• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

New “service fee”...time to switch to Lyft.

Gasguzzler12

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope it was a glitch. I sent in a message to Uber. Their service fee section doesn’t give a percentage anymore and just shows that it’s “variable”. Hopefully they’ll fix it because if this is a new trend then it’s a real shame..

Rakos

Get used to it....

You know when your wife...

Gets that big bill out of your wallet...

You know...

the one you forgot to break...8>)

Sometimes the Uber gods taketh....

Sometimes the Uber gods giveth....8>)

Problem is....never know which it is....

Until it's too late....8>)

To do anything about it...

Rakos
282sje.jpg

SurgeMasterMN

Always take the longest way and do the speed limit. Let rider know about upfront pricing so they understand the tug of war we are having with Uber. People will understand and say yeah do what is best...

Julescase

Always take the longest way and do the speed limit. Let rider know about upfront pricing so they understand the tug of war we are having with Uber. People will understand and say yeah do what is best...

I actually disagree with you about trying to get passengers' sympathy; the majority of pax don't give a shit about how little drivers actually make, how crappy pay is, etc....heck, they can barely comprehend the fact that drivers don't make money unless the car is in motion.

Based on comments by passengers, many of them think Uber has become an expensive mode of transport and they truly don't care about how poorly Uber treats its driver "partners" (lol, "partners" what a joke).

Talking about money, fares, and how big bad Uber divides rider payments will at best make a pax uncomfortable, at worst it will make them resent you and will likely lead to a low rating and no chance of a tip. I realize they may act sympathetic and act like they give a hoot - but trust -- all you'll be doing is making them feel shitty.

They really really don't care about drivers or what drivers earn.

SurgeMasterMN

I actually disagree with you about trying to get passengers' sympathy; the majority of pax don't give a shit about how little drivers actually make, how crappy pay is, etc....heck, they can barely comprehend the fact that drivers don't make money unless the car is in motion.

Based on comments by passengers, many of them think Uber has become an expensive mode of transport and they truly don't care about how poorly Uber treats its driver "partners" (lol, "partners" what a joke).

Talking about money, fares, and how big bad Uber divides rider payments will at best make a pax uncomfortable, at worst it will make them resent you and will likely lead to a low rating and no chance of a tip. I realize they may act sympathetic and act like they give a hoot - but trust -- all you'll be doing is making them feel shitty.

They really really don't care about drivers or what drivers earn.
It is all in your presentation. 2 1/4 years doing this with a 4.98 so not too worried about the rating. Most people I explain it to never understood it so a lot of times they are enlightened. Have made 20% tips this past week as well.

This advice is for the people that keep getting raked over the coals with 50-60% taken off the total ride. This is my only suggestion to counter that. It is the only way to not get hosed. Either way the rider is paying the same amount they agreed too so u are just ensuring your fair share.

If u have another suggestion to not get hosed we are all ears.

excel2345

Jesus Christ!!!!! I'm getting angry looking at that....... even though I'm not involved in the certain rides, I'm still outside the market involved with this robbery being a driver for Uber.
If your passenger mentions a high fare teill them to change the destination after the ride starts. Put in the building next door or something. This should change the charge from upfront to time and mileage according to the city rate chart.

240BIGWINO

Actually you only got $21 and reimbursement for the passenger’s toll. This wide of a gap could be due to a too efficient route on your part. Was there another way to take them that was significantly more miles? Maybe avoided the toll?

dirtylee

Ahhahaha, you guys should see the shit they pull in the dallas nice suburbs. $80/ 20 mile ride all day everyday.

Airport pax are taking taxis again. Especially on Thursday night.

Gasguzzler12

Well just to update after another day of driving. It’s happened on every single trip from the airport. Passengers paying a higher fare and Uber’s service fee is the largest percentage. Tolls or no tolls it’s still Uber’s service fee that is getting over 50% of the fare cost. I’ve sent support messages but surprise surprise still no response.

Gasguzzler12

Actually you only got $21 and reimbursement for the passenger’s toll. This wide of a gap could be due to a too efficient route on your part. Was there another way to take them that was significantly more miles? Maybe avoided the toll?
Not unless I had deviated way out of the way to the point of it being obvious that I was trying to “milk” the miles. It was a straight shot up the tollway to the destination.

Ahhahaha, you guys should see the shit they pull in the dallas nice suburbs. $80/ 20 mile ride all day everyday.

Airport pax are taking taxis again. Especially on Thursday night.
Exactly. Apparently they are pulling this stunt at Love and DFW too. They know folks will pay it, so they charge more and pay us the same....total BS on Uber.

jazzapt

This has been discussed to death. As much as it sucks, you got paid what you were supposed to get paid, time and miles. The rider agreed to voluntarily hand $40.50 over to Uber when they agreed to the upfront charge of $67.95. If they did their research, they’d know that upfront price was way over what the ride would have been with market rates and they could get that ride for a lot cheaper.

As much as we would like, we will never get our hands on that extra money Uber is taking from pax. So the only way to fight is to cut into how much Uber is gets. This is why you long haul. But I have also started trying to educate pax that they are paying too much and educated them on the workaround to beat it. I’ve done this a few times on my early morning airport runs (so far only when people complain about the cost).

I had a repeat pax the other day that now does this all the time and her airport trips are now about $10-$15 cheaper on average. I might not get paid more, but Uber’s take is 20%-25% + fees, like it should be.