• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Need advice (Desperate Houston Driver)

Uguette

Hi, I’m new to Uber and I’m doing this full time as I transition to a new job. I’ve just started my third day and in three 10 hour days I’ve made a total of 40/hr here in Houston. I once met an Uber driver who claimed to make 3k a month. How can I get at least 10 rides per day? I’m running low on cash and whatever I earn is mostly spent on the gas...

John McYeet

I don’t think there’s any secret magical way. Just drive around local hot spots. Also driving during busier times like morning commute time and evening commute time might help. Just try and avoid rush hour.

mbd

Hi, I’m new to Uber and I’m doing this full time as I transition to a new job. I’ve just started my third day and in three 10 hour days I’ve made a total of 40/hr here in Houston. I once met an Uber driver who claimed to make 3k a month. How can I get at least 10 rides per day? I’m running low on cash and whatever I earn is mostly spent on the gas...
Go to the airport and sit... your tips should take care of the gas. At least do 2-3 runs from airport, regardless of the time and dead miles.
Drop from airport , then drive towards airport , 10-15 min, maybe you get a ping... if no ping, then turn app off, and drive towards airport ... turn app on 5 min before you hit airport.
This is just to get your total gross up. Don’t do this with new vehicles .

Mikeoftulsa

Not sure what the market in your area is like, but bar closing is a busy time, as well as when big events let out. I'm sure there are several concerts / week that you could position yourself to get some rides from. Its all about strategy and working smarter.

Reactions: DDW

Jay Dean

Get ANY job you can, you are in Houston, the economy is plenty strong, you aren’t going to make actual money driving with true expenses involved, are you above delivering pizzas? What kind of work “can” you actually get?

John McYeet

Go to the airport and sit... your tips should take care of the gas. At least do 2-3 runs from airport, regardless of the time and dead miles.
Drop from airport , then drive towards airport , 10-15 min, maybe you get a ping... if no ping, then turn app off, and drive towards airport ... turn app on 5 min before you hit airport.
This is just to get your total gross up. Don’t do this with new vehicles .
I was about to say do airport runs but I know a lot of people are against them because of dead miles. I’ve always had pretty good success with them. Especially in the winter months.

mbd

I was about to say do airport runs but I know a lot of people are against them because of dead miles. I’ve always had pretty good success with them. Especially in the winter months.
One of these days I will go 100% airport runs, start at 5 am😁 problem is waking up.. just want to find out how much total you can make in 1 day.

I did 7 total runs one time from AP , 3 short runs. That day, I was helped by the quick Q movement ...avg time less than 10 minutes..
So I tried next day, and this time Algo did not help in the Q movement 🥴

Last edited:

Jay Dean

One of these days I will go 100% airport runs, start at 5 am😁 problem is waking up.. just want to find out how much total you can make in 1 day.
Here in Austin you need to wake up at 3:30 and be on road at 4 and from 4-6 it’s nothjng but rides to airport with no traffic, if you aren’t currently working that is the time to drive, rest is a headache and risky with all the traffic and people running late for work, pure annoyance

Illini

Three 10 hour days is 30 hours. If you've made $40/hr, then over 3 days you earned $1,200.
You shouldn't be asking us for advice. You should be giving us advice.

RabbleRouser

$40 per. is a flash in the pan, a "Howdy Doo Tex" from uber corp.to a newbie
prepare for the common $15 gross

DriverMark

$40/hr is non-stop long haul trips. Did you state your $$ right? What platforms are you on?

If you are expecting more than $40/hr, you should jump ship while you are ahead. It's only going downhill for you from that level.

5☆OG

The job has its inconsistencies, however there is a bit of a learning curve. Ie learn the city and the times and flows of uber traffic. For this there is no short cut only experience will teach you the ebb and flow. And even with that said there is no guarantee of success but you can improve your chances by being in position at the right times and days. Every city is unique,from pay to landscape. Good luck !