• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

National "What's My Name" campaign

gonzotildawn

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/killing-south-carolina-student-who-mistook-car-uber-prompts-rideshare-n989646

I've left this same 20 something smartass college girl twice for challenging me with this BS...drunk, of course.
Both times it was after 2:30am...on the tail end of a loooong night.
First was on a cul de sac in Little Silver... second was in Middletown on a dead end street after waiting 3 minutes..
"What's My Name?" she insisted.
I responded that it was not a coincidence that I stopped in front of her pickup address (in a residential neighborhood) at 2:30am with the vehicle described in her app.
"What's My Name" ? she asked again. I replied with an appropriately sarcastic response like "Dead To Me", canceled & drove away.
It seems I was a bit insensitive following the murder of that poor girl in South Carolina.
Anyone ever pickup a rider with a name that didn't match the request?
If "Britney" has a full beard...it's probably not Britney...but it is a ride.
I will be more forthcoming in the future... when Kathy asks for my name as I arrive to pick up ROBERT!

Last edited:

PorkRollUberAndCheese

I've left this same 20 something smartass college girl twice for challenging me with this BS,
First was on a cul de sac in Little Silver... second was in Middletown on a dead end street after waiting 3 minutes..
I responded that it was not a coincidence that I stopped in front of her pickup address (in a residential neighborhood) at 2:30am with the vehicle described in her app.
"What's My Name" ? she asked again. I replied with an appropriately sarcastic response like "Dead To Me", canceled & drove away.
It seems I was a bit insensitive following the murder of that poor girl in South Carolina.
I will be more forthcoming in the future... when Kathy asks for my name as I arrive to pick up ROBERT!
Bottom line, I confirm their name and/or address if I have any doubts.

But here's the way to do it:

Rider: "what's your name?"

Me: Pork roll.

(Rider starts to get in)

Me: just to confirm, what's YOUR name?

Riders rarely have an issue. You can also covertly cover the screen if necessary.

gonzotildawn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
"What's MY Name?", pork. You got it reversed.
Account holder knows our names & nicknames.
At 2:30am, I'm too tired to be cross examined... I'm usually pushing out "quest" trips.
My tolerance for know-it-all drunks has pretty well run out at that time.
The college president should EDUCATE his students to cross reference our vehicle & plates to be sure.
College girls are often using mommy's account to begin with.

Last edited:

SuzeCB

Pull up to pax/Pax walks over to car.

Me: Roll down window. Big smile. "Hi! I'm SuzeCB, and you are....?"

Pax gives correct name & I unlock doors for entry and then ask, (another big smile) "So, where are we headed today/night?"

Pax gives destination, I start trip and check it. If correct, off we go.

If pax gives a different name, "I'm sorry, that's not the name I have. Did someone else order for you?"

Pax gives correct name of account holder or I say, "I'm sorry, I'm not here for you. Your car should be here shortly."

Then wait until the 5 min. timer is up or correct pax shows up and starts the tape all over again.

This sounds like a lot to newbies, but it really isn't. There's a lot of conversational repetition in this job, and if you accept that and do it exactly the same way every time, it becomes second nature.

It's all about two things: 1) SAFETY, both the pax's and your own; and 2) not allowing any wiggle room for a trip fare to be taken from you by tue account holder saying it was the wrong rider, either because they're scamming or someone Uber-jacked their ride.

MaximusMurkimus

I always ask for their name. If it's someone else and they can tell me who called the Uber for them (matching the one in the app) that's fine too. Pax aren't the brightest and will sometimes say "yes" to any name you give them, even if it isn't theirs.

hrswartz

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/killing-south-carolina-student-who-mistook-car-uber-prompts-rideshare-n989646

I've left this same 20 something smartass college girl twice for challenging me with this BS...drunk, of course.
About 25%, maybe a little less, of my rides are on another's account... like a guy gets in and the name I'm supposed to p/u is Mary... I just say "you don't look like a Mary to me... we have a laugh, then it's like "Mary is my mom or wife or sister or whatever"... never had a problem and their green spends just like everyone else's... no problem here. As I have a warped sense of humor I used to put down the window and if I was picking up a Mary I'd ask "Sally?" just to be funny... the rider usually got a laugh outa it BUT since the murder in SC that all stopped! I was wondering how other drivers handled riders using other peoples accounts... not serious enough for me to worry about it though, it's Uber's problem if a card or account is stolen... if the ride was approved I'm getting paid... am I right or am I wrong?

gonzotildawn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is it so hard to say “hi (insert name)” and confirm where they are going? Why are so many people miserable dickbags. It’s just general niceness
It's so nice to see "niceness" in it's purist form.
Although I am at a loss to see how my post makes me a "miserable dickbag", I will elaborate.
The smartass college girl was one of six that had me waiting almost 5 minutes at 2:30am on a residential street in Little Silver...I was the only traffic in the entire neighborhood. After 5 had settled in my XL, the 6th came up to my window and barked "What's My Name?". I made a comment about the odds of me NOT being her Uber driver and she began to spew Uber rhetoric and what my requirements were as a driver. I have 5000+ trips...most of them during bar hours DTS. I have done ZERO trips with said rider
I threw them out and canceled the trip.
The second time was in my neck of the woods...I recognized her by her catchphrase: "What's My Name?"
I canceled... because I could!
My rating is pretty good for a miserable dickbag... I didn't post for etiquette lessons.

