My Thoughts on the Sarasota Uber Scene.

johnathon

(DISCLAIMER) I USE DIRTY WORDS SO IF YOU GET OFFENDED EASY STOP READING.

first I'll tell you a little bit about myself. I grew up in Sarasota it will always be home for me. I have been an Uber Partner now for a year and a half driving mostly on the weekends only. I drive and XL (Expedition) I manage to make decent money and as some of you other Giant Suv drivers know fuel is the biggest cost for your drives. some of the things that I have learned so far may help us all in the long run.

UBER loves to recruit new drivers I mean they love to get a new person to drive for them.
and if you want to see why just look at any of your pay statement and see just how much uber makes off of you for having access to the app. so more drivers equal more uber "fees" for them. SO DRIVERS WHO CARES IF UBER SAYS THEY WILL PAY YOU TO RECRUIT.......You are only flooding and area that has enough drivers.
so if you do recruit for them make sure that new @@@@er is gonna uber some place like Canada and not in your backyard.

Lets be honest, Uber is not going to make you rich, You should treat Uber like spare income because lets face it your earnings will not be regular so don't count on them to solve your money problems. With that in mind it is possible to turn a profit.

SURGES!!! HOLY SHIT ITS SURGING 1.5 DOWNTOWN I NEED TO @@@@ING SPEED TO GET THERE AND MAKE ALL THE DOLLARS!!!! Yea don't chase a surge all you are doing at that point is killing the surge. Surges happen because people are requesting and not enough cars are in the area so Ubers Algorithm will boost the price to 1.5 to lure a driver into the area. Chances are you will not get a request because all the other new uber drivers with Surge price fever will be heading there too with greedy surge in hand. Don' t chase a surge. if you are going that way anyway go offline and drive into the area......less cars online mean the surge may increase. Bottom Line don't chase surges.

Uber Passengers the whole reason we Uber in the first place. The reason we hit the go online button on our apps. People like Uber and they love the ease of getting a ride home from a crowded street bar or club. You will meet some awesome people that you can have a great conversation with and learn a few new jokes. and then the flip side of the coin people use uber too....we have all met them we have all wondered if this is the night we make the news for smacking a drunk shit and dumping them out of the car. After 2:00 am you are pretty much a babysitter with a car. You are probably the only sober person in your car and that being said it's your job to get them home safe, people are on vacation or just getting out of the house and want to have a good time. Let them enjoy the ride you can have fun with it. Most people even when drunk are cool. Some people AND I'M TALKING TO YOU MR AND MRS YOUNG COUPLE WHO DECIDE THEY WANNA MATE IN MY BACKSEAT. HELL NAW TO THE NAW NAW. people will try some crazy things in your car. I don't mind some nudity I want you to have fun. but keep your genitals in check. When I notice its about to get real I will then inform them about my NO DNA ON THE LEATHER Policy. They laugh I laugh they put there genitals away and we all sing a happy song. Bottom line is Take care of your passengers but they need to respect you and your vehicle.

Tips. Uber has no tipping option on the app. Passenger do tip Sometimes some are just ignorant and cheap. Some nights I do pretty good with tips some nights not so good some nights. This is UBERS Fault for telling people the tip was included in the fare. But due to recent events uber had to admit that it was not true. Some people will tip and some wont. Uber says we can put a tip sign up. I don't think I will do that but some of you will.

Remember that we are all independent contractors to Uber and they will continue to treat us as such. But we can work together and make it better for all of us. I belong to a group of Sarasota Uber Drivers who work together and pass on great information to each other throughout the night. If your interested in getting to know us and maybe join our merry little band of Uber Monkey's send me a message.

Great rant I whole heartedly believe in what you are saying I have been driving here in the Sarasota and Bradenton area for the past year and it used to be great I have a full time job so this is just as you said spare @@@@ around money. Also I do enjoy this gig it is a great way to network and meet new and interesting people as well as the bad ones. Shrug it off and move on because 90 percent of who you will meet are awesome individuals who just want to get around safely. Thanks for info I wish more people would look and learn on these sites.

