Need some driverly advice

aeiou_-

I need some advice from my older/more committed/more experienced drivers on this forum.

I am 27. My favorite passenger is 23. This passenger has been my regular for close to 4 years, she tips well. She is extremely wonderful, so wonderful that we may live together, 5 stars. I consider myself a good committed driver. I take my turns easy, I drive the speed limit, I use my mirrors. We mesh well and there have never been many bumps on the road. She has expressed to me that she would like me as a permanent and private chauffeur, I do not believe in such antiquated contractual agreements to validate our relationship(i have my reasons). I'll give her water, I'll give her mints, I'll take her through any drive thru on a Saturday night.. I'll drive to her doctor's appointment when her hair is grey, because I'm in it for the long haul. I just don't see what a piece of paper and one big expensive day changes.

I know some of you out there have been doing the private chauffeur gig for a long time, happily. Any advice is welcome.

KimchiRiceSoNice

Bad Boys: "Ride together, We Die together." You'll know when you're ready... if you don't then that's a pretty good indicator. For me, I needed to do as bluetooth advised, pick up a lot of passengers. Glad I did. And now happy with the one I chauffeur around 24/7. Even though she's a pain in the neck and looking over my shoulder as I write this.

aeiou_-

Metaphor for dating and marriage, huh?

My advice is to pick up as many other female (or male - no judging here) passengers as possible until your car is shriveled up and doesn't work anymore :wink:
Just gauging the true differences of a permanent change in employment status, with a little help from my friends.

I've picked up plenty of passengers in my younger 20's. Provided candy and lodging for the night, fun times.

Bad Boys: "Ride together, We Die together." You'll know when you're ready... if you don't then that's a pretty good indicator. For me, I needed to do as bluetooth advised, pick up a lot of passengers. Glad I did. And now happy with the one I chauffeur around 24/7. Even though she's a pain in the neck and looking over my shoulder as I write this.
I suppose this is more a fundamental difference I did not realize was there. This has been discussed before, I thought we were on the same page.

Elmo Burrito

I need some advice from my older/more committed/more experienced drivers on this forum.

I am 27. My favorite passenger is 23. This passenger has been my regular for close to 4 years, she tips well. She is extremely wonderful, so wonderful that we may live together, 5 stars. I consider myself a good committed driver. I take my turns easy, I drive the speed limit, I use my mirrors. We mesh well and there have never been many bumps on the road. She has expressed to me that she would like me as a permanent and private chauffeur, I do not believe in such antiquated contractual agreements to validate our relationship(i have my reasons). I'll give her water, I'll give her mints, I'll take her through any drive thru on a Saturday night.. I'll drive to her doctor's appointment when her hair is grey, because I'm in it for the long haul. I just don't see what a piece of paper and one big expensive day changes.

I know some of you out there have been doing the private chauffeur gig for a long time, happily. Any advice is welcome.
Is this really Travis?

corniilius

Been there, done that. Haven't had a dry week since ending the arrangment. Enjoying multiple passengers a week, but that suits me perfectly. Just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for you. Good luck

Deep Fried Jedi

I was 34 when I made the arrangement permanent and this was after driving her around for nearly 14 years. Both of us just needed to mature and then it all made sense. 15 years later, I'm still the chauffeur. It has been bumpy and not always fun, but I've learned a lot from it and I'm a better person for it. I think you'll know when the time is right as it will make sense to you. Don't feel rushed, you have a lot of time. It sounds like she may be a bit more traditional than you. It may help to compromise a bit and see if you can meet somewhere in the middle.

somedriverguy

It doesn't matter if it matters to you. It matters if it matters to her. If you don't really care, then why not just do it?

aeiou_-

It doesn't matter if it matters to you. It matters if it matters to her. If you don't really care, then why not just do it?
The issue is that I do care.

I guess I would consider marriage(but not now), but never a wedding. I wish I could tell you why I am so rigid on this. aeiou's capital letters split when he was very young. I'm not bitter about it, great capital letters of mine. I just don't associate love and commitment with signing papers or walking down an expensive aisle surrounded by people I don't want to see.

Showa50

If it's been mentioned, then she wants it. Regardless of your beliefs. Especially if her friends are getting upgraded rides.

PrestonT

A wedding doesn't have to be ridiculously expensive. Tell her you're an Uber driver (real, not metaphorical), and the wedding has to be appropriate to that station in life. JP it is, then.

aeiou_-

I would just prefer to elope and get lost on a vacation with her or something. I just thought we were on the same page, mates. Weddings, tradition, relatives can all go kick rocks. Sounds brutal and cynical, but it's really just about being practical and honest for me.

Citronbull

Just play house for as long as you can. No need to get married unless she's preggo or her folks demand it. Living together, you'll really get to know each other very very well.

MissEeee

I would just prefer to elope and get lost on a vacation with her or something. I just thought we were on the same page, mates. Weddings, tradition, relatives can all go kick rocks. Sounds brutal and cynical, but it's really just about being practical and honest for me.
I understand opposing the legal papers - who wants to be any more owned by the government than we already are. That being said, you can do a public declaration, handfasting or blessing of your union instead. Maybe it doesn't have to be huge and crazy expensive (something else that bothers me). Perhaps you can find a small ceremony that works for you Both where you make vows or promises you both mean and get a non legally binding certificate from the nice officiant. You can always draw up a memorandum of understanding or covenant between you with your understandings of what happens to common property etc should you not stay together.
Just thinking out loud.

Part of my other job is being the celebrant at weddings, blessings and memorial services.