New driver! A few questions!

ea17296

Hi everyone!!

I'm a new female driver and last night was my first time working. Yay! I had a great time! I did have one scenario that was a little strange and I'm wondering how I should have handled it...

I was requested for a pickup in a strange neighborhood that I wasn't familiar with. As soon as I pulled in it was a place my intuition told me I shouldn't be. Immediately I went to cancel the ride and get the heck out of there. I couldn't figure out how to cancel the ride though? While I was fumbling with the app a strange man approached my car. He started talking to me and I immediately asked him what his name was. When I knew he wasn't my passenger I closed the window and told him I was waiting for someone. When my passenger came in he said: "Sorry...I try to be out quickly so stuff like that doesn't happen" YIKES!

Can I cancel a ride before my passenger enters the car? Could I have just driven off to a safe location and cancelled later? Thanks!

Michael - Cleveland

Yes. When you are traveling to a pickup or waiting for your riders to arrive, and before you hit the Start Trip button, you can tap on the menu and choose either Contact or Cncel. When you choose cancel, you will be asked to select a reason for the cancellation. To cancel without charging the rider, choose the first option, "Do not charge Rider".

Welcome to the Cleveland group here on UP.net!

WillyG

Yes. When you are traveling to a pickup or waiting for your riders to arrive, and before you hit the Start Trip button, you can tap on the menu and choose either Contact or Cncel. When you choose cancel, you will be asked to select a reason for the cancellation. To cancel without charging the rider, choose the first option, "Do not charge Rider".

Welcome to the Cleveland group here on UP.net!
In the scenario you mentioned you can do what Michael suggests after driving a safe distance down the street.

Kalee

Hi everyone!!

I'm a new female driver and last night was my first time working. Yay! I had a great time! I did have one scenario that was a little strange and I'm wondering how I should have handled it...

I was requested for a pickup in a strange neighborhood that I wasn't familiar with. As soon as I pulled in it was a place my intuition told me I shouldn't be. Immediately I went to cancel the ride and get the heck out of there. I couldn't figure out how to cancel the ride though? While I was fumbling with the app a strange man approached my car. He started talking to me and I immediately asked him what his name was. When I knew he wasn't my passenger I closed the window and told him I was waiting for someone. When my passenger came in he said: "Sorry...I try to be out quickly so stuff like that doesn't happen" YIKES!

Can I cancel a ride before my passenger enters the car? Could I have just driven off to a safe location and cancelled later? Thanks!
Trust your gut. If something feels wrong, get out of the area and then cancel the ride.

A rideshare driver was just killed in a bad area of Cleveland
https://uberpeople.net/threads/lyft-driver-shot-dead-in-cleveland.197429/

Don't take any risks and always carry some form of self defense.

Good luck and I pray for God to watch after you

WillyG

Trust your gut. If something feels wrong, get out of the area and then cancel the ride.

A rideshare driver was just killed in a bad area of Cleveland
https://uberpeople.net/threads/lyft-driver-shot-dead-in-cleveland.197429/

Good luck and I pray for God to watch after you
Friday night I dropped off the son of the couple who responded to the passenger's screams and called the ambulance for the driver and pax. Rolled right through the intersection where it happened just across from their driveway. A very surreal and disturbing experience. Told the son I'd say a prayer for Mom and Dad, who he says were still traumatized from the experience. Dad found the driver in the car. Tried to help, but, as we know, it was too late. Everyone's prayers for the driver, his family and this family are appreciated.

Michael - Cleveland

good point. Remember, if you're driving Uber X you are earning around $0.54 per mile, maybe minimum wage if you are very lucky. That's not worth a dent in your door no less personal injury. If a pickup location doesn't feel right just skip it. If a passenger is making you feel uncomfortable get someplace safe and end the ride. I don't think anyone means to scare you, because most rides are just fine and a lot of them Can be a lot of fun. Just don't put yourself in a bad situation if you can avoid it.

Grand

Hi everyone!!

Hi and thanks for joining the forum.:smiles:

One problem, I believe, newbies face is not familiarising themselves with the help etc sections of the driver and pax apps.

As well as the good advice posted above , add in
1. Have doors always locked to allow you time to assess and confirm BEFORE letting strangers in your car.
2. Get a dashcam - check out the many existing Technology sub forum threads.

