New driver in Bristol

JimmyJ89

Hey everyone,
I'm from Bristol pa and just started yesterday. I did 3 trips out of philly but I'm mainly planning on driving out of the bucks county area. I plan working mostly weekdays after 3pm and weekends. Any advice from other drivers in the area?

jaien39

Hey everyone,
I'm from Bristol pa and just started yesterday. I did 3 trips out of philly but I'm mainly planning on driving out of the bucks county area. I plan working mostly weekdays after 3pm and weekends. Any advice from other drivers in the area?
The real Question would be:
Are you Ready, Willing, and Able to defend yourself for the likelihood of imminent pax assault ??
Are you Ready to Fuel up your car every other day ?
Are you Ready to do a Oil Change every other week?
Are you ok with earning around $5 per hour and have most of your pax expect the world from you??
The Pax expect you are from the area, be their long time best friend, be their Psychiatrist, be their long lost Mama or Papa and You better have the "New Car Smell" . And you better have Cold Water, Candies, Snacks, in order to earn their "5 star" rating.

Lastly if you want to Curse the Pax out. Never said F-U Too, just say UBER-U-TOO.
Have a Uber U Day. (Uber - The New curse Word in Town)

Last edited by a moderator:

bobby747

Jimmy alot he says is true. . Low pay alot of fuel. Oil chances. I work city but I disagree with nite Rider. City with DNC OVER loaded. Burbs can be less stress full and bigger pay if surges and not alot of $3 20 net rides

JimmyJ89

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll most likely stay away from the city. I'm really just doing this for extra cash. I just did an hour of driving after work and made around $14. So far it seems to be worth it. I was really just looking for tips from people local to my area.

Webster614

I'm from the NE, up in Somerton/Bustleton. I tend to end up in Bristol/Bensalem a lot. While I enjoy driving, the area overall just sucks for Uber. Surges rarely take place, never really go above a 2.2 (maybe 2.8 for a very short period), but a lot of 4 buck rides. The best night I've had (other than last night with the DNC) was when I somehow ended up in Doylestown for the night and drove on the 3.0 surge for a few trips. Otherwise just expect a lot of small trips.

IDK what Jaein is talking about, I've yet to have a bad experience with a PAX, I don't fear for my life, I have yet to have a PAX expect cold water, candies, sweets, etc. I don't mind them wanting to @@@@@ and rant to me about their bad day (part of the reason I do this, I enjoy that part). I've only been driving for about a month, have well over 100 trips, roughly 75 have been rated and of them 70 are 5 star. I do nothing special. I keep a clean, decent smelling car.... because who gives a rats ass what the PAX thinks, I want to drive a vehicle that smells good, not like sht. I've had one pain in the ass trip and it was a young drunk couple from fishtown that wanted some horrible music blasting at top volume. I respected them in their drunk state and got a good tip out of it. No big deal.

I have recently been venturing in to the city but it's a pain in the backside to be honest. A TON of cancellations, lots of small 4 dollar trips, then the one trip that takes you either back to the NE or out to Chester County or DelCo. That's the worst about it.

Overall I enjoy doing it. I don't get too bogged down in the hourly rate thing. I put gas in every 2 days, and I'd be doing that if I wasn't driving Uber anyway. I work usually 5 hour nights and bring home between 85-100 bucks. That's fine in my books for what I need Uber for. Would it be great to have more? Sure.

jaien39

I'll most likely stay away from the city. I'm really just doing this for extra cash. I just did an hour of driving after work and made around $14. So far it seems to be worth it. I was really just looking for tips from people local to my area.
You are just New and Naive. Come back 2 month from now and check back here and read when you were before Uber and what you have become after Uber.
Just like you, most Uber Driver drive mostly just for Extra Cash and an hour here and there and soon you too will realize Uber Pax are the dumbest, cheapest and Low life of the lowest human being there is. Sure you will bump in some few Cool Pax once in a while but the majority of the Pax are just plain Stupid and Cheap.

Gees2016

Pax are cheap especially in the city....my opinion stay away from the convention....you have to feel your way....find an area then go from there.

kevink

I'm from the Bristol area as well. I tend to gravitate towards the Langhorne/Newtown area though. Seemed to me like I was getting a lot of mini fares in the Bristol area. For whatever reason, I've had more success with getting longer trips up that way - a number to Center City, a couple to the airport, and a good number to either New Hope or Doylestown.

JimmyJ89

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think ill hang out in that area then. It seemed to surge a bit last night but was out of range to get any of the surge rates

paulmsr

I tend to gravitate towards the Langhorne/Newtown area though
i live in the warminster area and when i open the app I see the Langhorne/Newtown area surge quite often. usually only up to 1.5x, sometimes 2.1x, but you'll get a brief period there nightly

tradedate

Welcome. Don't drive too far out trying to go into surge areas. If it's 5-10 minutes away, then fine. Further than that may not be worth it. By the time you get there, the surge may be gone.

Start figuring out what areas to park at while you wait for the next trip. There's a few key locations that put you in a good spot to grab riders from the general area.

Get vomit bags from one of the local pharmacies and put them in visible locations all around your car. Lot's of stories on here about drunk/sick riders vomiting in cars.

Study this forum like it's the Word from on high. Most questions you'll come up with have already been asked and answered here.