1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

New App Navigation

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tirebiter, Mar 15, 2017.

1. tirebiter

tirebiter Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Article in the paper says Uber is rolling out their new in-app navigation system
    designed to be much better for Uber drivers than Google Maps or Waze.
    It sounds like a beta test rollout.

I wouldn't be surprised if the test drivers signed a confidentiality agreement.

So, anybody here got it yet?
    Spill the beans.

2. ChirstanRoth

ChirstanRoth New Member

Nope don't that yet.

3. Jfo

Jfo New Member

I have it - it works great so far!!!
    I don't like the map going dark at night but other than that its very similar to google maps navigation.
    You can turn voice off but leave volum up - and you can either always have north up or the direction that you drive is up - very easy to toggle between the two.

4. Rgar

Rgar Member

How do u know when u have the app?

5. swingset

swingset Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Is the Android version out yet? Google play still has V3.129.1 which is what I'm running, no in-app nav, and I'm not seeing any options to update.

Lbd2323 likes this.

6. Matty760

Matty760 Active Member

I think most drivers should already have the new map navigation... Ive had it in my area since just after new years. Nothing special, but it does look better and I love that it goes dark for nighttime driving, its a lot easier on the eyes. Think of it like the Waze app when its nighttime it darkens the image so that bright image isn't distracting for driving. I like it overall

7. swingset

swingset Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    So are you running Android or Apple? If Android, what version is your app?

8. Matty760

Matty760 Active Member

I run Apple IOS 10.2.1 on iPhone 6s app version 3.147.2

9. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Nope. Not in Connecticut at least. You seem to imply it is similar to Google Maps and Waze. Any significant differences?
    I'm most interested in comparative speed and completeness of map database.

10. Bean

Bean Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Tampa market here with Android, still not seeing this update. Looking forward to the night display.

11. dolllarchaser

dolllarchaser Well-Known Member

Android doesn't have 'in app' navigation. Android refers you to Google Maps or Waze.

12. Navy Vet

Navy Vet Member

I dont like it as good as Google Maps or Waze!

13. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Android does have 'in app' navigation, under the "old" system, but it does not compare to either Google Maps or Waze. Still, I find it useful at night to get close to a particular address without seeing the street numbers.
    I agree, but the "new" system appears to come much closer to the functionality of Google Maps and Waze. I would like a comparative evaluation from someone who has tried both.

14. Matty760

Matty760 Active Member

I can tell you from experience of using waze and the in app navigation that Waze is still slightly better. However the new in app comes very close. I like doing in app cuz it allows you to still see the passengers name and other info on the ride plus if another ride request comes through it's easy to see the type of ride and surge amount. Waze advantage is showing cops and traffic. However the in app does have a little bit of traffic info on the route and shows where there might be some delays but it's not perfect. Overall the 2 are so close that I'd choose in app right now over Waze so I don't have to keep switching back between apps to complete the trip etc. I have to do that now with Lyft since they don't have in app navigation so I have to use Waze for that.