• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

New and lost...go figure

What are the best times to drive in Kendall from 830-130

• Select times

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Get out of Kendall

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Hang out by the mall

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
Hi fellow Miamians, I'm 100% new to Uber. Like I think I've even ridden in one probably once in my life. I'm essentially a young soccer mom/workaholic. Thing is, mama needs a break. It would really help my family out mainly my son, if I were able to leave my beloved job. I also make a nice living and would hate for that to totally disappear and become entirely dependent on my spouse. While they're luring me into thinking that it'd be fine, I'm of course having some reservations. Fact of the matter is, I need to be more available for my son. Period. Being a hustler at heart, Uber really appealed to me. If the money you make is based on you than bring it on. But I'm terribly lost.

Every damn post I read says something contradictory to the other. This is actually the first site that's made any cohesive sense. And it's local, perfect.

A couple questions:

1. It appears I'll only be qualified for UberX which really blows bc I have a 2015 black Acura RDX (4 seater and tan interior) and a white 2011 BMW 328i. I've heard of UberPlus and UberSelect, but it doesn't appear to be available in Miami. Sigh. So does this mean since I don't have a black 6 seater SUV that I'm out for UberSUV? And my car isn't lux enough for UberLux. And not black enough for UberBlack? Aye.

2. I hear all about prime time or surge time. Well I'm a mom and a wife. No matter how much of a competitive hustler I am, my spouse is NOT going to let my dainty as* out at 3 am to pick up drunk murderers. So does that mean my Uber dreams are crushed? Also, I take my son to school in the morning at 830 am in the Kendall area. Will I have missed the morning rush as well?

3. I don't understand accepting pick ups. So let me get this straight...you have no idea how much or where you're going when you agree to pick someone up? I can tell you right now if I pull up and it's some grimy teenager asking to go to the gas station or have the balls to buy weed on my dime, I'm going to flip my shi*.

Fine, the idea of a pointless 3 minute ride here and there wouldn't normally wouldn't bother me. But I don't have time. I have no time and I need to make some kind to decent money. I'm under the impression that my $400+ car payment means crap, so I won't make money off of my car. So my time. That's all I have left. I have to make the most of it. Where do I start? Especially when the 3am drunk girls are off limits?

Also, has anyone also tried Lyft? Any luck? I see no harm in being logged into both.

I also plan on offering free (cheap beverages) like bottles of cold water. I mean a pack of 24 is like $4. Imagine the tip potential. Or maybe printing out a list of my XM stations and at least informing them of their options. Music doesn't bother me at all.

At the end of the day, I'm just really trying to maximize the time I have on the road to make as much as possible, not afraid to work hard but working smart is what I'm looking for. Any advise I would cherish. Thanks

phuseche

Number 3 is as you say.

Rush hour goes until 9 am - 9.30. Better on Mondays. You get also surges during the afternoon rush hour. Sometimes at 2.30pm (yesterday), sometimes later.

You also have the early runs to the airport that start after 4am. Specially Mondays. You may consider these on weekdays before taking your son to school. People who just woke up tend to be quiet.

Don't bother with the water and other goodies. Few people tip.

Good luck.

Manotas

There isn't a golden goose or eggs with ride sharing specially in Miami because it's oversaturated, remember to be patient and drive smart; read through the posts here for tips, most postings will sound negative but there is a lot of good info here, it helped me a lot when I started driving last year.

Uber chick in miami

Please dont quit your job until you try it first. They make it seems like you would be able to spend more time with your family but its quite the opposite. At lot of drivers have to pull in 10-12 hours to take home 75-150 a day, if that. Thats not counting gas which can be 10-30 a day plus the tear and wear on your car. Theres so many drivers, it takes long time to get requests so you are either waiting around or driving around wasting gas looking for more requests. In my opinion, this is something temporary while people look for better source of income. Im sure you will try it and then be on here like the rest of us. I dont blame you as they make it so alluring. Those stupid commercials make you really think its so easy..hahaha... I think the posts where people seem positive about driving for Uber are either Uber employees (undercover) or people that have never had a good paying job and this seems like great money. As a woman driver, make sure you get mace, taser, etc for safety... Good luck mama...

Flacco

You need to really consider depreciation. Both of your vehicles are really to0 costly for UberX at 85 cents a mile. They do not qualify for UberLux.

Uberman on youtube brought up a good point a while back that $8,000 is about the most you can pay for a Uber Mobile at 2x the depreciation.

Uberman did go against his own advice and buy a new car but he does not drive much and only very late weekends that have a very high surge where he lives (unlike here)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
HOLY SH*T!!

First off, thank you to each and every single one of you. This was beyyyyond what I was expecting in terms of raw fantastic and basically real life answers. I honestly didn't even think anyone was even going to respond. To thank you for so many of you actually taking the time to stop me from the apparent misery that awaits me.

So I was/hope to quit my job regardless. I don't want to go back period. My hustler cousin just happened to mention this just so I could have some side cash. The idea of having to ask for money alone is gut renching. Then, having to argue why I need my 3rd pumpkin latte of the week is not how I plan on spending my 30's. All the real bills will be paid. I just want cash for things like my cell phone bill, unnessecary star bucks runs and all the secret frivolous independence I so cherish.

At the end of the day I really don't want to go back. Uber or no uber. So just the idea of making maybe like $300 a week would be way more than enough. It could cover groceries (bc I coupon), I could randomly take my son for ice cream should I wish to and stuff like that. But I do appreciate the raw honesty. I think any extra cash would make me feel better.

So with that being said. If I can work from 830am-1:00pm Mon-Friday (and I leave Kendall bc apparently we're all up to the same thing) what do you think realistically on a worse case scenario I could expect?

Also, yes I agree with the wear and tear on my poor Acura. So not worth it. But my BMW is quite possibly the worst thing that's ever happened to me. Beyond lemon. Getting rid of it when I get my taxes check. I could careless. As a matter of fact, I think I want my pay back and vise it slightly bit haha.

What if I hung out around dolphin mall? Or hmmm...anyone know of any good spots I won't risk my life over?

And yes I will absolutely be carrying some kind of protection. I'm also feisty, and a beast. An attacked would be in for quite the surprise. I have no qualms with throwing it down. Certainly one of the first things you have to prepare for. But I'm getting the hint her. Forget the water, pack the tazors.

PS, you guys are awesome. So glad I found this.

phuseche

After 10.30am it will be boringly slow; more so Tuesdays and Wednesdays. But if you just want "some" extra cash ... it may work. 20 - 25 hours/week? Yes, you could be making in the $200 - 300 range.

Usually after the first ride, one doesn't get to choose much as it would depend where that last ride took you. For example, say you are taken to Aventura, you have to choose between driving back empty on the highway, or slowly start to get back through the streets hoping to get another ride, which you do not know where it will take you. Where to start then, coming from Kendall? Wouldn't Dadeland mall and US-1 up to U of Miami be closer? Around U of Miami you will always get rides, though most will likely be short distances.

Manotas

I drive part-time, maybe even less than part-time 15-20 hrs a week at most and I still pull in $200-$250 that's before gas, expresso double shot runs at Starbucks, etc... just keep in mind to always keep extra $$$ handy for the rainy day Uber-expenses like flat tires (happened to me once) or red-light camera tickets (twice), and taxes.

Good luck out there

BTW Dadeland and Dolphin malls not a bad idea, specially if you're going to sit for a while and wait for a ping, U.M. not unless you don't mind entitled college students taking you on beer runs, short trips, and UberPool rides

YorkieLover

Pax have told me there is always rides at dolphin mall and FIU,if you are there in the morning get a free Ikea card and you can get free unlimited coffee from them, I remember one time I was 12 minutes away from dolphin mall and had uber request to pickup someone, really late at night,I was tired but luckily for me she was going home to north miami beach,After I dropped her off I went home, she worked in service industry, drank my water, ate my candies and still no tip.:frown:

YorkieLover

HOLY SH*T!!
At the end of the day I really don't want to go back. Uber or no uber. So just the idea of making maybe like $300 a week would be way more than enough. It could cover groceries (bc I coupon)......
If you quit your Job and drive for Uber you will qualify for food stamps and still coupon, no need to spend you hard earned uber money on groceries, you will easily make $300 a week if you drive on the weekends too.

