1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Nav app

Discussion in 'Edmonton' started by Ruadh, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Ruadh

Ruadh New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    What's the best app to use in Edmonton.
    I've been using Google but I'm not all that happy with it.
    It doesn't seem to be as accurate as it should.
    I had one fare tell me that one of her drivers was using one that started with an N but she couldn't remember the name.
    I did a search but the one I found, Navitel, doesn't seem to have a map for Canada.

2. SuperMike

SuperMike Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Specifically how is it not accurate? I think only gmaps and waze can be used with the partner app. I tried waze for 10 minutes until it started popping up banners for stores I was passing blocking the map view. #googlemaps4life

Grand cherokee likes this.
  3. Ruadh

Ruadh New Member

Driving:
    UberX

It tells my fare that I'm there when I'm 2 blocks away. Doesn't give an accurate location for the pick-up at times.
    I had a fare tell me tonight that this is the last time he'll use UBER.
    He says the gps takes the driver on a circuitous root and he is tired of it.
    I wondered, to him, if it might be my unit and he said he didn't think so, it happens too much.
    He feels its the gps.
    I don't think UBER themselves have any thing to do with the routing, do they?

4. ayanle

ayanle Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Most maps you need to learn how they read GPS location may you see sometimes takes you back alley or any where. I learned Google map so I keep it.

5. SuperMike

SuperMike Member

Driving:
    UberX
    This week I have noticed google maps really ****ing up. I have started using the internal uber maps to supplement google maps. sigh. I may give waze another chance.

6. Dennisvaz

Dennisvaz Member

I went for my first pick up today and when I was asked which nav app I wanted to use I chose google maps. It told me to turn right, after I did it said "your're at your destination" pulled into the empty lot, no one ever showed. Wondering now if it was google stopping me at the wrong place?

7. Greg888

Greg888 Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Google maps is really the only game in town and generally so accurate it blows my mind. 9/10 if the destination is input properly google will route you right to the door. I can offer the following observations:

You have two separate navigation issues. The pickup, and the pax's destination, the dropoff.
    Most of your problems will occur on the pick up. You need to use Ubers screen and the Google screen together.

Regarding above posts. I have rarely had a pax tell me I had arrived early, usually late. However if it is an apartment complex or mall, the app will sense your arrival as you pass on the street out front before you turn in. You will arrive when you are within 25 meters. You can be behind the building, somewhere within 50 meters of your pax. This is quite a big circle. If you get a little lost, make a wrong turn your pax could get an arrival before you show up. This is rare enough to not be a problem, and works in your favor since the riders will be ready faster.

The passenger complaining google always routes the long way is just a miserable &%$@!* and can be ignored. This is just simply not true. It can happen but if you use some of the suggestions below, is rare enough to be dismissed. Tell the jerk to take a cab!

The "empty lot" problem is usually not google. The pax has usually inputted the wrong pickup location. You could be within 50 meters of him so look around for a logical location. Start your timer. (he's got 5 mins to get his act together!) Immediate text "UBER: please confirm your address". Take it from there. No response or blocks away, let the timer run out and collect your $5 "no show" fee. Move on.

However, Google will almost always drop the pin in the alley behind the building. It then routes you there the best it can. This can be a bit confusing till you get used to it and learn to interpret it properly. DON't drive down the alley and look for your pax! This is the sign of a very inexperienced Uber driver. You need to decide which street the pin is adjacent to and get out front on the main street. Switching to the Uber screen and getting the exact address will usually clear it up. Although this Uber screen seems fairly crude and is difficult for navigation, it is actually loaded with info not immediatly apparent. Look at the little boxes on the screen near the pin. Pinching in will reveal a wealth of data, as any businesses in the area are labeled. You sometimes have to pinch in to reveal this embedded data. Try and do this as you are approaching a few blocks away. BE CAREFUL while driving. Once you have arrived use the crude Uber screen to further adjust your position. Watch the little blue dot in relation to the pin. Are you moving toward it or away?

Sometimes pax want to be picked up in an empty lot. They drop the pin where they are standing. It does happen. I've been sitting trying to text or call thinking this can't be right, when suddenly someone is trying the door. Literally appearing out of the shadows.

Right when you get the ping on the initial Uber map orient yourself to the destination. If the pin is at the top of the screen you are heading North. Bottom=south. Bottom and then left=south and west. It helps to say out loud, "Im heading East and South" before you hit navigate and bring up google maps as you are driving. That way you can grap the quickest turn toward your destination as google is calculating. Use the little directional logo at the bottom right of your google screen to get the"god" view to your destination. Google will show you all the different routes to your destination as grey lines. I use this continually as I'm driving to any destination, pick up or drop off.

Once pax is in the car and you slide "start trip" read out the destination address. Ask if it is correct. Pax will usually help with a bit more info, a preferred route, or just say "yes". Hit navigate. Don't start driving!! Let google calculate the route and hit the "god" view. Look at the different routes to the destination. Say to your pax, "do you have a preferred route, looks like we're going to Whyte ave", etc There are always a number to different options you need to decide the best one. 9/10 google will route you the fastest but you can change it, or change as you drive as google quickly recalculates your route. It usually takes sometimes half a block for the gps to kick in, so asking pax which way to start off works really well. Once you get going you're golden. Google will usually take you right to their door.

Waze is not a contender. Aside from the ads it is not as easy to follow turns and off ramps. Google is your only option and fully integrated into the Uber app, so learn it well. The whole game is based on it. There is really only one major flaw for me. It is the blued night time navigation screen that can't be turned off easily. It is extremely difficult to find alternate routes on this night vision screen. I always run the daytime screen and just dim my display a bit. I do this by changing the system clock to day time. Its a bit of a hassle, but all the Uber times and calculations are unaffected.

Since navigation is he heart of Uber driving I use a 10 inch Samsung tablet with a Bell sim card on a mount in the bottom left corner of the windshield. Trying to play this game using your phone just doesn't work for me. I don't know how you do it! Too small. My phone then runs separate on the cars bluetooth. I can talk to my sweetie or play music and use the phone for backup nav. Using a tablet is just fantastic. All the info is in your face on a large screen and you don't have to look away from the road to navigate or change screens. You can look for this tablet deal at Bell on a 2 yr plan, actually very inexpensive with a flexable data plan. (Fido has similar) This has another advantage. This tablet has a separate phone number that uses messaging only. No phone calls. Seems everytime I get pax on phone they are demanding and rude. So for me it's text only and pax seem to like texts better. This is just my preference from my experience.

Thats all i can think of for now and I hope these comments helped you new guys.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    SuperMike likes this.