• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

New apartment.. well, shit..

Invisible

There was a sewage leak INSIDE from upstairs to downstairs and reports of corroded water lines near the sewage spill.

They then reportedly dumped the sewage (human waste) outside of the apartment.

We've spoken with several departments, waiting to hear back.
If you do end up moving, check the online reviews first and maybe test the water. That place sounds like a shit hole.

VanGuy

If you do end up moving, check the online reviews first and maybe test the water. That place sounds like a shit hole.
Didn't you read, someone broke the shit hole which is why they're having problems. :smiles:

I don't blame you though. I skip pages too. :p

WNYuber

Holy moly u need to get out of there before the health department finds u laying dead in a pool of your own vomit, piss, blood, semen, and feces.
I could put u up for a few days here in NY but stay off my turf when Ubering. :wink:

VanGuy

Amazon has hazmat suits, or close enough for fairly cheap. Hose down your basement, and neighbours, with chlorine since someone mentioned that's cheap too.

Then tell your landlord you're so awesome for fixing the problem you need some free rent.

Diamondraider

And wash our dishes with it as well? Assuming you are trying to be funny.

We're talking about the strong possibility of feces in our water that we wash clothes, dishes, and ourselves in. And should be able to drink. All for around $1k a month.
Remember to clean your ice maker

Benjamin M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Remember to clean your ice maker
Ha! Don't have one! 😂 Pretty sure the dishwasher is at least 20 years old as well.

But otherwise that would be a great suggestion
Post automatically merged:

Health department is saying that they do not investigate things like this, had to explain over and over that giardia is a parasite caused by fecal matter, this is an INTERIOR issue, there is a strong possibility of feces mixing with drinking water, etc.

Pointed to the city utility works or whatever. They also didn't understand but finally a supervisor seemed to get it, said they don't do that.

Back to the health department, referred us back to the city works.

Almost shouted at this poor lady because we've been trying to get this sorted all day. Wife doesn't communicate well, made the first calls and glossed things over or rambled.

Ugh.

Update, wife on the phone with the CDC.

Last edited:

Diamondraider

Ha! Don't have one! 😂 Pretty sure the dishwasher is at least 20 years old as well.

But otherwise that would be a great suggestion

Health department is saying that they do not investigate things like this, had to explain over and over that giardia is a parasite caused by fecal matter, this is an INTERIOR issue, there is a strong possibility of feces mixing with drinking water, etc.

Pointed to the city utility works or whatever. They also didn't understand but finally a supervisor seemed to get it, said they don't do that.

Back to the health department, referred us back to the city works.

Almost shouted at this poor lady because we've been trying to get this sorted all day. Wife doesn't communicate well, made the first calls and glossed things over or rambled.

Ugh.
Ask for the Dept of Environmental Protection, DEP
water issues are handled by them. And they respond very quickly.

Diamondraider

Thanks. They referred us to a private lab. Unbelievable..
If the DEP believes the issue is structural, they will deflect. You must downplay the landlord’s culpability and present a cooperative, but urgent case that the “public’s health” is likely at risk. Let the DEP figure out it is a landlord issue on their own.
also, your local newspaper will jump at the chance to report this. If they do, other media will follow. The landlord and the DEP will be anxious to work with the cooperative tenant.
Remember your reason for preening the issue is family and public safety. Never bring up the lease. The landlord must be the one to offer a break in the lease. Just be firm and patient. With gentle nudging, you can let the dep and the landlord keep each other honest and you focus on family first.. it is in everyone’s interest for the problem to be resolved quickly and with little fanfare. That gives you leverage.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

When poop hits water pipes, parasite time!
Can you explain the science behind that one? The portable water lines are under pressure. Even if poop "hits" them (on the outside) poop doesn't get on the inside.

Does the apartment have a well or city water?

Either way you can get the county health dept to take a sample and have it tested.

Anybody else ever hear of giardia in city water OR well water? Giardia is a surface water parasite.

Benjamin M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can you explain the science behind that one? The portable water lines are under pressure. Even if poop "hits" them (on the outside) poop doesn't get on the inside.

Either way you can get the county health dept to take a sample and have it tested.

Anybody else ever hear of giardia in city water OR well water? Giardia is a surface water parasite.
Reports of a sewage leak inside the apartment, likely ours, with the possibility of corrosion.

The health department finally understood what we were trying to describe and will be sending someone. I've avoided the tap water since I started feeling symptoms, dog had a lot more in his water bowl and has been very sick.

He's an indoor dog, has not had access to any contaminated water source outside of the apartment nor has he injested anything.

Sounds like they will be testing our water soon. And yes, giardia can and has been located in drinking water.

KK2929

Moved to a new apartment last week, bigger than our last (which was a brand new upscale building) but built in the 70s - and it shows, big time. The rent is only slightly less but twice the space, townhouse style.

First day here, I thought I smelled sewage downstairs after showering. Brushed my teeth, started feeling sick soon after - stomach pains, fatigued, and just overall crappy. Has continued since.

Sorry for the over sharing..

Barely made it to the throne yesterday after shopping. I hadn't eaten but had brushed my teeth. Felt absolutely horrible all day. Then the dog got sick, horrible loose stool.

Wife took him to the vet today, he has giardia. And I'm showing symptoms. Common thread, tap water - wife hasn't brushed her teeth or drank any yet.

Hit up Google and read a review of the property, one resident recently complained that their downstairs had sewage overflow everywhere, worse when the shower or toilet drained. Apparently, maintenance dumped the sewage in the dog walk area, directly in front of our apartment.

They also reported seeing disgusting pipes during the cleanup process. When poop hits water pipes, parasite time!

Wife loves the place, I've been trying to get over how it's falling apart for the cost of rent, but we both agree that we can't get sick.

Expecting pushback from them when we talk with the manager tomorrow. And we may need to report to the health department. It's really a shame.

On the bright side, we haven't unpacked much.. 😂
-----------------------
Yikes -- what a mess !!! Drink bottled water until resolved. I would report them to HD now. Maybe take a water sample to a lab and have it tested. This move has been a nightmare for you and the wife. Not sure I would even want to take a shower in contaminated water.

----------------------
First, he said that it is an old building. A cracked or broken pipe would allow the parasite inside.
Yes, Giardia can and does live in well/underground water. It can be leeched in through contaminated water runoff or dirt.

Reports of a sewage leak inside the apartment, likely ours, with the possibility of corrosion.

The health department finally understood what we were trying to describe and will be sending someone. I've avoided the tap water since I started feeling symptoms, dog had a lot more in his water bowl and has been very sick.

He's an indoor dog, has not had access to any contaminated water source outside of the apartment nor has he injested anything.

Sounds like they will be testing our water soon. And yes, giardia can and has been located in drinking water.
------------------------
Poor Biscuit -- last thing he needs is an upset tummy.
Maybe it is time to hire an attorney and I would move. You have not even unpacked and you have major problems immediately not to mention that the place is cold with little insolation, which will result in higher heating bills.

Last edited: