1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

My Uber Accident (2015)

Discussion in 'Los Angeles & Orange County' started by UberLaLa, Sep 10, 2015.

1. UberLaLa

UberLaLa

I pick up my passengers (3 in their early 30's) around 6pm on a Saturday night - Pasadena. We are tooling along next to the 210 Freeway (Maple st. - one way street) minding our own business as the App holder sits in the front, his gf and his buddy in the back. Two in the back are outing the guy sitting next to me as an off-duty cop. Couple of jokes about such, he was way cool and absorbed it all - proceeding cleanly through my green light at the intersection and this older Ford pickup decides to go all Indy 500 and take off from where he was stopped at his red.

The two in the back yell, STOP! I accelerate hard and swerve hard right. The truck just clips my left rear bumper and jolts us pretty good. He continues through the intersection and I pull to the right side of the road. As I am doing so I see the truck in my rearview not slowing down. I mumble, Oh man he's gonna run. Once I come to a complete stop both the off-duty and myself turn around and ask the two in the back, "You guys okay." they were fine....lickety split cop/Rider jumps out of my car and trots back to see where the truck went. I get out, and as I do the traffic that the truck was sitting with at the stop light is now turning and passing me; a car slows as it's passing me and the passenger rolls down his window and the driver yells out, He was on his damn phone! about the the guy that hit me.

I walk over to the corner and see my Rider talking with the driver of the truck, who in fact did pull over. As I get closer it seems to me like the driver of the truck might be drunk or high on something (meds maybe, I don't know). He starts saying how he was confused and thought the light had turned green, then he saw me in the intersection and realized it was still red. I look at my cop/rider and try to read if he's picking up what I am guessing (DUI?). I call 911 and they say they will send out a police car. I swap driver's licenses with the other guy and not less than 30 seconds later what seemed like a dozen sirens are screaming our way. My rider looks at me and says, Man you guys have fast response time here. I was like, wow I guess we do. Then 4 cop cars, 2 EMT trucks, 2 fire trucks and couple more cop cars go flying right by us. lol

Off to the side I ask my rider/cop guy, Does he seem under the influence to you? To which he says, I thought that when I first came up, especially since he popped a cough drop in his mouth. But I think he's just shook up and his eyes tell me he is not on anything. So, I take all my rider's contact information and cancelled their trip and tell them I will contact Uber and tell them to not charge them for the less than a mile we had travelled and they should call another Uber.

Once I got home that night I began the long journey of reporting this to Uber. Quite a few forms and diagrams I had to complete on-line (2-3 hours). Then a few days later I get a call from the Uber lawyer. We see you were not at fault, so if the other driver's insurance does not cover this, for whatever reason, Uber insurance will. If you choose to handle this with the Uber insurance I will need you to send me proof that you had your own personal full coverage insurance at the time of the accident, and there is a one thousand dollar deductable. I was like, WHAT!? Trust me I made sure that not only did the other guy's insurance cover the over $6k in damages, but my rental car costs while mine was in the body shop for two weeks, as well.

I have never picked up a rider, in over 2,000 trips, twice. But, ironically, I picked up the off-duty cop's girlfriend a couple of months later and took her to his house where I first picked them up on the night of the accident. She told me he said later over pizza, good thing that Uber driver didn't listen to you guys when you yelled STOP! or that truck would have hit us dead center.

My lesson learned. Do everything possible by the book. Because, no matter how well we drive out there, there is always some other driver that is going to do something stupid and get us into their mess. And I lost two weeks of Ubering, because you can't Uber in a rental.

Be safe and have fun! : )

2. uber pro

uber pro

Driving:
    UberX
    I like your posts. Well written. Keep'm comin more often. Its boring during the day

observer likes this.
  3. Not Me

Not Me

Driving:
    UberPLUS
    For those drivers that do not have rideshare insurance, if you give your insurance information to Uber after an accident; Uber will contact your insurance company. Your insurancer will drop you like a hot potato and you will not have insurance covering you for the accident since you "lied" to the insurance company about doing rideshare.

Next, Uber will drop you for not having insurance. So, you will end up with a damaged vehicle, no insurance, and no way to make money with Uber unless you get a new insurance and pay a lot more. The new insurance company will rape you for having lied and because your old insurer dropped you.

So, get rideshare insurance now, or if you get involved in an accident, take care of the damages yourself. Either way, it will cost you money.

4. So does ubers lawyers contact your personal insurance? If in fault or not? Did they to yours?? I can see how tbjs can be a loop whole not to cover accidents damages if you don't have ridesharing insurance, even if not your fault... Or even 50/50 accidents which most cases are, he said she said situations, than your personal insurance forsure will know. Honestly this is my biggest fear driving for uber.

ptdriver x likes this.
  5. UberLaLa

UberLaLa

If you are logged in on your Driver App in any way shape or form (waiting for a ping, driving to pick up a Rider, driving a Rider) you are on the Uber Insurance. However, you will have a $1,000 deductible if you need to make the claim with that insurance for any comprehensive coverage of your vehicle. They will pay 100% of the liability, no matter who's fault - they have to. Never give your personal insurance (unless it's RideShare Insurance as "Not Me" mentioned above) to anyone for anything to do with anything that occurs while you are 'on the clock' with Uber. PRINT OUT UBER ACCORD document and put that in your glove box - if you have an accident of any sort while on the Uber clock, only provide that POI (proof of insurance). That is all you need if you are on the clock. Just be aware that to whatever percent you are at fault, you will need to cover the first $1k on your vehicle. I was 0% at fault so I ended up paying nothing and Uber has my POI on my profile. I did not need to give it to their attorney, because I did not make a claim on Uber's insurance.

Peace

P.S. This accident happened a few weeks after I started driving Uber - it definitely started to take the shine off when I realized I was 0% at fault, yet Uber would make me pay $1k deductible. Pretty certain that is to keep their rather costly premium down and profits up, but at who's expense?

6. Not Me

Not Me

Driving:
    UberPLUS
    Uber covers their ass by not covering you, if you did not have full insurance.
    If you get into an accident and report it to Uber, Uber will contact your insurance, as shown by lalalandlalaland.
    So, here is the scenario in case of an accident:
    1. If you're at fault, and you provide full coverage to Uber. Uber will contact your provider and try to get your insurer to pay for all damages. Yours and the other parties. Now, why would you pay Uber $1,000 deductible, since that's what you probably pay, or less, to your own insurance.
    2. If you're not at fault, same as above, except Uber will try to get the other party insurer to cover you. You will pay $1,000 deductible to Uber, even though the other insurer has no such deductible since you were not at fault. Sneaky way for Uber to make $1,000.
    3. Any of the above, but your insurer drops you and does not accept coverage because you did not tell them you were driving for Uber. ie. You're F***ed.

Now, how is them apples? Still think you're making money driving for Uber? If you are great, otherwise reconsider and get a new job that really pays you, instead of you paying for a job.

7. Sacto Burbs

Sacto Burbs

Driving:
    UberX
    So the other guys insurance determined he was 100% at fault? Lucky you. For me the at fault insurance guys invented a bogus that I was 20% at fault and I'm having to go to small claims court or eat $800.

8. San Diego Steve

San Diego Steve

Driving:
    UberX
    You sound like an insurance broker, who do you work for? Pretty obvious that you have an agenda here. You are inferring that we all lie about ubering, what a stupid comment.

9. I mentioned to a pax today that I just switched to Farmers after he was telling me about an accident he was involved in. Took him to the dealer to get the handle for his jack to change the tire that was flat after the accident. $50 bucks! Dam.

Anyway, he said , "So that's why I had to answer a bunch of questions about ride sharing." I said yeah its become a big deal now.

Someone have a link to this UBER ACCORD document ?

10. UberLaLa

UberLaLa

Great question Sacto, I actually had to dig through my Uber Partner account and find it...lol. It is an Accord, but they call it an "Addendum" - which I guess means it is an addendum to our personal insurance, maybe? Either way go to your Partner Profile and at the bottom of the page are 'Contracts' mine shows 4 different links - the CA Addendum downloads the Uber Rider Insurance for account. Ciao!

11. jaimeritchie

jaimeritchie

Driving:
    UberX
    any finacially reasonable suggestions on companies who cover ridesharers? i have progressive but i was afraid to ask them cuz i dont want to be red flagged but i think about this exact issue every day.

12. Sacto Burbs

Sacto Burbs

Driving:
    UberX
    There are only two. Farmers, where you pay for all the miles, but covers and ride-hailing app. MetroMile, which deducts the miles where you are actually matched on Uber Only. No coverage for any other ride-hail like Lyft or Sidecar.

13. jaimeritchie

jaimeritchie

Driving:
    UberX
    do you use one which one u suggest? thank u for info

14. I figured why confused things with the INS you have now by adding Metro. So just bundled the house too with two other vehicles. I really don't pay that much more, maybe 20 a month. But I have better coverage on the house too. My only gripe is that I was on a four month pay plan of six. It was nice having two months off not having to pay the car INS.

15. jaimeritchie

jaimeritchie

Driving:
    UberX
    thank you :)

16. Sacto Burbs

Sacto Burbs

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm doing MetroMile. You pay by the month so you can try it out. Side benefit is that you have to put a GPS tracker in your car (they send it free) which logs all your miles and location so you get pretty trip maps like you do on Uber. Some may not like it. I do. Makes you really pay close attention to your personal miles.

e.g. I always thought a trip to San Francisco cost me "gas only" or about $30. Wrong. $10 was insurance, but it was a hidden cost.

17. jaimeritchie

jaimeritchie

Driving:
    UberX
    i tried going on there site but it just says webpage cant load. weird. all other sites work so somethungs up with their site i think :/

kinicky21 likes this.
  18. Sacto Burbs

Sacto Burbs

Driving:
    UberX
  19. LA#1x3

LA#1x3

Driving:
    UberX
    Very Intresting story nice read. I'm glad u and ur pax were ok. Uber on

20. LA#1x3

LA#1x3

Driving:
    UberX
    So I just wana know what u said about uber calling our own insurance are u 1000% that's how it works or u Hurd from someone etc... Sry I just wana be sure thanks