My Lyft passenger experience

nj2bos

TL;DR -- Don't use Lyft as a passenger. Use Uber.

I went to the Sox game on Monday night so I parked in the city near Boston Common and decided to take a Lyft over to Fenway.. had to get the true rider experience. From this I learned two things:

(a) Lyft as a passenger experience is horrible compared to Uber
(b) the ETA problems we see as drivers regarding lowball ETAs for pickups/dropoffs are ALSO a rider problem

I called for a ride that was quickly accepted (under 3 seconds), with an arrival ETA to Fenway Park of 6:38pm. Perfect, just in time to grab my seat and enjoy the game. However the assigned driver who accepted my ping was coincidentally AT Fenway Park and had to drive to me at Boston Common to pick me up. ETA for pickup was 13mins. This was Monday night shortly after 6pm and I saw nothing but U/L cars driving by me on Boylston. I highly doubt that was the closest ride. Anyway, I waited and decided not to cancel.

After 5mins, the driver made little progress and the ride was redispatched. A new driver was assigned who was at South Station.. 3 minutes later, the call was reassigned AGAIN to a third driver at Downtown Crossing. Frustrated, I instantly regretted not just calling an Uber because I figured Lyft would be a disaster.

As the THIRD driver made progress towards me, my ride was redispatched a FOURTH TIME. I got another driver on Boylston who made it to me a few minutes later.

My original pickup ETA was 6:30pm. I was not picked up until 6:44. I arrived at Fenway at 7:06 with traffic. Not only was Lyft's pickup ETA off by 14mins, but I arrived at Fenway 28mins later than the ETA mentioned. Lyft's ETA calculations simply DO NOT account for traffic whatsoever.

The redispatches were absurd. Every time I saw the car come within 2 blocks of me, the ride was redispatched. This happened over and over. I think Lyft is just doing this to bring drivers closer to downtown, then once they get a car where they want it, the ride gets redispatched to bring ANOTHER driver into downtown. This is how Lyft can flood downtown with their cars. Eventually one of them will just pick me up. But in all of it my experience was terrible and I'll be taking Uber as a passenger for life. Never had an issue on Uber after over 50 rides, all in worse traffic than this.

Lyft, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.

Riser

While I agree that Lyft needs to work on the accuracy of its ETAs, but what the heck did you expect ordering a ride by the Boston commons around 6:00pm???

I personally would have rejected your ping once I saw the location. That traffic isn't worth dealing with and yes, the system will do its best to redispatch your ride once it detects the driver is not making heads way. Same thing with Uber. No different. I will never accept a ride from downtown in congested area, going to another congested area without at least 100% prime, and even then, I have to think about it.

Arb Watson

TL;DR -- Don't use Lyft as a passenger. Use Uber.

I went to the Sox game on Monday night so I parked in the city near Boston Common and decided to take a Lyft over to Fenway.. had to get the true rider experience. From this I learned two things:

(a) Lyft as a passenger experience is horrible compared to Uber
(b) the ETA problems we see as drivers regarding lowball ETAs for pickups/dropoffs are ALSO a rider problem

I called for a ride that was quickly accepted (under 3 seconds), with an arrival ETA to Fenway Park of 6:38pm. Perfect, just in time to grab my seat and enjoy the game. However the assigned driver who accepted my ping was coincidentally AT Fenway Park and had to drive to me at Boston Common to pick me up. ETA for pickup was 13mins. This was Monday night shortly after 6pm and I saw nothing but U/L cars driving by me on Boylston. I highly doubt that was the closest ride. Anyway, I waited and decided not to cancel.

After 5mins, the driver made little progress and the ride was redispatched. A new driver was assigned who was at South Station.. 3 minutes later, the call was reassigned AGAIN to a third driver at Downtown Crossing. Frustrated, I instantly regretted not just calling an Uber because I figured Lyft would be a disaster.

As the THIRD driver made progress towards me, my ride was redispatched a FOURTH TIME. I got another driver on Boylston who made it to me a few minutes later.

My original pickup ETA was 6:30pm. I was not picked up until 6:44. I arrived at Fenway at 7:06 with traffic. Not only was Lyft's pickup ETA off by 14mins, but I arrived at Fenway 28mins later than the ETA mentioned. Lyft's ETA calculations simply DO NOT account for traffic whatsoever.

