Nail in tire. Any advice?

Superduber

Anyone have advice on Flat tire repair? Just noticed that I have a nail in rear tire.

So just did some googling on this and it seems the "proper" way to do this is to have the tire removed from the rim, remove nail, inspect inside of tire to make sure no inside damage (primarily to steel belts), then insert a "mushroom plug" (ie. cap on inside of tire with stem through the hole).

Seems to me this is different than the way I remember this always being done, namely, just pull out nail, insert rasp tool, push through a straight plug. So I don't know if the recommended way is really that much better or just a make work project for the shops as you can't really do the recommended way at home (remove tire from rim, repair/plug, and reinstall tire back onto rim). I feel like I'm inclined to just repair it the "classic" way, still on the rim and push through a straight plug.

Santa

My flat tires get repaired the old fashioned way.

Nail comes out. Fix flat tire repair kit gets used.

Taking the tire out of its rim is too excessive. If you've driven a few hundred metres on the flat, then you need another tire. Because the structure is gone kapoott.

PTB

i always buy the ROAD HAZARD guarantee when I get tires
then you just go back to tire shop and get fixed for free

Manhoos

Buy a $10 tire repair kit from any auto parts store and fix it by yourself.. pretty simple job..

biozon

So just did some googling on this and it seems the "proper" way to do this is to have the tire removed from the rim, remove nail, inspect inside of tire to make sure no inside damage (primarily to steel belts), then insert a "mushroom plug" (ie. cap on inside of tire with stem through the hole).
This is correct, if you want it secure.

biozon

Yup, that's my task for tomorrow morning. Bought a kit at cantire.
My neighbour almost got in an accident because of the kit from CT. His wheel started vibrating within 4 months as if it lost balance, but extreme. When tire shop removed the tire, they found a huge lump of hardened sticky goo from the kit that roamed freely within the tire.

Result - miraculously not killed on the road and now he needs a new tire, because the inside of the existing ones is almost destroyed (and, of course, second new tire as well, for even wear).

Ah well, with the proper fix in the tire shot costing 25-35 bucks, you are still willing to try it yourself.

Good luck!

Manhoos

My neighbour almost got in an accident because of the kit from CT. His wheel started vibrating within 4 months as if it lost balance, but extreme. When tire shop removed the tire, they found a huge lump of hardened sticky goo from the kit that roamed freely within the tire.

Result - miraculously not killed on the road and now he needs a new tire, because the inside of the existing ones is almost destroyed (and, of course, second new tire as well, for even wear).

Ah well, with the proper fix in the tire shot costing 25-35 bucks, you are still willing to try it yourself.

Good luck!
This is exaggerated B.S.
Fixing tire is a simple procedure.. No rocket science.

Superduber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone for the advice. Plugged the hole this morning, it was actually a screw. easy process.

I'm not too concerned about the longevity of this patch, don't need it to last years. With new rules by this winter either need winter tires or all weather. Current all seasons tires are getting on in age so likely will replace with all weather this winter.

biozon

This is exaggerated B.S.
I don't understand what you mean. This is the real situation that happened to my neighbour this week.

Fixing tire is a simple procedure.. No rocket science.
Of course, it's not. But you simply do not (and would not) have proper tools to do it quickly yourself. See video above on how a tire should be fixed permanently and properly. You still can do it at home, but it would take you way more time just because you don't have a machine that takes the tire off and puts it back on the rim. Plus, using a pray bar (if you do it yourself) would most probably scratch your rim.

Harry70

Something you should leave to professionals; jack of all master of none; it's just 30 dollars ; If I would have been u I would have gone to tire guy straight away; any way your choice , your car ,your money , your life ; only responding because u asked for it

Manhoos

I don't understand what you mean. This is the real situation that happened to my neighbour this week.

Of course, it's not. But you simply do not (and would not) have proper tools to do it quickly yourself. See video above on how a tire should be fixed permanently and properly. You still can do it at home, but it would take you way more time just because you don't have a machine that takes the tire off and puts it back on the rim. Plus, using a pray bar (if you do it yourself) would most probably scratch your rim.
I can't believe you are EricTheCarGuy follower...

Manhoos

Something you should leave to professionals; jack of all master of none; it's just 30 dollars ; If I would have been u I would have gone to tire guy straight away; any way your choice , your car ,your money , your life ; only responding because u asked for it
If I need to replace engine or transmission then I leave it to professionals..
Otherwise, tasks like changing car fluids, fixing tires and even replacing brakes is pretty much basic stuff. The only requirment is some space, like garage/driveway and some basic tools..

Harry70

If I need to replace engine or transmission then I leave it to professionals..
Otherwise, tasks like changing car fluids, fixing tires and even replacing brakes is pretty much basic stuff. The only requirment is some space, like garage/driveway and some basic tools..
I m not that car savvy; no comments

biozon

I can't believe you are EricTheCarGuy follower...
Uhm, what does it have to do with improperly fixing the tire?

I do all of that myself as well, including timing belt, water pump replacement, spark plugs, valve adjustment, etc, etc.

However with the exception of the tire fixing, because I (and you) do not have proper equipment to remove the tire and fix it permanently like it should be fixed (see video posted above).

Harry70

Uhm, what does it have to do with improperly fixing the tire?

I do all of that myself as well, including timing belt, water pump replacement, spark plugs, valve adjustment, etc, etc.

However with the exception of the tire fixing, because I (and you) do not have proper equipment to remove the tire and fix it permanently like it should be fixed (see video posted above).
Open a garage ; why ubering