1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Never been matched even once in Destination Filter. What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Seattle' started by Marco Solo, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Marco Solo

Marco Solo

DF has never worked for me. I've never gotten a single ride from it, despite using it in the mornings on the way to my hunting grounds, and in the evenings on my way home. When traveling south on the highways at the end of my day, I set the DF for JBLM or Olympia (far beyond my home). When traveling north on the highways in the AMs to begin my day, I set it for Everett. I've experimented with using and not using arrival times, but neither setting seems to make a difference.

When I worked Seattle bar closings on weekends, I'd always set the DF for the drive home, and never got any pings. I've had DF on from Everett to Northgate via I-5, or from Lynnwood to Renton while on I-405, and haven't had any luck. As far as I can tell, I've never even been timed out while in DF mode.

So, what's the secret?

2. DexNex

DexNex

Uber or Lyft there big guy?

3. You are probably tapping the button wrong.

4. Marco Solo

Marco Solo

Uber DF.

5. Risab1981

Risab1981

How far are you setting it for? Here are you setting it for?

6. Marco Solo

Marco Solo

Well, if I'm in Everett and I want to get to, say, Kent, I'll set it for JBLM or Olympia--far beyond my destination.
    In the mornings, when I drive north from Kent to, say, Bothell to begin my day, I'll set it for Everett.

Never had a nibble at any time of day or night...

7. DexNex

DexNex

what tier? Are you open to X?

8. Risab1981

Risab1981

Quite the wide Net. How long have you been setting them? Its hit and miss with DFs. But most of the time you get one...just something dumb like Kent to Renton or something.

9. It takes quite a bit of trial and error to use the filters strategically.

DexNex likes this.
  10. Yooper

Yooper

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't think it works that often on the freeways?

11. I’ve only gotten DF hits about 4 times in over year.. 2 of those times I was on the freeway.

12. awtprod

awtprod

Driving:
    UberX
    FWIW, I've never had any success going N/S but I've done pretty well going W/E. Maybe it's because going W/E bisects the population centers versus paralleling them.

Risab1981 likes this.
  13. Consider sitting still along the 99 corridor or in a neighborhood for those North-Sound destination pings. You'll hop from place to place but it will get you to your general destination over time. A unicorn for a DF could be one that goes the whole distance.

The app needs to calculate where you are and ALSO what amount of time and routing it would take to get you off the highway and to the pickup point. Using a DF on this might limit the algorithm immensely.

Let's imagine you're coming from North Everett on I-5 and the DF is for Seattle or Olympia or basically south. You'd need to be primed to be able to pick up people easily along the highway exits, so some guy sitting on the Puget Sound waterfront or downtown is too far away from the highway to maybe catch your DF stream (and you wouldn't want that ride anyway because it means bushwhacking through a downtown to get there, say like on Hewitt Ave.)

edit: IMPORTANT: Do you also use a time calculator for the DF, such as that you need to get to X location by X time?

True - Seattle to Bellevue and vice-versa on the bridges. But it could be a One-shot Charlie because once you're in Bellevue you'd need to quick change that destination filter back west to Seattle and not let it get taken away from you.

SIDE NOTE: Lyft gives you six Destination Filters, but they are rigid. If you edit the destination to give yourself a new strategic placement, it uses up a DF.

14. Yooper

Yooper

Driving:
    UberX
    Have you tried DFing in a hotspot?

15. Also Marco Solo, know that the Lynnwood corridor is like a dead zone along 99 it seems.

Martin Kodiak likes this.
  16. better to sit in a area while destination filter is set.
    Setting the df while traveling really doesn't work well.

17. SKuber

SKuber

Driving:
    UberX
    I have had limited(very limited) success with Uber df's... the couple I have had on Lyft have been short trips in the wrong direction.

18. Ribak

Ribak

try experimenting in downtown Seattle on a regular working weekday during the evening commute (5-6pm). Stay parked near South Lake Union and set your DF for either Cap Hill, Ballard or West Seattle. Either that or head down to Safeco Field as a mariners game is ending and set your DF to basically any point north, east or south. If you do not get a request within 5-10 minutes in either scenario, then there is either a system or user error. Check with the Greenlight Hub

19. I find it very difficult to get pax headed southbound in the late evening. It's much easier to get a southbound trip to at least the airport during the day. It's much harder at night. It's all about timing. When you are heading north don't set it for so far north, try setting it to Northgate Mall or the North Seattle Community College. Or try someplace a little east or west of that area.

20. mark_mark

mark_mark

the Filter Game is a trade secret, all I can tell you is to experiment. Once you get the right recipe, keep it tight. I rely on DF filters as a X army ant