• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

New and nothing

Ginny The Rogue

Hello. I'm new here and new to Uber too, just started driving today and got zero pings for all of my gas and nervousness. It was five hours of nothing. I find the Uber website to be useless when trying to get any information about wtf I'm actually doing out there so I hope I will learn something here. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or what some of the terms like "surge" mean or how to get my first rider, apparently. So, hello and please be gentle with my obvious lack of uber skillz...

NotanEmployee

make sure you hit the GO button. never drive around wasting gas unless you know it will take you to a busy area. is uber new in your area? do you live in a rural area? theres many reasons why you wouldnt get a ping...most related to either too many drivers in the area or just no riders. only you can figure out your area.

25rides7daysaweek

Hello. I'm new here and new to Uber too, just started driving today and got zero pings for all of my gas and nervousness. It was five hours of nothing. I find the Uber website to be useless when trying to get any information about wtf I'm actually doing out there so I hope I will learn something here. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or what some of the terms like "surge" mean or how to get my first rider, apparently. So, hello and please be gentle with my obvious lack of uber skillz...
if you been online for 5 hours and haven't gotten a call something is wrong. You need to goto a greenlight hub and/or call uber on the phone to ask them if they actually see you online... do some reading and get a thick skin.. welcome to u/p..

Ginny The Rogue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and warm welcome! I watched a few videos last night and can see a few things I did wrong. I *will* get the hang of this! I think finding an area I want to concentrate on and parking it instead of driving around like a taxi was my first lesson learned. :thumbup:

reg barclay

Welcome to the forum. First thing I suggest you do is download the rider app. Then, after you go online in the driver app, open the rider app and if you're online your car should show on that map. Also be sure you didn't sign up for just UberEats, I believe such an option exists at sign up.

I think it's also possible that nothing is wrong, IMHO it's conceivable to go so long without a ping, if you're in a sparsely populated area, where most people have cars, and there is no college or the like in the vicinity.

NotanEmployee

the rider app uses the same password. i find my car doesnt show up 1/2 the time. it only shows you 8 cars in your area. if you dont show up then you KNOW there are more drivers than 8 there waiting.

swathdiver

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and warm welcome! I watched a few videos last night and can see a few things I did wrong. I *will* get the hang of this! I think finding an area I want to concentrate on and parking it instead of driving around like a taxi was my first lesson learned. :thumbup:
Ginny, I have a fairly large area and traded fuel for knowledge. Drove around a bit to learn where not to go and where it was more profitable to go and the best times for each. Hang out in the burbs not far from the downtown restaurants and you'll get pings to take folks to dinner and then later to take them home, saving a lot of lives btw. In my AO that's an easy hundred dollars for 3-4 hours worth of driving (7pm-10pm).

Lmfao..

Drivincrazy

I believe all Uber x drivers who take base rate rides lose money. Gas money is about all you will get. If no surge in your area, start planning on other sources of income. Consider trucking school if you must make money...truck drivers are in high demand. Search Craigslist under transportation to see the ads for truckers.
I drive Las Vegas, 8,300+ U n L rides. Surge rides are getting harder to get by the month. I used to average 80+ trips a week, now about 20 cuz I refuse to lose money on base rate rides. Also, the incentives offered now, like quest and 3ctb's are not worth considering. They pay about 1/3 of what they used to. You will see, real soon, why 96% of new drivers quit real soon after signing up.
I don't mean to discourage new drivers, but I do want to forewarn you. Drivers are merely a number to Uber, although most posters agree there is a honeymoon period where a new driver is apt to get easier, more profitable rides. Most veteran drivers don't do pool rides.
Post automatically merged:

Asificarewhatyoudontthink

Taxis don't "drive around".
If you see a taxi empty and moving one of a few things is happening.
24hour car (paid more to have it all the time) running life errands.
More likely;
Staging (moving to an area more likely to be busy with shorter distances to the pickup) changes with time of day,
Exiting from a drop off and rolling to nearest shaded parking,
On the way to pickup,
Really really short passenger.

percy_ardmore

I just sit in Corner Bakery or Barnes & Noble, enjoy their free wifi, and usually don't have to wait too long for a rider or UE.