FlyingFortress

Author
Is it so hard to say “hi (insert name)” and confirm where they are going? Why are so many people miserable dickbags. It’s just general niceness
Ok, many, many of my riders are extraordinarily nice and extend the same courtesies and warmth to me — a lowly service provider — as they do to their friends, families or coworkers. This is my best expectation and I am usually easily satisfied with less given the pressures they suffer with getting from A-to-B today. But often I get the rider who truly believes that he/she is considerably better than I because I'm humping the steering wheel for dog-poop-pay and they're not. These people have a way bigger problem than I do because they take the problem home with them and I lose the problem when they leave the car. And why do they slam the door? Do they know that it'll cost about $300 to change that window regulator? Go figure. But again, they are ENTITLED!

SuzeCB

It's so nice to see "niceness" in it's purist form.
Although I am at a loss to see how my post makes me a "miserable dickbag", I will elaborate.
The smartass college girl was one of six that had me waiting almost 5 minutes at 2:30am on a residential street in Little Silver...I was the only traffic in the entire neighborhood. After 5 had settled in my XL, the 6th came up to my window and barked "What's My Name?". I made a comment about the odds of me NOT being her Uber driver and she began to spew Uber rhetoric and what my requirements were as a driver. I have 5000+ trips...most of them during bar hours DTS. I have done ZERO trips with said rider
I threw them out and canceled the trip.
The second time was in my neck of the woods...I recognized her by her catchphrase: "What's My Name?"
I canceled... because I could!
My rating is pretty good for a miserable dickbag... I didn't post for etiquette lessons.
"What's my name?!"

"Well, we're going to have a helluva time figuring out if you belong in my car if you don't know. Better cancel and go check with your Mama, 'cause I ain't her."

Ride-Share-Risk-Manager

So sad how this tragedy has turned into a national campaign for entitled drunk young women to scream abusively at drivers "what's my name?". No please, no excuse me, but do you know my name sir ? No, I am just trying to be safe and I am confirming that you know my name please.

Instead, it's just obnoxious behavior disguised as better safety practices. Of course Uber and Lyft are silent on the topic and don't bother to send out some suggested approaches for passengers to feel safe while respecting their driver.

MoneyMitch

So sad how this tragedy has turned into a national campaign for entitled drunk young women to scream abusively at drivers "what's my name?". No please, no excuse me, but do you know my name sir ? No, I am just trying to be safe and I am confirming that you know my name please.

Instead, it's just obnoxious behavior disguised as better safety practices. Of course Uber and Lyft are silent on the topic and don't bother to send out some suggested approaches for passengers to feel safe while respecting their driver.
Not only that but I haven’t seen any message from U/L to drivers saying anything about the tragedy nor any “best practices” reminder type of message for confirming the correct PAX for a trip.

FlyingFortress

Author
About 25%, maybe a little less, of my rides are on another's account... like a guy gets in and the name I'm supposed to p/u is Mary... I just say "you don't look like a Mary to me... we have a laugh, then it's like "Mary is my mom or wife or sister or whatever"... never had a problem and their green spends just like everyone else's... no problem here. As I have a warped sense of humor I used to put down the window and if I was picking up a Mary I'd ask "Sally?" just to be funny... the rider usually got a laugh outa it BUT since the murder in SC that all stopped! I was wondering how other drivers handled riders using other peoples accounts... not serious enough for me to worry about it though, it's Uber's problem if a card or account is stolen... if the ride was approved I'm getting paid... am I right or am I wrong?
I agree with you. Usually not a problem getting the right rider, many times without any distracting meet up interrogation. Given the pick up point "tells" and how the rider comports him/her self, it's quick if there are no red flags. The airport and other busy locations like malls, not so much. This sort of match up needs to be dead-accurate and you take whatever time you need to do this right, for all the reasons that have been posted here. I don't do the bar scene unless I can get drunk too. So not driving there. As riders get more experienced with using rideshare the matchups get more seemless.
What's more, there are HUGE PAX behavioral differences at different locations. Increased situational awareness is not as critical in affluent suburban neighborhoods as it is in others. Business pickups are typically trouble free except for nailing down where at the building the rider is waiting. Or whether they're still in there on the phone which happens all the time.

Hey, the cops unofficially profile all day long... because it could save a life. I follow what the cops do so well. Have to.

Last edited:

Jefg1110

Pax gives correct name & I unlock doors for entry and then ask, (another big smile) "So, where are we headed today/night?"

If pax gives a different name, "I'm sorry, that's not the name I have. Did someone else order for you?"

Pax gives correct name of account holder or I say, "I'm sorry, I'm not here for you. Your car should be here shortly."

Then wait until the 5 min. timer is up or correct pax shows up and starts the tape all over again.

This sounds like a lot to newbies, but it really isn't. There's a lot of conversational repetition in this job, and if you accept that and do it exactly the same way every time, it becomes second nature.

It's all about two things: 1) SAFETY, both the pax's and your own; and 2) not allowing any wiggle room for a trip fare to be taken from you by tue account holder saying it was the wrong rider, either because they're scamming or someone Uber-jacked their ride.
Good r u.I do it the sameway

aI do it your way 4 3 1/2 years

ibeam23

Uber has tweeted a lot about checking license plate number before entering a vehicle.