Nail in my run-flat...

MC203

slow leak, right rear tire. lowest the pressure went was 26psi. I put more air in and currently its at the same psi as all the other tires around 33psi.

i've researched and read run-flats + walmart style fix-it sealants are bad news due to high water content that will break the TPMS in that tire.

assuming i'm unable to repair, do i now need to buy two new rear tires so that the tread is even? both rear tires were replaced in Jan 2017, they've only got 12,000 miles on them.

Queenofthepak

slow leak, right rear tire. lowest the pressure went was 26psi. I put more air in and currently its at the same psi as all the other tires around 33psi.

i've researched and read run-flats + walmart style fix-it sealants are bad news due to high water content that will break the TPMS in that tire.

assuming i'm unable to repair, do i now need to buy two new rear tires so that the tread is even? both rear tires were replaced in Jan 2017, they've only got 12,000 miles on them.
If you just bought them in January, why can't you take them back for replacement? Did you not get a warranty at all? Post a pick of the treads.

UberLaLa

If you just bought them in January, why can't you take them back for replacement? Did you not get a warranty at all? Post a pick of the treads.

Agree with QOP on this...most Run Flat Tires come with a RoadHazard Guarantee. If not, no you do not need to match the difference between 12k tire tread wear...of course some OCD type on here will say you do, however. lol

Queenofthepak - Please say that 50/50 pup is yours : )

DocT

MC203 Ouch, I know exactly what that's like! Had a nail in my run flats, but it was also time to change tires. Used my warranty to get it replaced at no charge.

Adieu

Tpms and sealant do or dont interact but in exactly same way runflat or not

Tpms costs pennies

Most of the "goop ruins tpms" chatter is a myth propagated by tire shops tired of cleaning off goop when installing new tires and/or an attempt to upsell you on new tpms sensors (which actually cost pennies.... but not from a new tire shop they dont lol)

Ive gooped and regooped the same sensor multiple times with no ill effect.

Even tread is nonsense.

Buy a single used tire of similar type class and rating if you actually buy a tire....rft or not is NOT actually important when you do.

Lowprofiles with high speed ratings are ALL essentially runflats, just some certified to highway limphome levels (RFT) and some more like limp slowly to a tire shop on surface streets (still wholly doable at 0 psi 1 atmosphere pressure)

Btw werent you in a bimmer??? 12k on rears is almost unheard of...so MANY miles on a single tire lol

LAuberX

While basic USTMA tire repair procedures remain the same for run-flat tires as non-run-flat tires, many tire manufacturers have issued specific policies that supersede USTMA's standard reparability policies.

Selected Tire Manufacturer's Policies for Run-Flat Tire Repair
The following list summarizes tire manufacturers' repair policies, however it should be noted that every tire manufacturer that consents to repair, does so only after the punctured tire has passed a thorough exterior and interior examination.

Manufacturer/Brand Repair Policy Additional Provisions
BFGoodrich Permitted 1 repair maximum
Bridgestone Permitted Only if 15 psi maintained
Continental Does not recommend Mfg. Road Hazard Program*
Dunlop Permitted
Firestone Permitted Only if 15 psi maintained
Goodyear Permitted
Kumho Permitted
Michelin Permitted 1 repair maximum
Pirelli Not endorsed Mfg. Road Hazard Program**
Yokohama Not to be repaired Mfg. Road Hazard Program***

So in a nutshell if you had at least 15 pounds of air in it most run-flat tires are repairable.
I recommend America's Tire.

Duckling

Go to Pico/vermont While you are going down south, its on your right after passing pico. Auto shop. It's cheap

ego7

Go get a patch for $10-$20

MC203

thanks to all. i've never owned a car that monitored the pressure via sensors and read that the sensors are expensive to fix as well as potential for differential issues if you mismatch tread.

sorry too lazy to go back out to the car rn to take a pic, but I know the treads are good. they are continental contipro ssr 225/50 R 17, 8 months old. you're saying that a regular tire warranty covers nails?

Amsoil Uber Connect

Always get the Road Hazard Ins. Cheapest form of Ins one can get.

Run Flats, I'm lmao, pick up a dry wall or wood screw and tell us how long it takes to go flat.

At least with a nail it buys you some time.

MC203

just called continental... here's the scoop for anyone looking at this thread in the future.

step 1) call the tire manufacturer and get your original tread depth using the numbers on the side. they'll walk you through it. from the CSR at Continental I found out i'm covered for 12 months, 2/32nds of wear. in my case i had 9/32nds to start. i need to go measure now and see where i'm at, THEN I can make a decision on trying a repair option. not holding my breath tho, beemers eat rear tires.

i'm only on month 8, so if the wear is within specs then they'll cover it, BUT your dealer/wherever you bought the tire will have to send it back to Continental for inspection, which means A) you'll get reimbursed LATER or B) if your dealer is classy they'll just reimburse you up front.

you'll still need to pay for mounting and balancing.

off to auto zone rn to get a tread depth tool

UberLaLa

EzPz Beautiful...

Wait for the Belle Tire at the end....really cool. That guy sounds like deadmile - I'm thinking...:cool:

Belle Tire Belle Tire Belle Tire Belle Tire Belle Tire

SCdave

Go to an America's Tire nearby.

1) They will check your tires and fill with air free whether you purchased there or not. And give you tread depth on all four written down for you. Some other shops will do this but I use America's Tires.

2) They will fix punctures for free as long as it is not in sidewall or too large. They won't use plugs but remove tire and patch it. Even if you did not purchase there.

3) They will rotate your tires for free. Also even if you did not purchase there. But balancing will cost you if you need it/want it done.

MoreTips

I keep a tire plug kit in my car, ive used it at least 6 times in the last year, you need a pair of pliers too.

Its super easy to do. Get the kind with the T-handle. The screw driver looking one is just about useless

I'll second the vote for a T handle plug kit. The other style is junk.

MC203 sealing a hole with a tire plug is much easier than people think. Watch some YouTube videos. A tire plug kit cost as much as 1 plug at a tire shop, you get multiple plugs (multiple repairs) and you won't have to wait at the tire shop while they just try to sell you a new tire anyway.

If you do try to plug it, having a air compressor when attempting to plug the tire helps. Make sure the tire is at least partially inflated when doing the repair. It makes it alot easier.