New Driver assist App needs testers pre launch

luke2019

Sponsor
Past Sponsor
G’day All, Luke here.

I’m a Sydney based Uber driver with over 6,000 rides experience and like just about every other driver I’ve spoken to, I HATE doing the accounting required to satisfy Business Activity Statement and end of year tax requirements.

To deal with it once and for all I got together with a programmer buddy about 18 months ago and we’ve developed an affordable App called Driver BAS ‘n Tax www.driverbnt.com

Our App helps drivers deal with BAS and accounting obligations to the ATO by doing 3 things:

1. We help you maintain an electronic logbook in your smartphone;

2. We help you photograph and track your expenses – and securely store that data in cloud storage;

3. We generate your BAS statements and income statements – as often as you want to run them – you can then either simply send them to your accountant or complete your ATO returns yourself;

Most importantly we’ve made the App look and feel as little like an accounting App as possible – and tried to make it easy to use!!

We’re just about ready to list Driver BAS ‘n Tax in the App and Google Play stores and as a final check are asking for 5 active iPhone and 5 active android drivers to use the App and give us their feedback.

In return we’re giving those users 12 months free subscription to Driver BAS ‘n Tax (valued at $120).

To sign up as a tester just go to www.driverbnt.com and register.

If we receive more registrations than the 10 drivers we’re looking for, those extra registrants will receive 15% off their first year’s subscription when Driver BAS ‘n Tax launches in coming weeks.

Thanks for your help.

Immoralized

G’day All, Luke here.

I’m a Sydney based Uber driver with over 6,000 rides experience and like just about every other driver I’ve spoken to, I HATE doing the accounting required to satisfy Business Activity Statement and end of year tax requirements.

To deal with it once and for all I got together with a programmer buddy about 18 months ago and we’ve developed an affordable App called Driver BAS ‘n Tax www.driverbnt.com

Our App helps drivers deal with BAS and accounting obligations to the ATO by doing 3 things:

1. We help you maintain an electronic logbook in your smartphone;

2. We help you photograph and track your expenses – and securely store that data in cloud storage;

3. We generate your BAS statements and income statements – as often as you want to run them – you can then either simply send them to your accountant or complete your ATO returns yourself;

Most importantly we’ve made the App look and feel as little like an accounting App as possible – and tried to make it easy to use!!

We’re just about ready to list Driver BAS ‘n Tax in the App and Google Play stores and as a final check are asking for 5 active iPhone and 5 active android drivers to use the App and give us their feedback.

In return we’re giving those users 12 months free subscription to Driver BAS ‘n Tax (valued at $120).

To sign up as a tester just go to www.driverbnt.com and register.

If we receive more registrations than the 10 drivers we’re looking for, those extra registrants will receive 15% off their first year’s subscription when Driver BAS ‘n Tax launches in coming weeks.

Thanks for your help.
Good luck with the software launch mate. :smiles:

luke2019

Sponsor
Past Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cheers immoralized - feedback has been great so far!

Dhaw

You think Uber ants can afford $120 per year for a tax app? I hope you can apply it to other higher paying jobs . Good luck.

luke2019

Sponsor
Past Sponsor
G'day Dhaw - thanks for the comment. Over the last 12 months we've spoken to a range of drivers who are trying to manage their accounting and tax responsibilities - ranging from drivers that are paying for full blown accounting apps like MYOB and QuickBooks; to those paying their accountants every month (or quarter) to reconcile their expenses and finalize their BAS and income statements; to those that spend countless hours trying to do this work themselves. If you fit into any of those categories Driver BAS 'n Tax should prove to be much much cheaper for you - and much easier to use.

Max Arnold

Will you be contacting FUber on the drivers behalf when they issue incorrect reports and short play's etc.
Also you should not be misleading stating the it is pointless to buy MYOB ETC. And this is better.
After 5 years you app will be more expensive than the MYOB I purchased 6 years ago and will be using it until I retire.

Immoralized

Will you be contacting FUber on the drivers behalf when they issue incorrect reports and short play's etc.
Also you should not be misleading stating the it is pointless to buy MYOB ETC. And this is better.
After 5 years you app will be more expensive than the MYOB I purchased 6 years ago and will be using it until I retire.
Let the person advertise his/her business as he has paid for sponsorship privileges to do so.
Other cheaper options exist that are reliable and have a cheaper annual fee but this is their thread at promoting awareness.

It not fair for the sponsor to be attacked without you actually buying and using the software first and reviewing it yourself. In which case you'll know the general in & outs of what they have to offer compared to what you are using right now.

Max Arnold

Let the person advertise his/her business as he has paid for sponsorship privileges to do so.
Other cheaper options exist that are reliable and have a cheaper annual fee but this is their thread at promoting awareness.

It not fair for the sponsor to be attacked without you actually buying and using the software first and reviewing it yourself. In which case you'll know the general in & outs of what they have to offer compared to what you are using right now.
I was only commenting on his post and asking a question

luke2019

Sponsor
Past Sponsor
Thanks for the comments guys - Max we're not suggesting you stop using whatever software you've paid for - we're just having a crack at doing something else. We can't possibly be the solution to everyone's issues with Uber - and we're not trying to be - we're just offering something that might help with a few of those issues. We hope to get an App product to market that anyone can use - without a lot of cost - we'd much rather a lot of people use our App and like it - at low cost - than charge a lot for it and have only a few customers.

Silk Singh

Why would someone pay $120 for an App, then go and pay for an Account.

To track all of the expenses just use one card.

No Thanks

luke2019

Sponsor
Past Sponsor
Thanks for the comments again Guys. Our App tries to deal with not just the expenses but with the GST on those expenses too - and because we have a built-in logbook - the apportioning of your motor vehicle expenses and GST on those expenses between the business and personal use of your vehicle. We're still finalizing our commercial terms with the App and Google Play stores but we expect the $120 referred to by Silk will be simply a $10 per month subscription - on a month by month basis - with our App users free to cancel their subscription on 1 months notice. That way, if you like our App you keep using it - if you don't you cancel. If you spend $120 it'll be because you like our App and want to keep using it.

RoboRider

It does seem a bit steep when you consider there are things like My Uber Income that ask for $10 as a yearly fee. I would also like to see more detailed info on how it handles the income side of things - perhaps you should consider allowing an evaluation period that lets people test it out before committing to $120.

Hugh G

Here's an option you might consider putting on the App - I will call it the "reality" option...

When your app is open it should scan/peruse/extract data from the Driver's app. This data could be then used to show some actual real time figures for the current day/week

Ideally if you could extract:
  • Total online time
  • Total online paid time
  • Total online km travelled
  • Total online paid km
  • Total payment to driver
  • Total payment to driver minus tolls etc
This could allow the driver to see a more realistic view of earnings .

Initially the driver could put in an estimate of per km costs which could show the driver a more accurate nett figure per day/week

luke2019

Sponsor
Past Sponsor
Thanks guys, a couple of responses to these comments:

Firstly, for you RoboRider - we've deliberately taken a different approach with Driver BAS 'n Tax - by trying to make the App work so the driver's "working shift" is finished when he/she exits the car. All data can be collected while you're sitting in the car - meaning you don't have to run spreadsheets after hours - and when you exit the car you're done. Regarding the evaluation period - we've been funding the App development ourselves for the last 18 months and are presenting it at a price point (2 cups of coffee a month) that we hope will be Ok for most drivers.

Secondly, for you Hugh - I basically agree with you. I like being able to really analyse my in car "performance" over time and kilometres. In later versions of the App we might be able to get to that point but for now our focus is on dealing with being able to manage quarterly BAS and quarterly / annual income and tax.

RoboRider

Thanks guys, a couple of responses to these comments:

Firstly, for you RoboRider - we've deliberately taken a different approach with Driver BAS 'n Tax - by trying to make the App work so the driver's "working shift" is finished when he/she exits the car. All data can be collected while you're sitting in the car - meaning you don't have to run spreadsheets after hours - and when you exit the car you're done. Regarding the evaluation period - we've been funding the App development ourselves for the last 18 months and are presenting it at a price point (2 cups of coffee a month) that we hope will be Ok for most drivers.

Secondly, for you Hugh - I basically agree with you. I like being able to really analyse my in car "performance" over time and kilometres. In later versions of the App we might be able to get to that point but for now our focus is on dealing with being able to manage quarterly BAS and quarterly / annual income and tax.
But you have to run your income reports outside the car and also not every expense is incurred while in the car. I understand what you are aiming at but still want to have a better idea of how you handle the income side and think that an evaluation option is something you should consider ... many programs have this as a choice. BTW in 6 months of driving I have bought 0 coffees so maybe I am just a tight-ass who is comfortable doing things himself but who knows :p

I manually scrape my data each week and have a full record of every trip, time taken, distance, tolls,surge etc that reconciles up through daily, weekly and monthly sheets as well as a full record of expenses to give me BAS and P&L. Doesn't take me long each week to do it each week but I do like playing with spreadsheets so I am probably not the average driver:p

luke2019

Sponsor
Past Sponsor
Cheers RoboRider - your point regarding expenses is correct - I guess what we're hoping you can achieve is 1 spell doing admin outside the car each month - for the shortest amount of time possible - to take care of those sort of expenses (insurance, vehicle depreciation etc).

BTW I use coffee buying as a voodoo way of getting Uber to give me rides - almost every time I get out of the car to get a coffee I get pinged with a ride opportunity! Some days I only have to start counting out the coins from the centre console for it to work!

I can both admire and appreciate the spreadsheet analyses you've put together for your UBER work - it would just do my head in trying to do that for myself!