Need advice on buying a dash cam...

nerdcorepunx

Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a dashcam but I have a few specifics that I would like to meet. First of all, I live in a warm climate so I need something with a capacitor. I would like forward facing and also cabin facing with audio. I would like for the video to to be high def and also with good night vision inside the cabin. I would also like to for it to have the ability to upgrade to a large SD card so I don't have to constantly save my files. I would prefer that it is somewhat discrete,i just don't want a huge camera in my windshield. Lastly, i live in SW Florida, so yhe mount should be something the sun won't absolutely destroy. I would like to stay under $150 if possible. If anyone has any suggestions on which brand and model i should go with,please let me know. Thanks!

TomTheAnt

Vantrue N2 Pro seems to be the camera of choice for quite a lot of rideshare drivers. Upgraded my $50 camera from Amazon a week ago when the Vantrue Pro was on sale for $149 at Newegg. Haven’t driven with the new camera installed yet.

Jake Air

Well at least you're not too picky.

I'd go on Amazon and read through the reviews like I did when I purchased mine.
Also, go on YouTube and watch all of the reviews from other ride share drivers.

KD_LA

Author
Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a dashcam but I have a few specifics that I would like to meet. First of all, I live in a warm climate so I need something with a capacitor. I would like forward facing and also cabin facing with audio. I would like for the video to to be high def and also with good night vision inside the cabin. I would also like to for it to have the ability to upgrade to a large SD card so I don't have to constantly save my files. I would prefer that it is somewhat discrete,i just don't want a huge camera in my windshield. Lastly, i live in SW Florida, so yhe mount should be something the sun won't absolutely destroy. I would like to stay under $150 if possible. If anyone has any suggestions on which brand and model i should go with,please let me know. Thanks!
Not too many reputable dashcam options at all with a capacitor instead of a battery. Read about my decisions (and some tips) here:
https://uberpeople.net/threads/my-take-on-dashcams-why-how-and-where.296084/

Mine has already gone through one hot Southern California summer, with no issues.

PlayLoud

Hello,

I haven't used mine through the Texas Summer yet, but the Vantrue N2 Pro checks a lot of boxes on your list.

* Forward and cabin facing with audio
* 1080p on both cameras when operating simultaneously
* Good night vision inside the cabin (Must be the N2 Pro, and not the regular N2).
* Large MicroSD card (256GB with current firmware)
* Can be found for about $150 when on sale (normally $200)

I don't know how discrete you'll be able to get with a cabin facing camera. By definition, it has to be visible inside the car. I place my Vantrue N2 Pro slightly behind the rear-view mirror. If I aim the cabin camera down a bit, I can minimize how obvious it is. I don't think I've had a single passenger bring it up. When I've brought it up in conversation, I usually get a response saying they didn't even notice it.

Here is my camera hanging just below the rear-view mirror).

KD_LA

Author
Hello,

I haven't used mine through the Texas Summer yet, but the Vantrue N2 Pro checks a lot of boxes on your list.

* Forward and cabin facing with audio
* 1080p on both cameras when operating simultaneously
* Good night vision inside the cabin (Must be the N2 Pro, and not the regular N2).
* Large SD card (256GB with current firmware)
* Can be found for about $150 when on sale (normally $200)

I don't know how discrete you'll be able to get with a cabin facing camera. By definition, it has to be visible inside the car. I place my Vantrue N2 Pro slightly behind the rear-view mirror. If I aim the cabin camera down a bit, I can minimize how obvious it is. I don't think I've had a single passenger bring it up. When I've brought it up in conversation, I usually get a response saying they didn't even notice it.

Here is my camera hanging just below the rear-view mirror).

View attachment 315518
You might be able to make it a bit more discreet with their mirror mount, but you'd loose GPS functionality.
I have a second dashcam in the back to cover rear-facing traffic, been thinking about using the GPS mount back there.

PlayLoud

You might be able to make it a bit more discreet with their mirror mount, but you'd loose GPS functionality.
I have a second dashcam in the back to cover rear-facing traffic, been thinking about using the GPS mount back there.
Yeah. I'm fairly satisfied with the current placement, and I don't want to lose the GPS functionality. That said, if the mount ever fails (maybe when the summer heat bakes it), I'll reconsider.

Illini

Yeah. I'm fairly satisfied with the current placement, and I don't want to lose the GPS functionality. That said, if the mount ever fails (maybe when the summer heat bakes it), I'll reconsider.
Thanks for the pic. Looks great.

estore009

A reliable capacitor-based dashcam can avoid lithium battery swelling/failure in high summer temperatures.

KD_LA

Author
A reliable capacitor-based dashcam can avoid lithium battery swelling/failure in high summer temperatures.
Capacitors fail (or rather, blow up) too! I've had my share of electrolytic caps blow up under my nose with their spectacular stench. In a previous job I even had a fleet of fifty Dell Optiplex 745SFF desktop computers each with multiple failed caps.

But... while caps in this application do seem to be more reliable than batteries, good reputable non-battery dashcams with the best bells and whistles seem to be far and few in between.

KD_LA

Author
Might its cost is much better than capacitor-based dashcams?
I'm not sure there's much price difference between batteries and high-capacity capacitors as free-standing components, but I've just not found a cap-based device that fits my personal preferences.

Velos1

Jake Air

Could I ask what your power source is for the back camera?

estore009

Normally the supplied USB car charger in the dashcam package has one spare USB output socket for iPhone charging. You can plug it into this socket for a power source!