Uber Drivers Forum banner

Never getting sticky surge

2K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  2smart2drive 
#1 ·
I keep picking up a supposed sticky surge but I can't get another ping while it's active to save my life.

I've tested this several times; the only time I'll get a new ride is if I go offline and basically forfeit the surge. What a bunch of bullshit.

Anyone else having this problem?

World Font Map Urban design Space

See less See more
#2 ·
If you get the sticky surge, you're going to the end of the line for pings. The algorithm will ensure that all drivers have the same hourly average. So if you have a $10 sticky surge, you might wait 20-30 minutes for a ping to ensure that your hourly income doesn't exceed $18, $20, $22 or whatever the prevailing average rate may be.

#3 ·
We’ve all gone home some nights with nice surges stuck on our phones. It kills me to go offline for the 6 hour mandatory with money still in the kitty.

Reactions: UbaBrah
#4 ·
I keep picking up a supposed sticky surge but I can't get another ping while it's active to save my life.

I've tested this several times; the only time I'll get a new ride is if I go offline and basically forfeit the surge. What a bunch of bullshit.

View attachment 375231
Thats the way it is designed.....get you to drive to a spot so you can get the sticky surge and then, once you have the amount, you are likely to not accept a Lyft ride AND if you chased the surge you are likely not at home but driving around somewhere so they are hoping you will just wait. This way they have you set in a place in case a ride request comes in. This way they can spread drivers all around the city and then not give you a ride until it is convenient for them. This may mean you have to wait an hour or two and then if there are none in the area they will throw you a request 30 minutes away from the busy area you are in knowing you won't accept it which means you then lose the sticky surge. You have to think of their actions in terms of the most unethical, immoral, and lawless behaviors you can imagine....that is the culture of Uber and its partner Lyft.

If you get the sticky surge, you're going to the end of the line for pings. The algorithm will ensure that all drivers have the same hourly average. So if you have a $10 sticky surge, you might wait 20-30 minutes for a ping to ensure that your hourly income doesn't exceed $18, $20, $22 or whatever the prevailing average rate may be.
THis is why it is smart to just keep the app on all day and rack up the hours while declining the requests you may get every hour or so. Then the algorithm will see you have been online for 40 hours and only made 100 dollars over 30 trips so they will throw you some extra trips. Never look desperate to the algorithm because it will program your requests with that in mind. AI is scary and Uber/Lyft are really getting good at it so know that every action you take with the app is recorded and used for future requests.

#6 ·
The algorithm will de-prioritize you and you'll likely have to lose that surge unless it is busy. I mean it makes perfect sense. Why pay out a surge needlessly when there are many other available ants with no surge and it's slow? Uber needs all the money it can get these days!

The other week I waited for almost 40 minutes well past 3am to cash in a $13 surge. I even went to the popular after party Waffle House so you know I was desperate. I ultimately had to just say screw it and go home to bed. Played the game and went bust.

#7 ·
I only hold onto sticky surge if I know I m heading home and will keep the app open with a destination filter to the airport. Sometimes it can take hours to trigger but it will once all drivers have vanished around you. I had a $12.00 sticky surge and it took close to 4 hours to get the ping but it ended up being a nice run. Close to $75.00 with tip included.

Other times if you are driving around with sticky surge attached and surge has disappeared from the map then you might be waiting a while. In this scenario I have logged off in hopes of leap frogging a driver that has a sticky surge. Does this do any good? I don't know.... But one thing is for certain is Sticky Surge is sometimes the Kiss of Death to a Driver.

#9 ·

View attachment 375231
Its actually not a problem but rather programmed that way. It does several things. First, it creates in the drivers mind the idea that they need to keep the sticky surge so they better not take a ride from the competitor. The second is that it allows them to "set up" drivers like on a chess board in case there are rides needed. The sticky surges are individualized to each driver.....the map you see and the sticky surges you see are not necessarily the same as any other drivers in your area. Larger the sticky surge the longer you will wait as they will be looking for an unprofitable ride for the driver so they can make money. Many times they will send me a request 30 minutes away knowing I won't take it and losing the surge in the process. Or they will try and send me into the ghetto which the algorithm knows I won't take. Or they will send a request for a rider who has below a 4.9 rating knowing I won't accept it thus losing the sticky surge. IN the end, the surge is meant to get people out on the roads and just sit around until Uber/Lyft see a profitable means to use you. Manipulation and exploitation at its finest and there is nothing, nothing you can do but call Uber Manila Call Center which only makes it worse in terms of stress.

#10 ·
It happened to me once. It is an oversupply problem – despite the “demand” that caused the surge earlier, there aren’t enough people asking for rides near you so you and a couple of other drivers (maybe with a surge guarantee, maybe not) aren’t getting whatever few rides are available. It’s not like a passenger is nearby getting the message “no cars available”. People are getting rides, just not you and probably a couple of other drivers.

#11 ·
I get surges in Vegas 98% of the time. I do drive odd hours and some event letouts. If I get a nice sticky...if I don't get a ride soon...I split. I try to go where other drivers may not be, or, where demand is strong. Sometimes I must wait awhile cuz Uber de-prioritizes me and looks for profitable rides for themselves by giving them to Uber (not) Pro newbies.

#16 ·
Interesting......I have got those, no ping, I have headed towards home and PING.... Ride request comes in, I have got mine just fine. The 1's that get me is, you heading to the 3 consecutive rides for $11 for example(early this morn) I got into the area. POOF the 3 rides for $11 went bye bye. :( Oh well I made $72 and some change this morning. Going out later today!!

#20 ·

View attachment 375231
You have to switch hands to make a sticky surge stick 😝

#26 ·
Yes, I had that happen today.

I got a $9.50 sticky surge at 2:31 PM. I drove around for over 2 hours, drove thru 3 different "You're in a busy area Expect trips soon" zones. I even witnessed another UBER driver picking up a passenger 1 block from where I was waiting.

After 2.5 hours with no rides, I went offline then back online. Lost my surge, and got my next ride about 3 minutes after going back online. I hate UBER.

#27 ·
Im sorry but I disagree with its programmed that way mentality... If you get a large sticky surge... And are not getting a ride request.... Look at the rider app most likely your sitting in the middle of 🐜 central and there are 8+ cars within 2 blocks...

Its time to take your sticky surge and reposition to a known busy area where the ants are not..

Gotta be a little bit smarter folks.... cant assume, look and learn. Almost always happens this way in downtown here... So I get my $10-15 surge and head for midtown and 90% of the time I get a ride while im on the way...

But sitting still under a surge area that just cleared... There are probably 20 ants there for 5 rides.... Get moving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.