• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Never thought this would happen to me

Brian-drives

I have been a driver 4 years 8000 rides and 4.94 for ratting . I drive Xl. LUX, Lux SUV . Never done a pool ride , maybe once a month X just to get home. I cannot figure out how you X guys making money .
This time of year I do make close to $1,000 every week and that’s after expenses. No one believes that but it’s true. If your around long enough you learn where the hot spots are. Most drivers quit before they learn.

Long story short I was arrested 5 years ago, serious felony charges, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. For you legal guys the Acton Taken was Decline Case. Basically means they declined to prosecute and had no evidence.

UBER has run my background three or four times already now this comes up. I’m out until some millennial figures out how to interpret the background check . Yes I visited the Green light hub and they were no help .

My advise is,
1. Never buy a car you cannot afford without UBER
2. Any day could be your last day, make the most of every ride.
3. Plan,plan,plan for a rainy day. My car is paid until Aug 2019 and my house until May 2019.
4 . Have a back up - I have LYFT

Hope to back on the road soon, but I have a feeling this is going to take a while.

Best of luck to everyone! And be safe !

JimKE

I have been a driver 4 years 8000 rides and 4.94 for ratting . I drive Xl. LUX, Lux SUV . Never done a pool ride , maybe once a month X just to get home. I cannot figure out how you X guys making money .
This time of year I do make close to $1,000 every week and that’s after expenses. No one believes that but it’s true. If your around long enough you learn where the hot spots are. Most drivers quit before they learn.

Long story short I was arrested 5 years ago, serious felony charges, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. For you legal guys the Acton Taken was Decline Case. Basically means they declined to prosecute and had no evidence.

UBER has run my background three or four times already now this comes up. I’m out until some millennial figures out how to interpret the background check . Yes I visited the Green light hub and they were no help .

My advise is,
3. Plan,plan,plan for a rainy day. My car is paid until Aug 2019 and my house until May 2019.

Hope to back on the road soon, but I have a feeling this is going to take a while.

A couple of suggestions.

First, under Florida law, arrest records and court records are public record and you can get copies. The police reports in the case are also public record unless the case is still under investigation.

(1)
Get official copies of everything related to that case. Generally, the Sheriff's office is the custodian for all criminal court records, but the department of the arresting officer would have the relevant police reports.

Just so you understand the process, in a felony arrest, the arresting officer fills out an arrest affidavit which goes to the State Attorney's Office. The affidavit and police reports are reviewed by the Intake unit of the State Attorney's Office and they make a decision whether to actually file a criminal case with the courts.

If they feel comfortable prosecuting, they file an "Information" with the courts enumerating the specific statutes violated. If not, they may refer the defendant to some kind of diversion program, or simply dump the case by declining to prosecute. With multiple-defendant cases, they may prosecute some defendants and nolle pros others.

A referral or declining of prosecution should not normally be held against you -- although it can depend on the charge. I'm sure you can understand that if an officer had sufficient probable cause to make an arrest, there are certain kinds of cases that an employer (or contractor) would be sensitive about.

Once you see what is actually in your record, (2) take the records to Uber and demand that they be evaluated. All Uber has at this point is a computer entry that says on a certain date you were arrested for a certain crime -- and that's from the police records, not court records, if the case was nolle prossed.

If contacting Uber fails, (3) contact "Help Me Howard!"

No, seriously, contact him at WSVN, Channel 7. Howard Finkelstein is THE Broward County Public Defender...not a flunkie rookie attorney. He is THE Public Defender.

If he reviews your case and agrees that you've been treated unfairly, his opinion will have an impact on Uber.

I guarantee you Uber does not want to be featured on Howard's show on TV!

Hakan

My advise is,

I am sorry to hear that .! If you have only one case try to use case expungement you can seal the case but takes long time . I am doing one of case . You have only 1 case option !

Same thing happened to me . When I signed up first I had two dismissed case on my record . Uber accepted me Lyft never . Since I signed up nothing changed . Last year they run my background check and kept me waiting two weeks. They did the same thing this year . I fed up and asked them to close my account yesterday . They came up bunch of threats like it is permanent I was never be able to drive again with them . Once I receive the confirmation email they were hoping me to drive again . Very confusing . When founder Travis Kalanick was CEO he stated everybody deserve a second chance , so they hired people even with conviction . But when Dara Khosrowshahi (Iranian/American )new CEO took over , he decided to make Uber better place . I think he is loosing a lot of drivers as well as riders .

When I signed up 4 years ago I was one of the a few drivers in Miami . I was making good money so I left my day job signed brand new lease . But when uber banned from Fort Lauderdale and season was over I was not making money at all . So I found regular job was still going online this and that sometimes . Truth is uber was a good back up in case job lost or need extra money . But other hand I was not focusing my job because I was trusting uber. SO I was keep changing jobs . Finally it is over time to focus on my job . Post mates for a few extra bucks .

But things could not be this way . There should be union for drivers other wise they will keep using drivers and every time one self driving car read they will get rid of drivers . UPS has their union some drivers getting paid up to $45 an hour . UPS is always afraid of strike so they threat employees fairly. Because all employees went strike once and the lost millions . German Airline Lufthansa pilots went to strike a few times las year they got what they want .

So there should be union or movement other wise people will still getting rip of like the new surge system. They charge whatever they want from customer and will pay you a few extra bucks .

Good luck !

Rex8976

Hakan

But when uber banned from Fort Lauderdale...
They were not banned, kicked out, run out of town, shut down, etc.

Uber left on it's own. Lyft followed. Hissy fit over new regulations.

And now, back to our scheduled programming!