My LYFT driving experience.

Robkaaa

Hey everybody! My name is Robert. I was a LYFT driver in South Florida. I would like to share my experience of being LYFT partner, how I’ve got in some trouble, and how LYFT ditch me.
I’ve drove for LYFT for couple month mostly in Miami area. I’ve been a good driver with nice 4.9 rating. I was taking about 40 rides a week, and I have a lot of nice feedbacks on my record and no complaints. I always tried to provide most convenient service for all of my riders by offering them free snacks, water, and providing smooth ride. I promoted LYFT to all of my friends and supported LYFT in any possible way on my side. I can say for sure that I did a great job for LYFT, and I expected from them at least be supportive for me as its partner.

About a week ago on 4th of February 2015, I’ve received a LYFT Plus request at 4AM. The rider Amie called me right away and told me that she is willing to go to Orlando. (It will take you about 4 hours driving from Miami to Orlando, and it is about 230 miles one way). I did the math 230 miles x $1.35(per mile at LYFT Plus) equals $310 + $0.23 per minute equals $55, so total amount for the ride is about $365 + tolls(about $20 oneway). If you take out 20% LYFT fee and $70 gas expense, it leaves me about $250. I’ve said to my self okay let’s do it. I’ve picked up rider and her family and delivered them to one of the hotels in Orlando. When I complete my trip, I saw amount of $200, and my first thought was that it is some mistake because of the long ride and probably day change in the LYFT system. I’ve reported it right away and drove back home.

By the time I got home, LYFT customer finally answered me. The representative told me that there is a limit for a trip in Miami, and it equals $200, but they do appreciate drivers like me, and they are very happy that they have such a driver that can drive for long distance. I was shocked. After my trip expense and Lyft fee it about $60 for 8 hours driving. I was very upset and sent an angry email to customer support. I've sent them about 3 more email about the trip. I've tried to call them, and guy on the phone told me that I shouldn't worry, and ride was legitimate, and I will be paid. After 7 days LYFT finally responded to me, and the email said the the payment will not be adjusted.
Well... After that incident I'm not gonna drive for Lyft anymore, and I understood why my fellow ex Lyft drivers warned me about. LYFT DOES NOT CARE ABOUT IT'S DRIVERS.
This is pretty much my story. I suggest everyone use different ride share service. You may be happy with LYFT now, but in the end of the day, they will turn on you.

BaitNSwitch

Yeah next time if someone gives you a drop off location that is 4 hours away, you tell them the exact same thing Lyft told you: "Sorry, limit is only $200" Then cancel on them.

MrZimmer

Sorry to hear this, Robert. We are dealing with very large corporations that only put up a scripted facade of caring for its partners. In the end, they will always do what is best for their bottom line. Did the pax at least give you a generous tip through the app?

I do not drive much anymore because of the rate cuts that have been made in a lot of markets, but I have wondered what I would do if a similar proposition was offered to my by a PAX with the current rate structure. I would probably demand a certain amount up front in cash in addition to what will be charged by Uber/Lyft before accepting.

Robkaaa

Yeah next time if someone gives you a drop off location that is 4 hours away, you tell them the exact same thing Lyft told you: "Sorry, limit is only $200" Then cancel on them.
I've decide not to do LYFT, so I guess there will be no more customers.
Sorry to hear this, Robert. We are dealing with very large corporations that only put up a scripted facade of caring for its partners. In the end, they will always do what is best for their bottom line. Did the pax at least give you a generous tip through the app?

I do not drive much anymore because of the rate cuts that have been made in a lot of markets, but I have wondered what I would do if a similar proposition was offered to my by a PAX with the current rate structure. I would probably demand a certain amount up front in cash in addition to what will be charged by Uber/Lyft before accepting.
There was no tip on the ride :smiles: The funny thing is that the rider offered me $400 in cash instead of LYFT trip. I politely declined it.
Yep, stupid move.

MrZimmer

No, not necessarily stupid. You need to have the app recognize the ride till completion in order to be covered by their insurance. If you just did it independently, then if there would have been a a major accident then you would have really been screwed.