Nav Apps: what do you use and why?

Wombat7

I'll use the Uber Nav unless it gets confused, then I'll switch to Google. Lately Google's taking forever to load.

On Lyft I can generally follow it to the destination. When I have to switch, I'll go to Google but the Lyft version of the Google maps has been perverted by some evil form of Lyft chicanery.

Haven't used waze in over a year, I felt it was too cluttered at the time.

What do you guys use?

Null

Waze. Mostly because it loads faster than Google.

I like Google's voice nav better than Waze and lane assist, but Google's just too slow.

I used to use Google on both, but recently switched to Waze on Uber after one too many bad routes on Google. I left Google on Lyft, so I could A/B and see which I like better. I find it easier to scope out alternate routes on Google, and do like their visuals in general, but generally I find Waze more reliable trip to trip. I'll be switching Lyft over this week.

I haven't tried Uber's own nav for a "real" trip since they allowed outside navs again. There are visual elements of their nav I really like, though, and I generally spend the last part of any trip on Uber or Lyft's screen (between which Uber's is way better). For short trips a few blocks away, I just use the "overview" screen on each and never go to outside nav.

Pesty

I stayed at the holiday inn last night so don't need to use a nav.. but when i do, use google as wave is just to darn busy on screen. I do however use wave on long road trips for the cop feature, saved my ass going to Vegas.

I've lived here since 99 and feel I know the area really well so I try real hard to get there on my own and use nav only when necessary. It's less distracting and keeps the conversations flowing rather than focusing on a tiny screen to see where I'm going. I like to ask the pax if they have a preferred route as well so they feel more involved in the journey.

DamseLinDistresS

In the beginning I used to use Waze. Many times I found it a bit confusing during exits, especially when some of the exits overlapped each other (the arrow was not very clear). I missed several exits because of waze and had pax's complaints about navigation.
IMG_4953.PNG

I then switched to Google maps and found it way easier to navigate the exits. I like how they have the arrows on top and give you which part of the road you're supposed to be to take that exit. Navigation complaints have diminished for the most part:rolleyes:
IMG_4954.PNG

Last edited:

Kevin4163

Safe_Driver_4_U

very happy with Uber in app nav, been using Waze for Lyft, no problems with exists so far, I have lived here since '85 know my way around well.

SurgeSurferSD

I've used Waze since day one driving. I like Kate (the female British voice) and my PAX often comment on how they enjoy the accent since I run it through CarPlay while Pandora plays reggae whether they like it or not.

MaddMaxx

I've used Waze since day one driving. I like Kate (the female British voice) and my PAX often comment on how they enjoy the accent since I run it through CarPlay while Pandora plays reggae whether they like it or not.

Party Foul...

... Do you really blast turn-by-turn directions through the app/stereo? Do you have a candy dish with mints and gum to recover your rating?

squeaky_ride

Been using Waze. Seems to be preferred by pax because there is this perception that they are getting a faster ride, or is otherwise best guiding them to their location. Not that it will actually give them a better ride, just perception.

I've always used Google Maps for personal use previously. We don't think of Waze as a religion like they do in OC/LA.

I'm going to switch to Google Maps on both apps and see how I do. I think I'll be able to provide a better rider experience and be less frustrated myself. Exceptions (heavy traffic, live traffic updates).

Comment on both apps:
-pin drops are often screwed up. It seems to convert gps coordinates to the nearest address, and then gives me an address based pin to drive to. I've wound up down the street, caddy corner from the correct address.
-If people are at a bar/restaurant/business they ought to go off that. When Joe's Pub displays in app it is easier to find than 1234 Main St, especially at night.

Edit to include one comment in Uber:
-I don't like the zoomed out top view that always displays where you are and the destination. I don't need that view when I am far away, with many turns to go. It doesn't add value. It needs to auto zoom in with nearby and relevant landmarks.

One comment on Lyft:
-It bugs me you can't rotate the compass. Unless I've missed it somehow, north is always up.

Reasons I am getting away from Waze:
-slow to load
-you generally need to be moving for it to display the direction you should head. This is bad when you have just picked up pax and don't know which way to head. I want to look like a pro, not ask pax how to get there right off the bat.
-turns. OMG, turns are the worst. Why does it take up to 5 seconds for the GUI to display that I have turned (and also to display my next directional). This is terrible when it's right, immediate right for instance.
-it shows the arrow going backwards, sometimes for quite a while (10-15 seconds?) before it figures out where I am going.
-wants you to take a picture when you get there. This blocks a portion of the map, and also probably where the address text belongs. In the app store, people have been complaining about this "feature" for years.
-does not display the destination address when you need it most - pickups/dropoffs where you're looking for an address you've never been to. That's when I usually switch back to the U/L app.
-lost cell service last Saturday. Both Uber and Waze went wonky. Luckily I was on the guy's street. If it were Google Maps, I probably would have been fine with offline maps and a GPS signal.

Can't wait to get back to Google Maps, and save some data using the offline maps while I'm at it.

Last edited:

Wombat7

Everything you said about Waze at the bottom happens to me with Google Maps. I suspect that when used in conjunction with the Uber app, Uber does some minor sabotage to it to degrade performance. Haven't tested it by itself yet.

squeaky_ride

Everything you said about Waze at the bottom happens to me with Google Maps. I suspect that when used in conjunction with the Uber app, Uber does some minor sabotage to it to degrade performance. Haven't tested it by itself yet.

Well, I had my first night out with it. Yeah, there is definitely some U/L bits and bytes sabotaging it. I read that and said, now that's a bit of a conspiracy theor...

Now hang on a second. Tonight, Google Maps:
- displayed something along the lines of 'drive to point' when approaching a pickup/drop-off when Uber had previously displayed the address. This possibly is tied to my previous belief that a pin drop is converted to an address, which may or may not be at the pin.
- Started moonwalking my location arrow. This was while I was driving in a straight line. Not from a stop, not immediately after a turn.

Anyway, I'm no developer, but I believe U/L feeds the GPS data and the map app displays it. I don't know as any map app can display bad data that's useful for us. It is definitely more user friendly when not used in tandem with U/L.

And the lane notification tool was wrong on a freeway interchange with a pax in the car. Embarrassing.

Ubering

Google maps on both. Wwhhhooaa who uses Uber or Lyft navigations?

I like the technology behind WAZE (Google bought them in 2013), but I hate their platform. So cluttered with advertising pop-ups, and jargon all over the screen.

Seth619navy

For Lyft, I use Google Maps and for Uber I use the Uber navigation (which I like due to it opening faster). What's the verdict for you guys on Uber's navigation?

Wombat7

Lately I've found myself floating between Google and Uber. Uber is good for final approach in the dark; meaning when you're a within a couple hundred yards from your destination (or is that Lyft?)

Uber's also good for checking to see if it's showing a longer route. It gets ridiculous sometimes. Last night I pick up a couple from a restaurant on Convoy who were going to 11th and J downtown. The Uber map wants me to go on the 805 to the 15, to the 94 in to dwntwn. Would've made a few extra bucks but I thought it was a quick way to get screamed at.