UofMDriver

I live in Michigan and Uber wouldn't let me separate the platforms here. So I have to do UberX rides too. Apparently Uber lets you separate the platforms in Florida?

johnathon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No were grouped the same here as well.

The advantage there aren't as many xl uber in sarasota.

DrivingStPete

Awesome Insight! Especially on the surge for this area. I learned that I was often the car that made the surge go away. So, yeah I completely agree, don't chase it and if you are going that way, turn off the app til you get there.

I would add that the AMI, Brandenton Beach, Long Boat area sucks. Chances are they are only travelling those two or three miles . So even a surge won't be a benefit. Sure some are coming from Sarasota, East Bradenton and Lakewood Ranch to eat. But imho most pax will be between Long Boat Key and Ana Maria Island.

I was wondering for awhile if this side of the Bay had XL. I have had quite a few pissed off pax because I wouldn't take them because of too much luggage or too many people. But I know there are SUV's and Mini Vans driving, cause I'm often a pax myself.

bugfarts

first I'll tell you a little bit about myself. I grew up in Sarasota it will always be home for me. I have been an Uber Partner now for a year and a half driving mostly on the weekends only. I drive and XL (Expedition) I manage to make decent money and as some of you other Giant Suv drivers know fuel is the biggest cost for your drives. some of the things that I have learned so far may help us all in the long run.

UBER loves to recruit new drivers I mean they love to get a new person to drive for them.
and if you want to see why just look at any of your pay statement and see just how much uber makes off of you for having access to the app. so more drivers equal more uber "fees" for them. SO DRIVERS WHO CARES IF UBER SAYS THEY WILL PAY YOU TO RECRUIT.......You are only flooding and area that has enough drivers.
so if you do recruit for them make sure that new &%[email protected]!*er is gonna uber some place like Canada and not in your backyard.

Lets be honest, Uber is not going to make you rich, You should treat Uber like spare income because lets face it your earnings will not be regular so don't count on them to solve your money problems. With that in mind it is possible to turn a profit.

SURGES!!! HOLY SHIT ITS SURGING 1.5 DOWNTOWN I NEED TO &%[email protected]!*ING SPEED TO GET THERE AND MAKE ALL THE DOLLARS!!!! Yea don't chase a surge all you are doing at that point is killing the surge. Surges happen because people are requesting and not enough cars are in the area so Ubers Algorithm will boost the price to 1.5 to lure a driver into the area. Chances are you will not get a request because all the other new uber drivers with Surge price fever will be heading there too with greedy surge in hand. Don' t chase a surge. if you are going that way anyway go offline and drive into the area......less cars online mean the surge may increase. Bottom Line don't chase surges.

Uber Passengers the whole reason we Uber in the first place. The reason we hit the go online button on our apps. People like Uber and they love the ease of getting a ride home from a crowded street bar or club. You will meet some awesome people that you can have a great conversation with and learn a few new jokes. and then the flip side of the coin people use uber too....we have all met them we have all wondered if this is the night we make the news for smacking a drunk shit and dumping them out of the car. After 2:00 am you are pretty much a babysitter with a car. You are probably the only sober person in your car and that being said it's your job to get them home safe, people are on vacation or just getting out of the house and want to have a good time. Let them enjoy the ride you can have fun with it. Most people even when drunk are cool. Some people AND I'M TALKING TO YOU MR AND MRS YOUNG COUPLE WHO DECIDE THEY WANNA MATE IN MY BACKSEAT. HELL NAW TO THE NAW NAW. people will try some crazy things in your car. I don't mind some nudity I want you to have fun. but keep your genitals in check. When I notice its about to get real I will then inform them about my NO DNA ON THE LEATHER Policy. They laugh I laugh they put there genitals away and we all sing a happy song. Bottom line is Take care of your passengers but they need to respect you and your vehicle.

