Nervous new driver

TheHammer

The way to overcome fear is to just go do it....You're going to make mistakes....No big deal...Learn from them...The important part is starting....Turn on your phone, wait for your first ping, accept it and take your first customer...It will get easier the more times you do it...You'll just have to trust me on this one...Good Luck

Texas4life577

Just take a couple shots of jack Daniels and you be fine!. Just think of your pax as one cheap skate and you are the one that owns the car not them! You will make mistakes because of GPS and pax not giving you the correct address. Also if you get less then a five star rating and you know you did everything you can correctly do not get upset. It happens to all of us. Good luck on your journey. May I suggest a song that you should be listening to on your first pick up. HIGHWAY TO HEll. By ACDC. It will set the tone for the day.

60000_TaxiFares

Hey there fellow uber drivers. I just got approved by uber and am ready to make some extra money. The only thing is I'm nervous about starting, kinda like first day jitters I guess. How did you guys and gals get over this, and how do you suggest I start?
You may want to go to the Cincinnati Section and read there. Cincinnati seems like most Uber areas where daytime driving may not pay that well. Weekend nights (like most other places ) seems to be where there is more money.

The rates here are .80/.15, about the national average. This works out to a $7.00/hr (with tips) proposition most times unless there are significant surge, guarantee or other incentives available. Uber seems to be pretty stingy with the incentives for about 90-95% of the drivers so it is what it is.

In general a $20/hr guarantee is about $11 or so net. All this assumes operating costs of about .30c/mi. Sometimes there are so many strings attached they are not that helpful.

Good luck. Let the Cincinnati forum know what you've learned in a month.

Stay safe

CC

Kyle_escape

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for your advice. I'm going to start this evening and try to get a feel for it and mostly try and get used to people I don't know get in my car haha. I will look at the Cincinnati section. I didn't know that there was one haha.

wk1102

Just take a couple shots of jack Daniels and you be fine!. Just think of your pax as one cheap skate and you are the one that owns the car not them! You will make mistakes because of GPS and pax not giving you the correct address. Also if you get less then a five star rating and you know you did everything you can correctly do not get upset. It happens to all of us. Good luck on your journey. May I suggest a song that you should be listening to on your first pick up. HIGHWAY TO HEll. By ACDC. It will set the tone for the day.
I do a few shots and 2 Vicodin before i head out. Only i suggest vodka, i got called out a few times now because i stunk like whiskey.

I try to keep the music set to somethin mellow though. The pain killers and booze is that kind buzz... dint want to ruin it

wk1102

Hey there fellow uber drivers. I just got approved by uber and am ready to make some extra money. The only thing is I'm nervous about starting, kinda like first day jitters I guess. How did you guys and gals get over this, and how do you suggest I start?

You're going to make mistakes no big deal, some people will be cool some won't. Just try to not be so stiff, let them know you are new, i did well with tips my first week.

Uber48208

I procrastinated the first 3 days after I was approved... got the guts when I woke up obscenely early on a Saturday AM. Best move I think I made... it's a slow time, roads are empty - started app in my driveway and just sat there til first ping came in...

You'll develop confidence once you make first pick up and drop off... at that early AM weekend point, you're just picking up the early risers who are opening their retail store... pretty low key

Haha... that first pickup for me was someone's house in a rural area - she had a couple bags with her and I jumped out of my car to help her with her door... the look I got was priceless... $3.00 tip later, I realized she understood my nerves as I showed as "NEW" to her on the app...

After that first drop off, go straight to a parking lot of a local store, fast food restaurant, etc. and WAIT for the next request... don't drive around for it... that was my mistake after the first one... got ballsy and headed to the airport which was near by... got a request 15 minutes AWAY from it and panicked, didn't accept it and then lost focus on the road... also a waste of gas.

Way2Lucky

The first step is always the hardest, I've been driving since October 2015. I turned on the app and had my first request within a couple minutes. The ride was only a few miles in my hometown and the riders were friendly and talkative, so it was over before I knew it. Couldn't believe it was that easy. Now over 3-K trips between UBER and Lyft.
You're going to make mistakes. Neither NAVI app is 100% effective and can throw you a curve at a major highway interchange by sending you the wrong route, or at an apartment complex where you can't see any addresses. Don't hesitate to call the riders and say you can't find their location, they'll be happy to help if they really want the ride.
Download the passenger app and use it to see where other drivers are, then position yourself strategically to try and get requests first. Roaming around for requests consumes fuel and adds to vehicle wear, so keep that to a minimum to reduce costs. Don't chase the surge, it'll usually be gone before you get there. Good luck!

tohunt4me

I
Remember my first trip like it was yesterday.
Picked up 3 women on vacation on Magazine Street to bring them to Musee Conti.the wax museum,now closed after over 50 years.absolute straight line trip of 1 1/2 miles.

Attachments

ChortlingCrison

A few shots of tequilla I think will work better! As far as an ACDC song, I think "Big BAlls" is a great icebreaker.

Tessie

How many rides have you done now?
I made the mistake of starting on Friday night. First pax gave me the wrong pick up location by over a mile. I waited at the wrong place for 20 mins. I tried to call and text but there was no response and I didn't know how to do the cancel because of no show. They finally called the minute before the deadline I had just set in my mind and gave the correct address. I found out why they didn't mind waiting twenty mins, they were in their apartment smoking meth (they smell like smoky cat piss). I almost barfed a few times because of their smell and they asked me the same questions over and over because they already forgot what was said before it was done being said! It was about 20 miles to their destination, so it got annoying, quick! I finally get them out of my car and it took an hour to air it out from their stench. I so badly wanted to say to them, "you know people can smell that stuff on you, right?" But I bit my tung.
Good luck on your venture!

Papa

One trip at a time. Don't rush with anything. Accepting the trip, getting to the P/U, Driving to the destination, getting the next trip...

MissNisee

I made sure I had my car set up with a cooler of water/juice and mint and gum. It gave me something to say as they got in the car like" Good afternoon/morning, How are you doing today? I have complimentary water, juice, mints and gum" It would put the riders at ease. Then start the Nav and be on the way. Then Ask the riders if they want to listen to a specific station on the Pandora and if the temp in the car is comfortable. Don't talk too much unless initiated and if your rider starts talking on their cell phone, turn the music down. On your first few rides go in areas that you are familiar with and confident driving in. Oh, one last thing. Bring snacks for yourself to eat between pickups, get out of the car and stretch as often as you can, and find a reliable and safe place for bathroom breaks. Good luck, and stay positive. :smiles: