New driver experience in Phoenix market

albertphx

Hello all,
So after lurking at the forums here for an while and gaining some helpful info on this rideshare gig, I thought I should try to contribute to the forums and post my experiences so far for potential new drivers that are thinking about signing up, so here goes.
My lifetime rides (Uber x) at this point is about 80. Average per hr is roughly $6 to $7 per hr after accounting for gas and car depreciation. Tips would make an big difference in my hourly but don't be expecting any in this gig. In 80 trips, I got 3, All from pax over 40. So far, never got an tip yet from an younger pax. Tempe mill ave is very busy, but I never got an long trip out of there. I'm only able to do this nights, so I don't have much experiences with the airport yet but I would guess it's an class of pax that goes further and higher chance of tip?
So far, driving uber seems to be the way to go for the desperate or for those that just enjoys carting people around for spare money in their spare time.

backstreets-trans

Hello all,
So after lurking at the forums here for an while and gaining some helpful info on this rideshare gig, I thought I should try to contribute to the forums and post my experiences so far for potential new drivers that are thinking about signing up, so here goes.
My lifetime rides (Uber x) at this point is about 80. Average per hr is roughly $6 to $7 per hr after accounting for gas and car depreciation. Tips would make an big difference in my hourly but don't be expecting any in this gig. In 80 trips, I got 3, All from pax over 40. So far, never got an tip yet from an younger pax. Tempe mill ave is very busy, but I never got an long trip out of there. I'm only able to do this nights, so I don't have much experiences with the airport yet but I would guess it's an class of pax that goes further and higher chance of tip?
So far, driving uber seems to be the way to go for the desperate or for those that just enjoys carting people around for spare money in their spare time.
Thanks for reporting back. We've had a lot of new drivers joining but we don't really get to hear much from them after they start. I try to be honest on here and discourage people from buying new cars and making a major investment in uber. It's not worth it but people really believe the hype until they drive for a while. Car depreciation, car abuse and increased risk of accidents are real concerns. This job can be fun at times working with the drinking crowd but after a while those fun drunks just become annoying. In my honest opinion drivers need to be grossing at least $20/hr for this job to be worth while because they deserve it for all the risk, expenses and hassles involved.

Waiting to hear from the other newbees.

Last edited:

Kimster112

I've done 47 Ubers and 27 Lyft's so far. Last night I cleared $18.71 after gas and depreciation but that's not typical. I got a $10 tip from a drunk Lyft rider + $2 from the actual rider and a $10 tip from an out of town Uber rider. Usually I only make about $10 - $14 an hour. Driving a smaller more fuel efficient vehicle helps a lot. I started out driving our family car but it sucks on gas and we still owe on it. Thank goodness we needed a third vehicle because we have a couple kids with licenses now. We decided on a used 2015 Hyundai Elantra with 35k miles and paid cash. My kids use it during the day and I use it at night when I drive. I don't drive every night, but the extra money helps. I love reading what other drivers have to say on here and it's helped me a lot on how and where I drive.

Thank you all for your great advice and humor.

Happy Independence Day!!!

BillyBob444

Inn n out Burger pays $11.00 with 401k!!! You dont have to buy a car and the risks are fairly low. So for the newbies do the math and think before you head over to Broadway.
Yea but you have to work when they want you to. With goober you can work when you feel like. Big difference.

Kimster112

I didn't buy a car to do this. I needed the car regardless. That it works for driving was just a bonus. I'm also not physically able to work a regular job right now. Driving allows me the freedom to do it when I'm able and stay at home when I'm not up to driving. No normal job is going to give me that flexibility. Before telling people they can do something else know their situation.

albertphx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Airport Uber customers DO NOT tip any more than any other Uber passenger. After all, tipping is not necessary with Uber!
I actually did my first 2 airport trips today and although I helped with luggage and everything, there were no tip given, so your probably right. But I didn't mind , since the 2 trips totaled about $35 in fare.
If the trips nets me $7 or better , then I'm fine with Pax not tipping. But if they do minimum fare trips and I had to wait for them,etc I think they should tip at least 2$. And I wouldn't even consider that first 2$ an tip since those trips are break even trips and I'm not actually being paid for my time.

Sweitzeram

I always help with the luggage.. Not because I'm expecting a tip but because I don't want them smashing it against my bumper like in sure most if them do when they load/unload their own luggage.

PhoenixIdle

I might try some Airports during the evening this week. I need to raise $350 more in cash this week and cannot drive this Saturday night. If it gets me $45 for 3 hours, I'm all for it.

njharrel

So I just broke 40 rides. Only on uber. I made $370 after tips ($13). My total online time was 22 hours. I have a paid for corolla that get 40MPG. Some of that time (3-4 hours) was just having the app on while I drove to my regular job. I also already track milage. I think this is where a lot of new people make mistakes.
People do not track expenses and write them off at the end of the year. Many people are also paying on a vehicle. This lowers your pay dramaticly.
I also run with the rider app on and see the ants chasing surge or always driving, thus costing more to be out.

This will not make you rich, well off, or support your family of 4. But it does help gain just a little more on your time, when you want. I enjoy most of the riders but I have also only done the suburbs early morning on the way to my full time job.
Today, however has been so slow. I have never seen so many drivers on the west side of town.