Nah-Luton airport

Towie

(Title for those with long memories of Lorraine Chase.....)

Had the misfortune of flying into it last night (London Luton my backside)!
Big AdLee presence -advertising etc.
Lots of AdLee cars working - doing ok by look of it but they were different looking to the London ones (yellow magnetic type door sticker)- as they just Luton ones?

Also about 5 guys (not AdLee) coming up to passengers walking from airport asking if they wanted a taxi- are they allowed to do so or were they touting?

I know not what I do

Lots of AdLee cars working - doing ok by look of it but they were different looking to the London ones (yellow magnetic type door sticker)- as they just Luton ones?

Also about 5 guys (not AdLee) coming up to passengers walking from airport asking if they wanted a taxi- are they allowed to do so or were they touting?
Report to TfL.(they will do sweet fa.)

Emmbee

Nothing to do with TfL at all.

Luton borough Council have licensed AL who run a dedicated fleet from that district and have done a deal with the airport which destroyed the monopoly the Luton Hackneys had on "walk up" bookings at the airport.

Luton is a very busy PH and taxi town and I think the people you speak of are Luton Hackney Carriage drivers who used to have a busy rank there.

Towie

Nothing to do with TfL at all.

Luton borough Council have licensed AL who run a dedicated fleet from that district and have done a deal with the airport which destroyed the monopoly the Luton Hackneys had on "walk up" bookings at the airport.

Luton is a very busy PH and taxi town and I think the people you speak of are Luton Hackney Carriage drivers who used to have a busy rank there.

Ah ok!
Can normal AdLee London drivers pick up from there etc?

Report to TfL.(they will do sweet fa.)

Wouldn't be TFL though as despite being called London Luton is no where near London really!

renod babek

AL is licensed by Luton Council.
I was there Yesterday and TFL drivers were being ousted by traffic wardens outside the Ibis. It's the 1st time I've seen them moving TFL licensed vehicles.
I was down there one night and the main road all way down by Toys r us was rammed with TFL vehicles parked up,and it wasn't half causing a problem!

Last edited:

Quite Quiet

That airport has the cheapest flights for airports near london, used it a few times, no major issues, remember used the easy mini bus one time to Hendon and the tube from there, flew in from Krakow, good all round trip.

Emmbee

Can normal AdLee London drivers pick up from there etc?
They CAN if dispatched to the job by AL London Operating centre. I don't know what AL do in practice if someone phones 387 8888 and asks for a car. Legislation allows them to subcontract bookings between both operating centres provided the triple licensing condition (ask Ben) is met but whether they actually do it or not, pass.

D1991

That airport has the cheapest flights for airports near london, used it a few times, no major issues, remember used the easy mini bus one time to Hendon and the tube from there, flew in from Krakow, good all round trip.
no they don't I've compared gatwick Luton and stansted they all had similar prices if you are flying to Easter Europe maybe Romania and Poland yes then it might work out cheaper as there are a lot of flights departing too that region when I worked for local office 85% of the people I took to Luton were all Romanians or Polish

madhatter

ADD Lee is licenced by Luton and both car and driver needs Luton PH badge.

The drivers were doing very well, the rates are very generous, heard from a London AL Luton to Hemel £50 from rank and £70 M&G, I was gobsmacked as that's around 16 to 20 miles.

Towie

ADD Lee is licenced by Luton and both car and driver needs Luton PH badge.

The drivers were doing very well, the rates are very generous, heard from a London AL Luton to Hemel £50 from rank and £70 M&G, I was gobsmacked as that's around 16 to 20 miles.

So a London AdLee driver can't rock up at Luton and log on and get a customer?