Uber Drivers Forum banner

Need advice asap please NJ EWR

6K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  Mikey_D 
#1 ·
okay so I've been driving uber for about 9 months now. I'm in the airport a lot and have never really gotten hassled to the extent that I got hassled today by port authority...
So I dropped someone off in terminal A I was literally there for less than a minute about to pull out. Cop comes to my window and asks how long I've been driving uber so I told him. Then goes on to tell me he could write me $5000 in tickets right now and ubers can not be in the airport even dropping off without a taxi license, commercial insurance, etc..
I was in the Newark city hall meeting in April when the council came to an agreement with uber so we are the only ride share service allowed to operate within the city.
So what I want to know is like did I miss something?? And was this cop for real bc now I'm scared to go back in the airport since my car stands out and I do not want any tickets whether uber pays for it or not

#3 ·
okay so I've been driving uber for about 9 months now. I'm in the airport a lot and have never really gotten hassled to the extent that I got hassled today by port authority...
So I dropped someone off in terminal A I was literally there for less than a minute about to pull out. Cop comes to my window and asks how long I've been driving uber so I told him. Then goes on to tell me he could write me $5000 in tickets right now and ubers can not be in the airport even dropping off without a taxi license, commercial insurance, etc..
I was in the Newark city hall meeting in April when the council came to an agreement with uber so we are the only ride share service allowed to operate within the city.
So what I want to know is like did I miss something?? And was this cop for real bc now I'm scared to go back in the airport since my car stands out and I do not want any tickets whether uber pays for it or not
Uber had an agreement with Newark but that doesn't really apply to the airport even though Newark and Uber both said it did. The reason it doesn't apply is because the Port Authority leases the land and has sole authority to make deals with vendors and to enforce the laws. So it doesn't matter what Uber agreed with Newark.

But... I wouldn't sweat it. Keep driving.

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
does anyone here recommend parking in the parking garage and walking over to the terminal for pickups out of the airport? Another driver told me to do that once. Never have just wondering if it's a good idea considering I make most of my money out of the airport.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
So what I want to know now is wtf was the purpose of uber paying Newark $10million to operate within the city, airport, penn station, etc. ? If uber was smart they should have paid port authority bc clearly most money is made out of the airport. And why tell everyone that it's okay for ubers to be in there when reality it isn't . I don't understand these people sometimes it's really annoying.

#12 ·
So what I want to know now is wtf was the purpose of uber paying Newark $10million to operate within the city, airport, penn station, etc. ? If uber was smart they should have paid port authority bc clearly most money is made out of the airport. And why tell everyone that it's okay for ubers to be in there when reality it isn't . I don't understand these people sometimes it's really fvcking annoying.
I think that they are anticipating a State Law being passed soon. It's quite common for state laws that regulate transportation companies to spell out what towns/cities/municipalities can add on. One area that they always allow for lots of additional local regulation is airports. Uber wanted to make sure they had the airport covered when Uber is legal in NJ statewide.

As for the question of "why they tell everyone it is now legal when it isn't", I have no idea. Uber is well aware that us drivers are operating illegally in NJ but they decided it would make more sense to provide us a lawyer and pay our fines than to follow laws.

#17 ·
This is correct to a degree, terminal A is technically in Elizabeth, and they have been fighting with New York TLC for years (well before uber), for pickups even when they were going back into NYC.

However the fight with the Newark deal is more difficult because Newark doesn't have the authority to change the rules at the airport because the state has granted that authority to the Port Authority of NY/NJ.

But who knows what is going to happen with the state regulation of these TNC apps. The Newark deal is actually not worth the paper it's written on without the state changing the minimum regulations. Each municipality can add rules and regulations to the states, but they cannot ignore or override the minimum requirements of the state with the state changing the rules

#18 ·
From what I understand Newark and Elizabeth are allowing UBER in their cities with out permits from those cities to operate as long as they comply with all state limo/taxi laws and regulations. The PAPD regulates the airport and can do as they please.

If you do not know what that state law is I can post a link for you.

#21 ·
You didn't say whether it was PAPD or Elizabeth PD that harassed you. Anyway, here's the deal; the Newark agreement does not apply to Terminal A as it is in Elizabeth. The cities can't right laws for EWR as it is controlled by the PAPD who will enforce the state laws at their discretion. You need comply with state and local rules to legally operate at EWR. Uber currently doesn't comply so if you choose to operate at EWR, you must be as discreet as possible. Personally, it's not worth the risk at standard mileage rates .

#22 ·
So after a little bit of digging today this is what I found out from the mouth of uber itself lol...
Supposedly papd is not happy that the city of Newark came to an agreement with uber on their behalf. They are ticketing a handful of people each week, but since the tickets are taking place in Newark it goes to the municipal court. The mayor instructed all the judges in Newark to dismiss all uber related airport tickets since Newark and uber came to an agreement. Papd is waiting for it to get regulated statewide before they stop handing out tickets.

Basically papd is pissed bc Newark made an agreement without their consent but in reality when they give out tickets the municipal court of Newark will dismiss all tickets. So they are basically just writing tickets to create a hassle that goes nowhere in court.

