Need an Advice: Potential lawsuit

Riley3262019

I would appreciate if anyone in this community could please volunteer information about a good attorney that can help me to file a lawsuit against Uber technologies Inc and a rider.

A rider knowingly damaged my vehicle and ran away into his apartment. I immediately called the police but because I had already completed the trip, I couldn't retrieve exactly which house number he entered. The police took the report and issued me a police report number. I called Uber and provided them with all available information including the police report number. Afterwards, they had me go to the dealership to get an estimate of the damage. The damage was around 900 dollars. Uber paid only 250 dollars and left me with the rest of the bill. I asked Uber to provide the rider's full name, phone number and address so that he can be sued directly, Uber ignored my request.

I am determined to fight this cheating behemoth however I can, any help from the community will be greatly appreciated.

Christinebitg

You're not going to like it. But this is my honest opinion.

Your claim is worthless. The passenger is uncollectible. And Uber will not accept, nor be found responsible for, any of the damage the passenger did.

To find the passenger, you'd need to either hire a private investigator or do that work yourself. Namely staking out the area of the apartment. Doing it yourself could get you arrested or worse.

Pursuing the lawsuit using an attorney would probably cost you in the neighborhood of $10,000 to start. No attorney will take it on a contingent fee basis, because they will see it as uncollectible. (See above.)

Uber will not lose a court case to you over this matter. They didn't cause the damage, and the passenger wasn't their agent. If you have any doubts about whether Uber would prevail in a court of law, go back and re-read all the stuff you had to agree to, to be allowed to get on the driver app in the first place.

I'm sorry your car was damaged. That part sucks.

Christinebitg

You may be able to pester Uber to give you contact information for the passenger.

They won't do it over the phone or by email. But perhaps at a hub.

You won't find an attorney to help you with the small claims court stuff. That's like asking a doctor to come to your house to treat you for a cold. The doctor wont do it, and neither will an attorney.

It used to be that Uber would show you the destination address after the trip was completed. They don't do that now, but I'm sure they retain it. That doesn't help with a apartment number, though, unfortunately.

TXqwi3812

Did you get it on video? If not, even if you do the work to find the guy all he has to do is deny it.

If you don't have a dashcam now is the time to get one!

Last edited:

Uber1010

I would appreciate if anyone in this community could please volunteer information about a good attorney that can help me to file a lawsuit against Uber technologies Inc and a rider.

A rider knowingly damaged my vehicle and ran away into his apartment. I immediately called the police but because I had already completed the trip, I couldn't retrieve exactly which house number he entered. The police took the report and issued me a police report number. I called Uber and provided them with all available information including the police report number. Afterwards, they had me go to the dealership to get an estimate of the damage. The damage was around 900 dollars. Uber paid only 250 dollars and left me with the rest of the bill. I asked Uber to provide the rider's full name, phone number and address so that he can be sued directly, Uber ignored my request.

I am determined to fight this cheating behemoth however I can, any help from the community will be greatly appreciated.
It is so simple you sue Uber for covering the actual crime then the judge will order Uber to release the information of the criminal ...then the judge will punish the criminal for hit an run the will give order to pay for damage....plus your expenses for your time ...Uber are not guilty what pax doing to your vehicle or to you it is your own responsibility...but are guilty ...for covering the crime when police request the evidence who was the pax.. because they send you to pickup him .. little example to understand. ... If crime happened some where ..Police have the right to ask to everyone who have surveillance camera to see what was going one ....

Merc7186

Unfortunately this is the cost of doing business for driving these animals around. Youre not going to get a penny more than $250.

Spend your time focusing your energy on something else, it will be more fruitful.

UberBeemer

Call your local office of your state bar association. They usually offer referral services.

Wildgoose

File for small claims against Uber if you go to your local court house there is help on how to do it.

Did they give a reason why they only paid 250?
$250 is for maximum penalty of damage fees that could be charged to a rider.

Post automatically merged:

You should have told the police that he had assaulted you, punched your head twice or somethings. Then police will be chasing him.
Small claim against Uber is best approach. Uber won't waste their times and big money spending on lawyer on a such small case. They will reimburse your money.
I don't think Uber is going to deactivate you because you do small claim against them. If they do, you are going to win a lottery. You could find a lawyer very easily who will willingly fight for you.

Last edited:

MiamiKid

Not worth an attorney for $900.00. Take it to small claims court where it will only cost a small filing fee.

Who knows, you may end up on Court TV.

dnlbaboof

$250 is for maximum penalty of damage fees that could be charged to a rider.

You should have told the police that he had assaulted you, punched your head twice or somethings. Then police will be chasing him.
Small claim against Uber is best approach. Uber won't waste their times and big money spending on lawyer on a such small case. They will reimburse your money.
I don't think Uber is going to deactivate you because you do small claim against them. If they do, you are going to win a lottery. You could find a lawyer very easily who will willingly fight for you.
dont do this this is perjury and cops can tell........just forget about it, 250 should be more than enough to fix the car if you find a cheap repair place....even if its not youre just going to have to eat it id just forget about it

Carbuncle

This is a small claims issue. File in small claims.

You’ll get your money.

You're not going to like it. But this is my honest opinion.

Your claim is worthless. The passenger is uncollectible. And Uber will not accept, nor be found responsible for, any of the damage the passenger did.

To find the passenger, you'd need to either hire a private investigator or do that work yourself. Namely staking out the area of the apartment. Doing it yourself could get you arrested or worse.

Pursuing the lawsuit using an attorney would probably cost you in the neighborhood of $10,000 to start. No attorney will take it on a contingent fee basis, because they will see it as uncollectible. (See above.)

Uber will not lose a court case to you over this matter. They didn't cause the damage, and the passenger wasn't their agent. If you have any doubts about whether Uber would prevail in a court of law, go back and re-read all the stuff you had to agree to, to be allowed to get on the driver app in the first place.

I'm sorry your car was damaged. That part sucks.
You’re wrong. They can get their money back in small claims. They will easily win this.

SuzeCB

File the small claims lawsuit yourself against "John Doe, a passenger in my car while driving for Uber, actual identity to be revealed in Discovery". Once the lawsuit is filed, you'll be able to subpoena the information from Uber and, if then necessary, from the bank that provided the credit card used for the account.

Once you have THAT, you will amend your lawsuit to include the actual name, and have the person served.

While that is happening, take the identity information back to the cops and press charges for vandalism. With any luck, the criminal case will be won before you get to court on the civil case... If it does, very little evidence will be necessary on your part, except for the amount of the damages. Why? Because the level of evidence needed for a guilty verdict in a criminal case is higher than civil. A civil court judge can't rule contrary to a criminal court's findings with regard to the same incident.