Tips. Uber has no tipping option on the app. Passenger do tip Sometimes some are just ignorant and cheap. Some nights I do pretty good with tips some nights not so good some nights. This is UBERS Fault for telling people the tip was included in the fare. But due to recent events uber had to admit that it was not true. Some people will tip and some wont. Uber says we can put a tip sign up. I don't think I will do that but some of you will.

Remember that we are all independent contractors to Uber and they will continue to treat us as such. But we can work together and make it better for all of us. I belong to a group of Sarasota Uber Drivers who work together and pass on great information to each other throughout the night. If your interested in getting to know us and maybe join our merry little band of Uber Monkey's send me a message.

MichaelCarvajal

so if you do recruit for them make sure that new &%[email protected]!*er is gonna uber some place like Canada and not in your backyard.

SURGES!!! HOLY SHIT ITS SURGING 1.5 DOWNTOWN I NEED TO &%[email protected]!*ING SPEED TO GET THERE AND MAKE ALL THE DOLLARS!!!! Yea don't chase a surge all you are doing at that point is killing the surge. Surges happen because people are requesting and not enough cars are in the area so Ubers Algorithm will boost the price to 1.5 to lure a driver into the area. Chances are you will not get a request because all the other new uber drivers with Surge price fever will be heading there too with greedy surge in hand. Don' t chase a surge. if you are going that way anyway go offline and drive into the area......less cars online mean the surge may increase. Bottom Line don't chase surges.

You are just right, I been driving for over a year now in Sarasota and is exactly as you mention, by the way I never hear about this forum before !!

Kennedy C

I've been driving in B'ton/SRQ since Uber arrived in Dec '14. Pro's - *its flexibility works perfect with my current "real" job. *Pax are usually cool, interesting and/or entertaining. Or at least not dicks. *Money is fine but, as mentioned above, you're not gonna make a living at it.

Con's - *constant cleaning/washing of car. *Annoying pax (1 star those donks). *When new drivers flood the market and the pings become inconsistent for awhile. But it goes back to "normal" when all the new drivers realize they're not going to make the kind of money the Uber commercials promise, they don't like dealing with the public, or as one former driver said to me, "I was putting too many miles on my car." lolz

I've done ~2000 trips in my 2.5 years doing this. I drive a car that gets good MPG. I've never had a serious situation with a pax, nor have I ever worried for my own safety. (and btw, I don't carry a gun. If you feel the need to carry a gun, you should not be driving for any service.)

While I've certainly had my share of disappointments with Uber as a company (mostly the dropping mileage pay and the boorish idiocy of the CEO) it's still worth it to me at .95 a mile.

Kennedy C

Bradenton/Sarasota pay cut....

[correction: there has been no pay cut. I just misread the new way ride payouts are displayed. Apologies.]

Last edited:

bugout

Bradenton/Sarasota pay cut....

when you signed that new agreement a couple weeks ago, you agreed to a pay cut down to .79 per mile (down from .95).
I'm done. After 2.5 years and a 4.89 rating. F**k it, there's apparently no shortage of drivers, so down go the wages. Good luck out there drivers. How long can they go until you say 'enough'?

That's what we earn.. which is the same as it was before after uber's cut..

2Cents

thanks for the heads up, I actually realized my mistake over the weekend. the rates didn't change just the way they report out on the app. My bad..
The reason why fübr shows you what You make on the report is because they are taking more than 25-28% of the fare. That's the Real reason.

really not

LOVE THE RANT. Now I know why when I would chase a surge it goes away when I get near it.... No more chasing the surge. Thanks...

Signal Twenty

...Now I know why when I would chase a surge it goes away when I get near it.... No more chasing the surge. Thanks...
I'm still fairly new to Uber...and I was born at night - just not last night.

You have been a member of this forum for about 3 years now, and I'm sure driving for longer than that.

So my question is: you just noticed this about surge? After all this time?

BobbySRQ

Uber has a lot of nerve to raise rates in Sarasota yet tell us "driver pay will remain unaffected". So much for caring about their driver "partners".