's kids)
Yes.

4. Do I need to takes my kid's car seat out? (That's a real pain in the ass)
Yes. (use proper language please).

5. How often do riders need to put stuff in the trunk? Do I need to clear that area out as well?
Occasionally, partially clear trunk so at least two suitcases can fit there for airport runs, at minimum.

6. What are the best times in Greensboro, to be online?
Not sure, but rush hour, e.g. 6a-9a and 3-6p is peak in many locations.

7. Does anyone do long distance driving? (1 hour or more)Nothing longer than 40 minutes, so far. You may wish to self impose a 50 mile limit....

Rcmp

Hmm, also unasked or answered - what are you looking to accomplish Lilly? write that down and check your results every week or two. it varies for each of us, if you know your why, it will help you measure the results.

Also, given your questions, record your mileage!!! any method is fine including pen and paper.

Finally, I think, maintenance. watch it like a hawk. miles add up and not knowing your vehicle, keeping it in good shape is more important for when you aren't driving uber then when you are.

Happy thanksgiving.

Ubercash?

I'm happy you replied to an old thread. Good info here for new drivers. I'm cautiously contemplating. Definitely worried about safety.

Bill Wirth

When you first start out you maybe attempting to reach some goal of trips for a bonus! So this may cause you to accept trips and just do them to reach a number! After doing this look at how much you have made and the miles driven. After doing this start to get smart and don't accept pings from more than 7 minutes away unless they are surge rates. Uber can not deactivate you for low acceptance but they can deactivate you for canceling so try not to accept crazy stuff!

TheRush

Well I have a question from the other direction, is there a way to NOT get airport calls!
I hate going to GSO. I drive there wait and end up deadheading back to winston.
ever time I go to the airport I loose money and miss calls from the winston area.
bottom line I dont want airport runs...How can we not take airport runs???

Dahkei

Well I have a question from the other direction, is there a way to NOT get airport calls!
I hate going to GSO. I drive there wait and end up deadheading back to winston.
ever time I go to the airport I loose money and miss calls from the winston area.
bottom line I dont want airport runs...How can we not take airport runs???
There is no way to block the request. If the trip is a loser then just don't take it. Ask rider to request another car. If you already started the trip then you can refund the pax in the Help section of the app.