The redispatches were absurd. Every time I saw the car come within 2 blocks of me, the ride was redispatched. This happened over and over. I think Lyft is just doing this to bring drivers closer to downtown, then once they get a car where they want it, the ride gets redispatched to bring ANOTHER driver into downtown. This is how Lyft can flood downtown with their cars. Eventually one of them will just pick me up. But in all of it my experience was terrible and I'll be taking Uber as a passenger for life. Never had an issue on Uber after over 50 rides, all in worse traffic than this.

Lyft, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.
Wow. Cancel right away.

nj2bos

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
While I agree that Lyft needs to work on the accuracy of its ETAs, but what the heck did you expect ordering a ride by the Boston commons around 6:00pm???

I personally would have rejected your ping once I saw the location. That traffic isn't worth dealing with and yes, the system will do its best to redispatch your ride once it detects the driver is not making heads way. Same thing with Uber. No different. I will never accept a ride from downtown in congested area, going to another congested area without at least 100% prime, and even then, I have to think about it.
To be honest the traffic was super light. Only maybe 2-3 cars at each light. Typical for Monday afternoon from what I've seen. The only backed up or somewhat bad traffic in the entire city was on Storrow or Beacon heading towards Fenway at that time. But my main issue is with redispatching. All but one of the drivers were making progress and got to within 2 blocks (essentially around the corner) and the ride got redispatched to a driver further away. There's no need or reason for this-- that driver was close and would've arrived more quickly than the next driver to get the ping.

Arb Watson

To be honest the traffic was super light. Only maybe 2-3 cars at each light. Typical for Monday afternoon from what I've seen. The only backed up or somewhat bad traffic in the entire city was on Storrow or Beacon heading towards Fenway at that time. But my main issue is with redispatching. All but one of the drivers were making progress and got to within 2 blocks (essentially around the corner) and the ride got redispatched to a driver further away. There's no need or reason for this-- that driver was close and would've arrived more quickly than the next driver to get the ping.
Redispatching must happen a lot. I got canceled on a Lux request as soon as I moved. lol. Lyft sucks.

Riser

Yes sometimes Lyft can be too aggressive with redispatching. But honestly same has happened with Uber where I was almost at the location and the trip was moved from me. I guess it's frustrating for both driver and pax.

E30addixt

It's always amazed me how long Lyft pax will wait while there is clearly cars on every corner that are available.

They're so picky they'll ask you to roll up an extra car length but they seem cool with standing there for 15 minutes. Defies logic.

Riser

I have an answer to that which I learned from the meeting yesterday. Lyft uses two matrix to find a driver. A proximity matrix (closet driver) and a time waiting in geo fence matrix, where the driver who has been waiting the longests in that geo fence will get the trip even if he's not the closest. They do that to keep things equal I suppose.

E30addixt

I have an answer to that which I learned from the meeting yesterday. Lyft uses two matrix to find a driver. A proximity matrix (closet driver) and a time waiting in geo fence matrix, where the driver who has been waiting the longests in that geo fence will get the trip even if he's not the closest. They do that to keep things equal I suppose.
Interesting.

That's not fair to the driver who knows where to be when and it's not fair to the pax who is waiting longer then they should (and is the one paying in the first place).

Arb Watson

Interesting.

That's not fair to the driver who knows where to be when and it's not fair to the pax who is waiting longer then they should (and is the one paying in the first place).
It makes perfect sense from their perspective. It keeps all ants semi busy, so they won't quit right away.

E30addixt

Who told you that Lyft or Uber suppose to be fair?
It was in response to "keep things equal" in the quoted post. Equal being "fair".

It makes perfect sense from their perspective. It keeps all ants semi busy, so they won't quit right away.
Right, but it's done to the riders detriment. That's eventually gonna bite them, especially as they raise fares.

Mvlab

It was in response to "keep things equal" in the quoted post. Equal being "fair".

Right, but it's done to the riders detriment. That's eventually gonna bite them, especially as they raise fares.[/QU
Equal is not always fair.