OdyUber

IF this is strictly part time, the 2 uses of the destination filter are probably enough to get you back.

I had a really slow morning today, and some crappy rides out of the airport, eventually made it downtown. Then, out of a sudden, got sent from Brickell key to Dolphin Mall and back out to Lincoln road, and then to MIA all in less than an hour.

It takes luck, and patience.

After 10.30am it will be boringly slow; more so Tuesdays and Wednesdays. But if you just want "some" extra cash ... it may work. 20 - 25 hours/week? Yes, you could be making in the $200 - 300 range.

Usually after the first ride, one doesn't get to choose much as it would depend where that last ride took you. For example, say you are taken to Aventura, you have to choose between driving back empty on the highway, or slowly start to get back through the streets hoping to get another ride, which you do not know where it will take you. Where to start then, coming from Kendall? Wouldn't Dadeland mall and US-1 up to U of Miami be closer? Around U of Miami you will always get rides, though most will likely be short distances.

Hi thanks for your reply. Actually I'm specifically only looking for long distances. I have no desire to do anyone a favor for $3.50. Or worse, do the whole local college a favor and basically run errands with them all day. That's what I'm afraid of. The fact that you don't know. But I'm resilient and I'm sure I'll pick up on trends and good spots. I'm purposely trying to avoid the small trips. I'd rather do 2/30 min rides a day then 7 small ones.

Very happy you think I could potentially make at least $200-$300. I've been keeping a close eye on the theme of ungrateful passengers that don't tip. I'm realizing slowly this truly is based on luck and I have to accept the fact that I'm going to get morons every once in a while.

The only thing here that appealed to me was the control factor. I've been in sales my entire life and stayed for a reason. You're always in control of your money. Now I'm seeing it's a nightmare and most people hate it.

Not worth my time even if I am just doing it for sh*ts and giggles. I'm going to have to expand on it. I have to be able to recoup my costs when I get stuck with a $5 ride. So I thought maybe I'd sell some jewelry I can grab at whole sale prices. I'll call it "Shop While You Drive!" and rip off the teenagers that take advantage of the system.

I don't want merchandise flying all over my car. All they'll do is end up stealing it back there when I can't see. I'm going to see which pieces I can get the best deal on, buy them in bulk and see what happens. I'll take a couple pictures, state their inflated retail price and my discount next to it, essentially creating a mobile catalog. That way they can have access to all my pieces without stealing them. I'll throw in some umbrellas I over price for when they get stuck in the rain and some cheap flip flops for when they underestimate their heels. Pack it up in a well organized brief case and make the most of the $5 rides.

The key here is for me to invest as little as possible so that any kind of return will be as profitable as possible. I'm going to pick up one of those credit card sliders and see how it goes.

If any of these posts have taught me anything its that this is not in fact in your control and proves to be a waste of time more often than not. But if you look at it as free marketing, than maybe it isn't?

I'm going to spend this new free time I've found myself with in specific expensive dining areas in the gables and troll for rich executives. They're cheap enough to pay for UberX and won't expect a business women in a BMW to pick them up. The college students in their echo's can't compete with that.

I'll take my time exploring the market for good areas and build a brand. My graphic designer already created business cards and a nice branded sales infograph I'll place on the back of the head rests. Perhaps I'll pick up a couple high end people along the way and eventually stop needing Uber. Instead make money on the clientele I trolled who casually visit and desire my services in the future.

Or maybe it fails. I'll invest the least I can and hope for the best. But I can tell you this...some people are greedy. If everyone's already warning me of the gutter rats they pick up from malls and colleges, then I'm going to bank on them. Millennials spend. Not on tipping, but on themselves. They're $5 trip will turn into a $20 trip if I'm lucky. And who knows, maybe it'll rain and I'll make a killing. Track the weather, head downtown where I know people don't have cars. I won't be looking to make my money off rides that day, instead umbrellas.

TravisNJ

You think you'll last more than a week trying to hawk shit in your backseat? People don't even like when there are signs in the backseat, nevertheless when you are trying to sell them garbage.

Oh, you don't want to do $5 rides when you net $2.48? NONE OF US DO. It's the reality of this crappy, low paying, asset losing 'job'.

