1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Need advice asap please NJ EWR

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by thatUberGirl, Jun 9, 2016.

1. thatUberGirl

thatUberGirl

okay so I've been driving uber for about 9 months now. I'm in the airport a lot and have never really gotten hassled to the extent that I got hassled today by port authority...
    So I dropped someone off in terminal A I was literally there for less than a minute about to pull out. Cop comes to my window and asks how long I've been driving uber so I told him. Then goes on to tell me he could write me $5000 in tickets right now and ubers can not be in the airport even dropping off without a taxi license, commercial insurance, etc..
    I was in the Newark city hall meeting in April when the council came to an agreement with uber so we are the only ride share service allowed to operate within the city.
    So what I want to know is like did I miss something?? And was this cop for real bc now I'm scared to go back in the airport since my car stands out and I do not want any tickets whether uber pays for it or not

2. Orioles

Orioles

Idk. I'm there at least once a day sometimes twice a day dropping off. Never been approached

3. Undermensch

Undermensch

Driving:
    UberXL
    Uber had an agreement with Newark but that doesn't really apply to the airport even though Newark and Uber both said it did. The reason it doesn't apply is because the Port Authority leases the land and has sole authority to make deals with vendors and to enforce the laws. So it doesn't matter what Uber agreed with Newark.

But... I wouldn't sweat it. Keep driving.

Gabriel Quijas and thatUberGirl like this.
  4. Undermensch

Undermensch

Driving:
    UberXL
    Like that officer, I don't think your comment is going to last very long... 3... 2...

5. Hackenstein

Hackenstein

You probably are breaking the law, but hey laws don't apply to Uber. Just repeat a mantra of how bad and unfair legal taxis are and you'll be fine.

6. The first mistake was admitting to the cop you drive for Uber. If you had your phones out and the pax was in the back, also mistakes.

7. chevelle454

chevelle454

Driving:
    UberX
    Never go to EWR unless pax is in Front seat and Phone not showing or at least make sure the ap isn't visible.

Nagodesi likes this.
  8. thatUberGirl

thatUberGirl

does anyone here recommend parking in the parking garage and walking over to the terminal for pickups out of the airport? Another driver told me to do that once. Never have just wondering if it's a good idea considering I make most of my money out of the airport.

9. UberKilledMyMarriage

UberKilledMyMarriage

Driving:
    UberPREMIUM
    Just know that once you drive at the airport(EWR),Drop-offs/Pick-ups, you are subjected to fines,summons,hassling from NJPA, so operate at one's own risk,Otherwise #UBERON!

10. Millio007

Millio007

Driving:
    UberXL
    Papd operates at the state level enforcing that law. Nj state still has limo license commercial insurance and permit. You are dropping and picking up at your own risk until a law is handed out for NJ.

thatUberGirl likes this.
  11. thatUberGirl

thatUberGirl

So what I want to know now is wtf was the purpose of uber paying Newark $10million to operate within the city, airport, penn station, etc. ? If uber was smart they should have paid port authority bc clearly most money is made out of the airport. And why tell everyone that it's okay for ubers to be in there when reality it isn't . I don't understand these people sometimes it's really annoying.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2016
    Uber00 and njn like this.
  12. ftimmy

ftimmy

Driving:
    UberX
    I think that they are anticipating a State Law being passed soon. It's quite common for state laws that regulate transportation companies to spell out what towns/cities/municipalities can add on. One area that they always allow for lots of additional local regulation is airports. Uber wanted to make sure they had the airport covered when Uber is legal in NJ statewide.

As for the question of "why they tell everyone it is now legal when it isn't", I have no idea. Uber is well aware that us drivers are operating illegally in NJ but they decided it would make more sense to provide us a lawyer and pay our fines than to follow laws.

13. nickd8775

nickd8775

Driving:
    UberX
    You probably had the pax in the back seat. I'm front seat only for both pickups and dropoffs until a state law is passed.

14. UberLOUnj

UberLOUnj

I wouldnt cause then you have to pay for parking and i think its $4 min for 30min i think. Your just eating into your profit.

jonnyplastic and thatUberGirl like this.
  15. jerseyboys

jerseyboys

Driving:
    UberPREMIUM
    Terminal A is not in Newark jurisdiction. Only B and C.

Uber00 likes this.
  16. Millio007

Millio007

Driving:
    UberXL
    Savy drivers pay 4.00 to stretch out 1hr but back then at nyc 2.10 rates made sense....but What boggles my mind is working EWR at .85mile with all the papd risk and surge at ewr is not guaranteed. Need at least 2.4 to get back to old nyc rates

17. Douglas

Douglas

Driving:
    UberSUV
    This is correct to a degree, terminal A is technically in Elizabeth, and they have been fighting with New York TLC for years (well before uber), for pickups even when they were going back into NYC.

However the fight with the Newark deal is more difficult because Newark doesn't have the authority to change the rules at the airport because the state has granted that authority to the Port Authority of NY/NJ.

But who knows what is going to happen with the state regulation of these TNC apps. The Newark deal is actually not worth the paper it's written on without the state changing the minimum regulations. Each municipality can add rules and regulations to the states, but they cannot ignore or override the minimum requirements of the state with the state changing the rules

18. atthehop

atthehop

From what I understand Newark and Elizabeth are allowing UBER in their cities with out permits from those cities to operate as long as they comply with all state limo/taxi laws and regulations. The PAPD regulates the airport and can do as they please.

If you do not know what that state law is I can post a link for you.

19. VISAYA

VISAYA

No
    No you can't. What qualifies you to give legal advice in this forum all the time? You never went to law school. Stop confusing people with your non professional hints.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2016
  20. Mikey_D

Mikey_D

Once it becomes legal for Uber and Lyft to pick up at Newark airport it will become flooded with drivers. This will mean the end of airport taxi service. And the end of Uber drivers making money doing pickups there.

comic156 likes this.