This newbie link maybe of assistance.
https://uberpeople.net/threads/beginners-advice.149152/

crookedhalo

Im always curious why people think one company is better then the other? Sure lyft had tips sooner, but there is no difference between the 2 companies policies, fees, pay or customer service. Hell, at least uber let's you do round trips, lyft just gives you the finger and the ride magically disappears

Well my exp lyft pays $5-$6hr more i like the passengers more the customer service is 100% better and there is photo identification uber are scam artist nickel n dime you to death ans uber customer service is just that "customer service " screw the driver cant speak on everyone else but lyft is hands down better

McNutt2K10

Well my exp lyft pays $5-$6hr more i like the passengers more the customer service is 100% better and there is photo identification uber are scam artist nickel n dime you to death ans uber customer service is just that "customer service " screw the driver cant speak on everyone else but lyft is hands down better
I can honestly say, I've tried both, and hands down I've made more driving for Uber than Lyft. In addition to that, I didn't have to drive to Timbuktu just to make a pickup with Uber, compared to Lyft.
As for customer service, neither one is great. And neither one will I ask anything that is to complicated, they both are a ball of f***!
And at this point I drive for Uber exclusively. And I would be willing to say on an average Friday night of driving, I would most likely do better than you with Lyft.
Now I'm not trying to be controversial, but I have tried both and am talking from experience. Just saying.

Michael - Cleveland

I can honestly say, I've tried both, and hands down I've made more driving for Uber than Lyft. In addition to that, I didn't have to drive to Timbuktu just to make a pickup with Uber, compared to Lyft.
As for customer service, neither one is great. And neither one will I ask anything that is to complicated, they both are a ball of f***!
And at this point I drive for Uber exclusively. And I would be willing to say on an average Friday night of driving, I would most likely do better than you with Lyft.
Now I'm not trying to be controversial, but I have tried both and am talking from experience. Just saying.
My experience is similar to yours, but Lyft has grown a lot in the last 2 years here. I know drivers who do Lyft exclusively and they do as well or better than Uber drivers just because their are fewer Lyft drivers. (for example, at any given moment in the airport waiting lot there will be 3x more Uber drivers online than Lyft drivers - so Lyft drivers tend to move through the lot faster than Uber drivers). Also, Lyft at the moment, is trying to capitalize on all of the bad press Uber has gotten by doing exactly what uber did two years ago to build ridership: they are aggressively discounting trips to riders by 50% with promotions - they exact same subsidizing of rides that Uber has taken so much flak for. As far as Fri/Sat nights and bara close - every Lyft driver I know makes as much on Lyft as they do on Uber.

Serious drivers generally run both apps if they approved on both platforms.
I mean, who really cares who is paying them? The name of the game is to get as many rides as possible.

McNutt2K10

My experience is similar to yours, but Lyft has grown a lot in the last 2 years here. I know drivers who do Lyft exclusively and they do as well or better than Uber drivers just because their are fewer Lyft drivers. (for example, at any given moment in the airport waiting lot there will be 3x more Uber drivers online than Lyft drivers - so Lyft drivers tend to move through the lot faster than Uber drivers). Also, Lyft at the moment, is trying to capitalize on all of the bad press Uber has gotten by doing exactly what uber did two years ago to build ridership: they are aggressively discounting trips to riders by 50% with promotions - they exact same subsidizing of rides that Uber has taken so much flak for. As far as Fri/Sat nights and bara close - every Lyft driver I know makes as much on Lyft as they do on Uber.

Serious drivers generally run both apps if they approved on both platforms.
I mean, who really cares who is paying them? The name of the game is to get as many rides as possible.
Agreed, pick up as many as you can. At this stage of the game I'll be sticking with Uber. Have kinda figured out where I can be and be profitable without to much of a hassle. Though, we all share the same hassle come Friday and Saturday nights in the CLE.

Thats great have a nice time driving for uber sir
Hey D, I just wanted to say if I came off disrespectful, I apologise. We're all in this together and everyone has a preference, and I'm not saying I'm right or your right. It's just our preferences.
Keep the shiny side up, and keep making that money. And if you have a question for me feel free to drop me a line.

czervik7

Airport today: Uber 7 cars, Lyft 21 cars

That's usually the case lately. Lyft rides tend to be shorter, the people are younger and less inclined to tip, the navigation sucks, and the app help is poor.

That said, Lyft is improving some things. Still they keep sending me ride requests that are 20-25 minutes away, which of course I decline. But that means my acceptance rate disqualifies me for any of their (kind of pathetic) guarantees.

But hey, they pay me $.06 a mile more than Uber and that's worth a candy bar.

partyvan

Airport today: Uber 7 cars, Lyft 21 cars

That's usually the case lately. Lyft rides tend to be shorter, the people are younger and less inclined to tip, the navigation sucks, and the app help is poor.

That said, Lyft is improving some things. Still they keep sending me ride requests that are 20-25 minutes away, which of course I decline. But that means my acceptance rate disqualifies me for any of their (kind of pathetic) guarantees.

But hey, they pay me $.06 a mile more than Uber and that's worth a candy bar.
The only lyft guarantees i go for anymore are the 30 rides for $375 ($300.after fees) I only do that one because i can knock out 4-6 rides an hour at OSU after work during the week and put almost no miles on my car. I can normally hit the 30 rides in 6-7 hours when i would be sitting in my hotel room anyways. $300 in 1 night and i am usually done before bar close so i avoid the worst riders. If uber surges above 2X as i am finishing up i will go online with them and do XL until i yawn.