Oh, you think you'll catch private clients? Why would they when a car is 2 minutes away at any time and they don't have to call you to see where you are.
We're trying to help you, you seem to be stuck in your 'hustle' mode and determined to do this crap. Enjoy destroying your BMW and Acura for $0.64 a mile (on X) or $0.56 a mile (on POOL). Have fun trading in the BMW when people destroy your car and you rack up a bunch of miles.

I'm going to spend this new free time I've found myself with in specific expensive dining areas in the gables and troll for rich executives. They're cheap enough to pay for UberX and won't expect a business women in a BMW to pick them up. The college students in their echo's can't compete with that.
I don't think anyone will care.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChevyVolt

Hi thanks for your reply. Actually I'm specifically only looking for long distances. I have no desire to do anyone a favor for $3.50. Or worse, do the whole local college a favor and basically run errands with them all day. That's what I'm afraid of. The fact that you don't know. But I'm resilient and I'm sure I'll pick up on trends and good spots. I'm purposely trying to avoid the small trips. I'd rather do 2/30 min rides a day then 7 small ones.

Very happy you think I could potentially make at least $200-$300. I've been keeping a close eye on the theme of ungrateful passengers that don't tip. I'm realizing slowly this truly is based on luck and I have to accept the fact that I'm going to get morons every once in a while.

The only thing here that appealed to me was the control factor. I've been in sales my entire life and stayed for a reason. You're always in control of your money. Now I'm seeing it's a nightmare and most people hate it.

Not worth my time even if I am just doing it for sh*ts and giggles. I'm going to have to expand on it. I have to be able to recoup my costs when I get stuck with a $5 ride. So I thought maybe I'd sell some jewelry I can grab at whole sale prices. I'll call it "Shop While You Drive!" and rip off the teenagers that take advantage of the system.

I don't want merchandise flying all over my car. All they'll do is end up stealing it back there when I can't see. I'm going to see which pieces I can get the best deal on, buy them in bulk and see what happens. I'll take a couple pictures, state their inflated retail price and my discount next to it, essentially creating a mobile catalog. That way they can have access to all my pieces without stealing them. I'll throw in some umbrellas I over price for when they get stuck in the rain and some cheap flip flops for when they underestimate their heels. Pack it up in a well organized brief case and make the most of the $5 rides.

The key here is for me to invest as little as possible so that any kind of return will be as profitable as possible. I'm going to pick up one of those credit card sliders and see how it goes.

If any of these posts have taught me anything its that this is not in fact in your control and proves to be a waste of time more often than not. But if you look at it as free marketing, than maybe it isn't?

I'll take my time exploring the market for good areas and build a brand. My graphic designer already created business cards and a nice branded sales infograph I'll place on the back of the head rests. Perhaps I'll pick up a couple high end people along the way and eventually stop needing Uber. Instead make money on the clientele I trolled who casually visit and desire my services in the future.

Or maybe it fails. I'll invest the least I can and hope for the best. But I can tell you this...some people are greedy. If everyone's already warning me of the gutter rats they pick up from malls and colleges, then I'm going to bank on them. Millennials spend. Not on tipping, but on themselves. They're $5 trip will turn into a $20 trip if I'm lucky. And who knows, maybe it'll rain and I'll make a killing. Track the weather, head downtown where I know people don't have cars. I won't be looking to make my money off rides that day, instead umbrellas.
Oh boy. I would love to see how this works out for ya! Such enthusiasm...yikes!

Yeah, I've got your number pal. I'm not going to get into some 3 day long social media fight with you. Take your negativity somewhere else.

While you may be absolutely right, there's also a much higher probability that if something even remotely similar to what I've considered could in fact be possible, it wouldn't be from someone like you. Thus making some 10 page response useless. While I'm impressed you could actually spell right in the middle of your tantrum, you and I are entirely different animals. The difference between you and I is that I've already been very successful with what's called a real job. I'm not worried about hustling some rich UM girl. You wanna know why? Because I am her. They're not offended by me, they're engaged by me. That's why I make the big bucks and can afford to ruin my lemon of a BMW and you're up at night trolling my sweet innocent dreams.

Move on, there's nothing to see here.