• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Need advice (Desperate Houston Driver)

jtk131604

But that is why I’m here. To ask for some advice. What can I do?
There is nothing you can do but get what you get. Seriously. Don't rely on this money to pay all the bills. It will be a struggle, times ten, if even doable at all. If you really want to maybe do better, work the bar crowd at night. Good times.

But that is why I’m here. To ask for some advice. What can I do?
Keep in mind that only an idiot would give you actual good advice. That would be stupid for them to do as it would take money out of their pocket. Telling you the best time and place to drive is a well kept secret cherished by experienced drivers. Get out there, figure out what works for you. There's a HUGE pool of drivers and a HUGE pool of riders. The problem is figuring out how to find the rides that make money. You should be getting nearly non-stop pings if you know where and when to drive.

DDW

If you wanna find out how much you can make just do it. Stop trying to take to easy way out shortcuts. Old school is the best school.

One of these days I will go 100% airport runs, start at 5 am? problem is waking up.. just want to find out how much total you can make in 1 day.

I did 7 total runs one time from AP , 3 short runs. That day, I was helped by the quick Q movement ...avg time less than 10 minutes..
So I tried next day, and this time Algo did not help in the Q movement ?

DDW

Hi, I’m new to Uber and I’m doing this full time as I transition to a new job. I’ve just started my third day and in three 10 hour days I’ve made a total of 40/hr here in Houston. I once met an Uber driver who claimed to make 3k a month. How can I get at least 10 rides per day? I’m running low on cash and whatever I earn is mostly spent on the gas...
Simple, work more hours if you need more money.

JaredJ

Leverage your destination filter to do airport laps on Uber/Lyft. You can wake up early and get the 5am trips but the flights don't arrive until 8ish so you're going to be sitting in the lot for a while.

The full timers go to Austin Weds-Sunday, rent an Air BnB for $35/night then come back to Houston Monday/Tuesday. They'll work 8am-3am and gross $400/day in Austin.

Christinebitg

so you're going to be sitting in the lot for a while.
Don't even. I'm happy to get trips TO an airport, but I don't sit in the lot. Not ever. I haven't even gotten the airport sticker. (Yes, you need one to pick up at a Houston airport. Drop offs are okay.)

Why would you want to sit in an airport lot for two or three hours doing nothing? With a bunch of guys who are holding phones for each other.

MyJessicaLS430

Don't even. I'm happy to get trips TO an airport, but I don't sit in the lot. Not ever. I haven't even gotten the airport sticker. (Yes, you need one to pick up at a Houston airport. Drop offs are okay.)

Why would you want to sit in an airport lot for two or three hours doing nothing? With a bunch of guys who are holding phones for each other.
I agree with you about the suggestion of not sitting in the lot but...

Would you mind to share why you are happy to do airport trips? I don't mind doing one with Select but definitely not X. Usually an IAH trip = 20 empty miles back... Sometimes if luck is on my side, I may get a ping from someone after entering the 610 area (more common) or in Tidwell / 69 (extremely rare) the way back.

I also don't have a sticker. Not only because I do not do pick-ups anymore but also the insurance company may find out the fact that I am doing RS without their consent. Since a registered vehicle is considered as a commercial vehicle which it should not be difficult for them to retrieve such record, I rather drive a few empty miles from the airport premise.

Mikeh013

I do many rides to both Bush and Hobby, and never have problems finding rides back. If I didn’t get long airport rides I wouldn’t even mess with this rideshare stuff.

Christinebitg

Would you mind to share why you are happy to do airport trips? I don't mind doing one with Select but definitely not X. Usually an IAH trip = 20 empty miles back...
I usually (not always) get another trip request after I leave IAH. I've gotten pings in the area around Greenspoint sometimes. Not the nicest area, but I haven't had any problem.

I had one time when I got a ping around Willie G's along Beltway 8, a guy going up to The Woodlands mall. Followed by a couple of guys going from FM 1960 down to Hotel Derek on the West Loop. That worked out okay, since I live in the Heights.

One time, I was headed west on Greens Road west of JFK, headed for Sam's Club on I 45 for gas. Got a ping that took me out to Kingwood. I enjoyed going there because I used to live there, a couple of decades ago.

I guess the short answer is that more often than not, I get a trip request after I get away from the airport. If I did get a ping from the airport itself, I'd have to turn it down, because of the sticker requirement.

The main reason, though, is because I have to keep my wheels turning to make money. And getting on the interstate is the best way I know to do that.

Christinebitg

IMO you should be getting gas at Costco instead of Sams. Costco is a top tier gas.
Well... I buy gas at Sam's because that's the membership that my Significant Other decided on for work. So unfortunately, Costco isn't an option I have.

The car already takes premium gas. Kind of expensive for driving for Uber, but like most people, I drive what was already in my driveway when I started.

Mikeh013

Houston has two airports, one north and one south. Early morning driving can get you trips back and forth. It’s not hard here to get long trips, work the area, then end back up 5 minutes from home.

MyJessicaLS430

I usually (not always) get another trip request after I leave IAH. I've gotten pings in the area around Greenspoint sometimes. Not the nicest area, but I haven't had any problem.

I had one time when I got a ping around Willie G's along Beltway 8, a guy going up to The Woodlands mall. Followed by a couple of guys going from FM 1960 down to Hotel Derek on the West Loop. That worked out okay, since I live in the Heights.

One time, I was headed west on Greens Road west of JFK, headed for Sam's Club on I 45 for gas. Got a ping that took me out to Kingwood. I enjoyed going there because I used to live there, a couple of decades ago.
Woodlands? Kingwood? That means you ended up somewhere further north of the airport. The chance of getting a trip back to inner 610 is extremely slim. You were really lucky to have one back to the Galleria area.

Whenever I get a Select trip to the airport these days, I would simply call it a day and eat up the loss the way back to the city. One time I went to the lot to catch the $6 sticky surge with Select on only and then left the premise. This is probably the most stupid mistake I have ever made. Driving down 69 and a few minutes past the beltway, I took an exit and turned on X to test out my luck. Almost instantly there was a X ping but that brought me to the Woodlands 🤬🤬🤬. This translated to 30+ empty miles. Had I not been greedy to take the $6 surge, I would NOT have driven an additional 10+ miles (pick up distance from the beltway + distance between Woodlands & IAH).

Having learnt the very hard way, I would rather take a "hit-or-miss" by setting a DF for the NRG stadium soon after airport drop-off than taking random rides in undesirable regions....

Texantx

Not accurate at all. I live in Pearland and 9 out of 10 times I get rides back to close to home, not just back into 610.
Nope. Sorry but that's not true. 9 out of 10 is a fantasy. Other than if you were very lucky or waited there for a long time. I have been in Woodlands too many times. I used get just few times short local rides with uberx now I do only XL & Up and not even a single time got ride from there. No offense but I believe not a smart decision to accept uberx to Woodlands.