My scary encounter with a drunk passenger

Ashoor

On early Friday morning, I picked up an extremely intoxicated passenger. He sat in the front be he was so drunk, his language sounded more like an alien language than English. He was so out of it.

Anyway, the trip was only five minutes in Maple. As we got close to his destination, I noticed it was a Walmart parking lot. I thought he would ask me to turn behind as there was some buildings. But to my shock, he asked me to drop him off near a car in the parking lot. His car!

Right away I drove further and asked him if he was going to drive and if he did, I was going to call the police. He mumbled and assured me he wouldn’t drive. So I gave him two other options: drive him to his destination if it wasn’t too far or have him call someone else come pick it up. He was having none of it and wanted to get out, assuring me he would t drive and that he would call someone to come drive him. He did call someone and in 10 mins, someone did come and pick him up.

I know I did the right decision. This was a disaster waiting to happen. But should I have gone ahead and called police regardless? Remember he was drunk and could have gotten physical if he saw me calling. ITV I could have let him out and took him for his word but still called police. But I m afraid he would drive off by the time police came.

How would you have approached this?

ryan137

i wouldn't do the blockade, he might be crazy enough to ram ya. Just call the cops.

Parking in front of a car in a Walmart parking lot is not a blockade, he could easily reverse out. I would park facing him in the next row over to catch everything on dash cam.

dmoney155

Parking in front of a car in a Walmart parking lot is not a blockade, he could easily reverse out. I would park facing him in the next row over to catch everything on dash cam.
I think bigger question is... if you get select call while you waiting for cops... do you wait or leave? :smiles:

Athos

You did the right thing. Calling the police was unecessary. You waited like a good citizen should. He was stupid drunk but responsible- why create a hassle.

Thank you for your extra effort. Above and beyond. 5 stars.

MUGATS

Honestly. I’d offer to drive him home (if reasonable distance) if he refused, I’d let him out and if he went for his car I’d call 911 and report a seriously intoxicated driver and give his tag to the police and follow behind him with 911 on the line.

I’ve followed a drunk before at a distance