Please no one give me backlash I am just repeating what an uber corporate manager told me today. Still don't want to get a ticket regardles...

Happy money making everyone lol

#29 ·
According to uber.. yes that's exactly what they are doing. Basically being spiteful in other words since The city of Newark came to the agreement with uber without their consent
Either way I would be careful...the payoff and agreement that uber made with the mayor of Newark was pretty much a bribe and payoff to have the city "look away" and not enforce the state regulations...this could change back at anytime.
But good luck!

Reactions: thatUberGirl
#31 ·
So I dropped off a passenger at Terminal C, no problem, then get a request to pickup at Terminal C immediately; so I accepted, like I always do, I call the passenger, find her and her friend, pull over to the side and load the luggage in the back as well as the passengers. Some Taxi guys starts yelling at me and the passengers that we are breaking the law, the passengers are telling me to get going, so I do. The police up ahead, respond to the yelling taxi guy and come out into traffic and stop my car. They pulled me over, removed the passengers and luggage, checked all my paperwork and then told me I was breaking the law. Told me if I return to the airport as Uber, I will be arrested, my vehicle towed, andI would have to appear in Newark Court.

Here is Ubers reply;

Subrata Dutta (Uber)

Jun 14, 16:18 PDT

Hi Michael,

You are welcome to pickup from Newark airport. If you run into any problems there, just let us know and we'll be happy to help you out.

Please note that there is no queuing system with the Uber app; other partners who arrive at the airport after you may get a fare before you.

If you are not getting requests at at the airport, we recommend moving along to a new location.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Subrata Dutta
help.uber.com

#33 ·
So I dropped off a passenger at Terminal C, no problem, then get a request to pickup at Terminal C immediately; so I accepted, like I always do, I call the passenger, find her and her friend, pull over to the side and load the luggage in the back as well as the passengers. Some Taxi guys starts yelling at me and the passengers that we are breaking the law, the passengers are telling me to get going, so I do. The police up ahead, respond to the yelling taxi guy and come out into traffic and stop my car. They pulled me over, removed the passengers and luggage, checked all my paperwork and then told me I was breaking the law. Told me if I return to the airport as Uber, I will be arrested, my vehicle towed, andI would have to appear in Newark Court.

Here is Ubers reply;

Subrata Dutta (Uber)

Jun 14, 16:18 PDT

Hi Michael,

You are welcome to pickup from Newark airport. If you run into any problems there, just let us know and we'll be happy to help you out.

Please note that there is no queuing system with the Uber app; other partners who arrive at the airport after you may get a fare before you.

If you are not getting requests at at the airport, we recommend moving along to a new location.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Subrata Dutta
help.uber.com
I literally only stay in terminal c when picking up unless I catch something after dropping someone off in another terminal. I have never ran into any issues in C and I'm there literally every day multiple times a day. The only issue I've had was in terminal A. papd walk by me all the time in C and know I'm uber and never have I ran into a problem. I'm surprised.
Hopefully nj can have it regulated soon enough so we can just stop running into these dumb issues. And port authority cannot arrest you for that. The papd are the state police rejects and wake up every day like someone constantly pissed in their Cheerios lol

#34 ·
The Port Authority should NOT be hassling ANY drivers. Here's a press release from their own department:

STATEMENT FROM THE PORT AUTHORITY OF NEW YORK AND NEW JERSEY POLICE DEPARTMENT
Date: Feb 19, 2016
Press Release Number: 29-2016

We have received numerous inquiries over the past few days about the policy of this Agency with regard to utilization of ridesharing firms such as Uber and Lyft at Newark Liberty International Airport. The Port Authority Police Department will not take steps to prevent access to such services by passengers or others on the premises owned or leased by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

The Port Authority has a responsibility to provide safe and convenient services for travelers. It also recognizes that it must partner with local municipalities which host its facilities and will resolve any differences which may exist in a reasonable and fair manner.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
212-435-7777

#35 ·
Would anyone be willing to tell me if they've received a ticket from Port Authority Police @ Newark Airport since Feb 19, 2016?? I did a Freedom of Information Request asking the Port Authority how many citations they issued to Uber drivers since Feb 19th and the reply was that they had NO records showing any citations issued since that press release date. If anyone has received a ticket since then and would be willing to share that info, I could then go to the media to show that the Port Authority lied in the FOIA and is continuing to harass Uber drivers despite their own department stating, "The Port Authority Police Department will not take steps to prevent access to such services by passengers or others on the premises owned or leased by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey."

#37 ·
I'm curious if you've been going back since you last responded to this post? Have you had any issues if you've gone back? The fact that you were concerned enough to ask three questions tells me you were smart enough to realise the (possible consequences) weren't worth the measly pay generated from it. After being warned and I'm sure the warning was filed so any PAPD that pulls you over in the future knows of it I hope you realise these offences if they harass you again aren't with any amount of money made. I couldn't work like that personally. Constantly looking over your back?? Please let us know how you've made our since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.