• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

My Uber driver Story

HD Driver Cluster

Hello there, after driving for Uber for 3 days I have a lot of considerations that I’d like to share with you that I consider very valuable.

First of all a little of my background. I’m a Systems Engineer, with more than 15 years of experience working directly in Web and Mobile Apps Development, leading teams of more than 10 developers. I’m currently VP of IT & Development for a Telecom company in Coral Gables, FL.

I’m head of a 4-member family, 2 daughters (4 and 1.4 years) and wife. The reason I decided to test Uber as a driver was because I sit on my coach every single night after putting my daughters into bed (around 9pm) and just stay there until around 12-1am when I go to bed. So, why not going out driving for Uber on these hours and make good extra money?

The objective of this email is to share my concerns about a so well known, and famous service Uber. I strongly believe on the concept, and I think its brilliant! But worries me A LOT some of the operational fails I’ve seen so far. To illustrate even more I’m going to elaborate on each one of them:

1) Sign up process: It took me 8 days to be “ready” to start driving. This not good, I perfectly understand the reasons. But what about doing a more simple check that could take minutes via an API, let the partner start making money for Uber and then continue the deeper check. If something comes up on the deeper check, you just suspend the account.

2) XL / Type of car sign up: I have a 2001 4Runner (which is obviously an XL vehicle). The sign up process never asked about the XL option (I guessed that with Make, and Model they would figure that out….NOT). I assumed that when riders requesting they will see me as XL…wrong. I learned on Monday after coming to work with a co-worker that I needed to open a ticket letting Uber support know to change my car to a XL. Even worse, I have 2 4Runners on my app. One for Uber X an the other one for Uber XL. Shouldn’t be simpler to determine if a car is XL or not by Database Make and Model? And also would be more smart to turn XL on/off on the app instead of having two profiles? I have a second vehicle (a Nissan Rogue). So I have 4 profiles on my Uber partner app!!! 1.- 4Runner X, 2.- 4Runner XL, 3.- Rogue X, 4.- Rogue XL its none sense… also if I would not had my co-worker I would be driving a 4Runner and been paid for a regular sedan.

3) Driver Payments: This is just wrong…. When I go to my dashboard on the web page it says trips 18 fares $149.85. When I got to payment statements says $103.21…. where did the difference go? So I figured out by my own, that on the Dashboard appears the whole number, even what is entitled to Uber. Wouldn’t be smatter to show to drivers only what is entitled to them? If they want to see the whole amount they could but not the other way around.

4) Mistakes: Picking up the wrong person. I know this is common because a lot of people have told me. I also know that Uber makes it clear to ask for the name of the requester… but we are all humans and make mistakes. I did that mistake and 3 persons hopped into my car and they were not the ones that I accepted. So multiples things happened

a. I cancelled the original request, and told not to charge the rider since it wasn’t their fault.

b. Now I have 3 people on my car that I don’t have the request, so im driving and not getting paid. Is not the people in my car’s fault. Should I have take them off my car? No that is too rude, right?

At the end I did a free ride. Nonesense…..

Wouldn’t me more smart to have a feature on the app so riders request you directly for these cases?

5) Mistakes: I hit the “end trip” button accidentally. So what happened girl steps on my car at Miami Airport Sunday 12:40am tired. And trying to figure out what to do here. She ended telling e to go and she would pay me in cash, she was tired.

Wouldn’t be smarter to have a feature on the app to help dealing with these errors?

6) Ratings: Wrong way to measure drivers / riders: on Uber Ratings are everything… so imagine these to mistakes mentioned before…. They generate bad ratings for me… even when those two cases weren’t directly related to how I serviced riders. Also, think about this, two rides, same trajectory, same time, same car, same day of the week, same time, same driver….. two different riders…. I bet their opinion would differ a lot in terms of how that driver should be rated. Ratings are directly attached to opinions. Is not fare that my job as a driver should be punished by a totally normal opinion from two different people. I think this should be changed.

7) See which rider gave you which rating: It’s a learning process… how should I know if I did my job OK if I don’t know who gave me which rating? Also these rating should be disputable for obvious reasons mentioned before.

8) Live Contact Support over the phone: Some times on the field it more than necessary having a hotline to call somebody these questions. Even when off line… all these issues previously mentioned were all handled via support tickets. Great that Uber is using zendesk, but I could not even log into their zendesk portal so see a status of my opened tickets.

One again, I thinks these are easy and quick things to solve, I’m more than welcome to work with Uber on these items. I’m also gonna keep driving for Uber since I believe this is a well managed company and they are constantly working to improve our experience.

I’d like to see the reaction. I’m posting this as a support ticket, on their Facebook page and a forum I found on the internet.

marketmark

1. 8 days is reasonable. What if they did a quick check then you had an "incident" while they were digging deeper. They should make sure you are not a child molester before you give your first ride...

2. I like the x/XL as separate vehicles personally. A slider tab or something in the app would be a different solution, but not necessarily better...

3. I like seeing the payments made to uber vs. the money I keep. Makes it easier to see the actual percentage they keep.

4. Don't pick up the wrong person and don't start the trip until you know the right person is in the car. You'll figure this out as you go along, but !!!! NEVER GIVE A TRIP OFF THE APP !!! <-- Very important!
a. You won't get paid
b. You have NO insurance!
c. You can get an expensive ticket (see other posts about police stings)
d. No help from uber if there is an issue
d. YOU DON'T GET PAID!

