1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Mystery of cancellations immediately after acceptance - solved?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by JBinPenfield, Feb 12, 2018.

1. JBinPenfield

JBinPenfield Member

A lot of you probably already knew this, but to me it was a minor mystery why I would sometimes get cancellations immediately after I accepted a ride. Sometimes these paxes would re-request within minutes.
    I ever bothered to ask any of them about it, but last night one of them offered the following information:

A lot of paxes have both Lyft and Uber accounts, so what they do is order a ride from one and to get the cost info, then immediately cancel and try the other one to see how much it costs. Then they'll go with the cheaper one. Supposedly they don't get the cost quote until after the driver accepts. I've never used the passenger app but it makes sense - the cost can depend in part of pickup time, which Uber won't know until a particular driver has accepted. I don't know about Lyft.

txdrvr likes this.
  2. Cableguynoe

Cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Sorry but this is completely wrong.
    You get the price before you actually request the ride.
    At that point you can see all the prices for pool,x, xl, select, etc.
    So you can then choose what you want.

Why would someone order a ride without knowing the price?

It's really very simple to try yourself.
    This way you don't have to guess.

PhillyEJ, Yulli Yung and Merc7186 like this.
  3. unPat

unPat Well-Known Member

C62CC678-4337-4A1B-9254-6C8423B5AF84.jpeg Sometimes they just don’t like how you look . Just deal with it .

4. UberUber81

UberUber81 Well-Known Member

Also sometimes passengers are seeing who is closer after they request. So they order a ride in Lyft and then Uber, they will look at who is closer and cancel on the one that's further away.

Also sometimes people start request then cancel because they see a car closer than you are but the dispatcher system isn't giving them the closer vehicle (maybe destination filter or driver is ignoring the call).

5. MelaninFellow

MelaninFellow Member

Happened to me the other night. The thing is is that right when I accepted, hardly 2 seconds later it gets canceled. This happened twice in a row, but I got the same ping from the same pax within a minute right after.

6. ibeam23

ibeam23 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Sometimes the pax is trying to get a preferred driver. Uber does NOT give the ride to the closest driver. I've had pax get in my car and accidentally cancel the ride. When they request another car it never goes to me even though they are sitting in my backseat.

Pax will also cherry pick rides. They will request a car and then quickly check the drivers profile. If they see something they don't like, low rating or older car, they will quickly cancel.

But sometimes they are just looking for a closer car.

7. Atom guy

Atom guy Well-Known Member

This. I've done this with passengers before, and same thing, even though they were sitting in my car already, the ride request didn't go to me. Sometimes it would take 2-3 tries to get the ride to me. I had one regular passenger I did this with for months, then one day Uber just refused to match us anymore.

8. ibeam23

Driving:
    UberX
    The only way to get matched with them is to put pax's destination address in your DF. Either that or do a cash ride.

Uber Crack and Rakos like this.
  9. Drivincrazy

Drivincrazy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    No cash rides...undercovers will take your vehicle. They tried me about 3 times in LV...I had been forewarned by both UP and Lyft. So...never do a cash ride.

HotUberMess, Rakos and Uber's Guber like this.
  10. ibeam23

Driving:
    UberX
    I do
    I do agree. I've never done a cash ride personally but I know plenty of drivers do.

11. touberornottouber

touberornottouber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I will say this... 80% of my "speed cancels" on Lyft come from (mostly 20 something) women who are a different ethnicity then myself. It's actually pretty interesting from a Sociological persepective. It is to the point now where if the rider fits that profile I wait an extra 15-30 seconds before moving. It sucks to start up the car, pull out of the parking lot and then have to go back because of the insta-cancel.

Not racist, just the truth. I don't think it helps either that Lyft pretty much forces drivers to take a photo which looks like a mugshot.

...or the company is playing games with ping allocation.

Uber Crack, Rakos and AzAppDriver like this.
  12. Fearmonger

Fearmonger Member

I have also heard from some passengers they are trying to get and XL vehicle for an X rate. If they request a ride and it is a smaller car they will cancel and try again to get a bigger vehicle without having to pay for it.

Rakos, dnlbaboof and Uber's Guber like this.
  13. touberornottouber

Driving:
    UberX
    There should be a small charge for every cancel no matter how fast. Even 50 cents or a dollar would help to dissuade the customer from doing this sort of thing.

upyouruber, txdrvr and kevink like this.
  14. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
  15. Saltyoldman

Saltyoldman Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeah I had this happen on New Years it was a total sting that smelled like bacon. Hey I will give you cash double what the person is paying. Nevada government doesn’t care for rideshare too much.

Rakos likes this.
  16. Avion3333

Avion3333 New Member

Someone(a pax) was beside their friend who is a driver and wanted their friend to get the ride but they kept getting you so they cancelled until they got their friend

Just a theory*****

Moonhouse likes this.
  17. Saltyoldman

Saltyoldman Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I have had someone in my early days order a ride to a bar, when you arrive they cancel. Then re request to the same location. Basically he wanted more time in the bar and wanted to walk out and have his ride waiting for him. Just a selfish act by inconsiderate little turds.

upyouruber and Rakos like this.
  18. reg barclay

reg barclay Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I think it's possible that sometimes the rider app shows a closer car on the map but when they send the request the closer driver doesn't accept it. The ping is then bumped along to a driver further away who accepts it but the pax cancels because it's too far away for their liking.

Uber Crack and Rakos like this.
  19. UberStein

UberStein New Member

I had a woman cancel on me three times. On the fourth ping that I accepted from her after waiting a couple of minutes I proceeded to her pickup location. She apologized and said that she was not ready and was trying to get a driver that had a longer ETA. I was two minutes away. She was used to waiting about ten or fifteen minutes.

20. touberornottouber

Driving:
    UberX
    The mob must own one of the cab companies there...

Saltyoldman and Rakos like this.