• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

My Uber Income - GST, Tax, BAS, Logbook, Expenses and Income Spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricdam

I have been working over the past year on an easy and comprehensive control for my Uber income and decided to share it with you guys, my fellow Uber drivers. It can be very helpful specially for new drivers or who has not created it's own control yet.

This is an Excel spreadsheet so you need Microsoft Excel to run it. It gives you on real time, information about GST, tax, BAS, logbook, expenses, income and averages. You can also add another income.

You can see and download the spreadsheet itself here(LINK REMOVED, NEW VERSION TO COME ON LATE MAY 2017), and an example spreadsheet here (LINK REMOVED, NEW VERSION TO COME ON LATE MAY 2017).

Below you can see some screenshots and how it would look over a year:

Summary:

Income:

Expenses:

Logbook:

Charts:

Last edited:

nas_uber

thanks for sharing this as it has been really helpful. one question i have is for the logbook section. if i start driving mid way through the financial year there isn't an ability to log the private mileage prior to starting uber. as when your calculating business use of the vehicle don't you have to factor these personal km's in for the whole year not just from when you started uber?

ricdam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey mate. No, your mileage start when you start driving for Uber. Cheers

nas_uber

yeah..i've been driving for about a month and a half so am still getting my head around things. i thought you would have to as your rego/insurance is paid for the year so to calculate the correct % you can claim you would then need to factor those km's in.

UberDriverAU

thanks for sharing this as it has been really helpful. one question i have is for the logbook section. if i start driving mid way through the financial year there isn't an ability to log the private mileage prior to starting uber. as when your calculating business use of the vehicle don't you have to factor these personal km's in for the whole year not just from when you started uber?
You'd need to know your odometer reading at the start of the financial year. Then perhaps log 1 km of "business use" at the start of the financial year?

UberDriverAU

I think the spreadsheet would be improved by adding a starting odometer reading. As it is, it assumes your first km is a business km which won't necessarily be the case. Overall though, great work ricdam! :cool:

Last edited:

ricdam

I think the spreadsheet would be improved by adding a starting odometer reading. As it is, it assumes your first km is a business km which won't necessarily be the case. Overall though, great work ricdam! :cool:
Hey mate. Couldn't understand your suggestion.

You will insert the mileage of the car every time you go Ubering.

UberDriverAU

You will insert the mileage of the car every time you go Ubering.
Let's say on the 1st of July in 2016 I did a road trip and clocked up 300 km of personal usage. On the 2nd of July 2016 I then did 300 km of driving for Uber. From what I can tell, your spreadsheet would count this as 100% business usage, but it's really only 50% business usage. Without the ability to record what the odometer reading was on the 1st of July, your spreadsheet might overstate the business usage. It will substantially overstate it where someone started Ubering well into the financial year.

ricdam

Hey mate. You do not insert how many kilometres you did. You insert what was your mileage (how many kilometres your car had at that time) when you start and finish a shift.

For example, my car has today 70,000kms, than I drove 100kms Ubering. My odometer will show 70,100kms.

UberDriverAU

Hey mate. You do not insert how many kilometres you did. You insert what was your mileage (how many kilometres your car had at that time) when you start and finish a shift.

For example, my car has today 70,000kms, than I drove 100kms Ubering. My odometer will show 70,100kms.
I didn't say insert how many kilometers you did. Let's say you the following occurs:

1. At 1 am on the 1st of July 2016 the odometer reading was 70,000.
  2. On the 1st of July 2016 you travelled 300 km for personal usage.
  3. At 1 am on the 2nd of July 2016 the odometer reading was 70,300.
  4. At 10 am on the 2nd of July 2016 you start an Uber shift, and record "ODOMETER START" as 70,300.
  5. At 8 pm on the 2nd of July 2016 you end your shift, and record "ODOMETER FINISH" as 70,600.
The business usage as at 8 pm on the 2nd of July 2016 will be 50%, because so far 300 km was personal usage, and 300 km was business usage. The spreadsheet though, shows 100% because it ignored the first 300 kms that my car travelled that financial year:
Logbook.png

ricdam

Hey UberDriverAU,

Thanks for explaining, I understand what you mean now.

ATO doesn't expect you to remember what was your mileage on the start of financial year if you at that time were not using your car for business purposes. The ATO says that in the first year, a 12 weeks period can represent your travel for the whole year. You can find more info here.

That means you don't need to put your mileage for 1st of July if you were not using for business purposes at that time. You first mileage in the logbook will be your first day Ubering.

ricdam

Love your work, Ricdam. Very similar to mine however yours has many great ideas that I will look to include.
Cheers. Around April I will release the version 2 of this spreadsheet. It has many improvements and bugs fixed.

Stay tuned.

Chestybond

Good stuff Rid But it leaves me with one nagging question...why doesn't uber provide this as a service to its drivers? They could do a half day training session on this for all new drivers & the software could be "hosted" by them so drivers log in to update daily/weekly...I mean, what do they charge us now, a 20-25% clip to deliver their awesome service...

tundra

Great spreadsheet, but I'm cannot seem to get the Qtr summaries to populate in "expenses" and "logbook"?
Thanks again for this.

Hi ricdam, nice work, was wondering if you have figured out how much of $1 you earn from uber ends up in your pocket after all expenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.