5. I agree. there should be a way to "un-end" or resume the trip. My work around is to never end the trip until everyone and their bags/stuff are out and walking away from me...

6. Ratings are what they are. It all kind of balances out and isn't worth worrying about in my opinion. Just keep above a 4.6 and forget about them.

7. I would like this feature but there are good reasons why this will never happen. Some transparency while preserving anonymity would be nice though...

8. Too expensive!

Good luck and most of this stuff will sort itself out once you have a few more rides under your belt...

PS. Don't quit your day job :smiles:

Huberis

1. 8 days is reasonable. What if they did a quick check then you had an "incident" while they were digging deeper. They should make sure you are not a child molester before you give your first ride...

2. I like the x/XL as separate vehicles personally. A slider tab or something in the app would be a different solution, but not necessarily better...

3. I like seeing the payments made to uber vs. the money I keep. Makes it easier to see the actual percentage they keep.

4. Don't pick up the wrong person and don't start the trip until you know the right person is in the car. You'll figure this out as you go along, but !!!! NEVER GIVE A TRIP OFF THE APP !!! <-- Very important!
a. You won't get paid
b. You have NO insurance!
c. You can get an expensive ticket (see other posts about police stings)
d. No help from uber if there is an issue
d. YOU DON'T GET PAID!

5. I agree. there should be a way to "un-end" or resume the trip. My work around is to never end the trip until everyone and their bags/stuff are out and walking away from me...

6. Ratings are what they are. It all kind of balances out and isn't worth worrying about in my opinion. Just keep above a 4.6 and forget about them.

7. I would like this feature but there are good reasons why this will never happen. Some transparency while preserving anonymity would be nice though...

8. Too expensive!

Good luck and most of this stuff will sort itself out once you have a few more rides under your belt...

PS. Don't quit your day job :smiles:
What he said only with the added caveat that even with insurance..... you may not have insurance.

RockinEZ

HD Driver Cluster:
Most drivers will agree with all your points.
We have all ended a trip early, or forgot to start a trip at one time or another.
Remember your deductible while being insured by Uber (after accepting a ping to PAX drop-off) is $1000
Like the man said "Keep your day job". :cool:

Last edited:

Huberis

HD Driver Cluster How many people can you haul in your 4runner? My sister had one. I remember it as fairly large but it didn't haul that many people. If that thing is a 2001, that makes it 14 years old and you are in Miami. I would have guess in Miami a car couldn't even be ten years old and be usable for rideshare. I know some parts of Florida are a bit tough. Regardless, you have one year of using that car at best.

So, you have the car, it is getting old, why not drive rideshare with it. XL would be great: How many seat belts do you have back there? It is passenger capacity not the sixe of the vehicle that counts.

Tim In Cleveland

You can remedy a trip ended early. Use the help feature before you submit the rating (or go find the trip in trip history when you are not signed into the app; select the trip then find the help button) Select "I had an issue with a fare" then I didn't begin or end the trip on time. Now you can input the real beginning address and the real end one. After you submit, a CSR will compute the fare and pay you for the whole trip.

limepro

One thing that is hard to believe is the three people that jumped in your car and you ended up giving a free ride, it is absolutely their fault. The make, model and plate number show on there app. I'm sure if they ordered a ride they didn't also get your type of car, they probably didn't order a car and just jumped in the first uber they saw and hoped the driver was new.

Huberis

One thing that is hard to believe is the three people that jumped in your car and you ended up giving a free ride, it is absolutely their fault. The make, model and plate number show on there app. I'm sure if they ordered a ride they didn't also get your type of car, they probably didn't order a car and just jumped in the first uber they saw and hoped the driver was new.
In the end, as the driver, he is the one responsible. It is highly possible they were trying to take advantage of him new driver or not. Was fault is it? Who cares? He is the one responsible for who gets in and out of the car. Their is a difference.

limepro

In the end, as the driver, he is the one responsible. It is highly possible they were trying to take advantage of him new driver or not. Was fault is it? Who cares? He is the one responsible for who gets in and out of the car. Their is a difference.
I understand he is at fault too but he takes the pax side when they knew full well that he wasn't their uber driver.

CityGirl

After 3 days you still have a lot to learn about the system, and these "problems" do have answers you have just not discovered yet. So relax and be patient and give it time. Particularly with the pay issue, you can see the entire breakdown by viewing your check for the next period on partners.uber.com. That option is at the top, above your rating and trips...just click on where it says May xx Pay Statement.

Most important take away: Do not drive anyone when the app is not showing an active ride, there would be no insurance coverage on that ride if something were to happen.

If the trip was already started with the wrong passenger in the car and you didn't discover it right away, it makes sense to pull over and end the trip and do not charge the requester. However, you have options! The existing passengers should either exit, or they could re-request. Since you are the closest driver, they will theoretically ping you (sometimes they get someone else, just have them cancel and do it again until the request comes to you). Don't take anyone for free unless you consider this a volunteer or charitable gig.

Same thing with the mistaken end trip...have her re-request. Driving around for cash, again, there is no insurance coverage. Do not do rides for cash, you could get arrested for bandit cab at worst and fired by Uber at best. :wink: