• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

My kind of surge

Mr. Yuck

So it was dead last night around two but there was this big surge 4 minutes away and, well, I chased it. Started dropping as I got closer, 6.75, 6.25, 5 by the time I tagged it.

It was an elementary school? So I'm about to go back where I came from and this 9$ surge on a mountain another 7 miles out pops up and wth? I know there are maybe 3 houses up there? So I go offline and haul ass and it keeps going up until it's 15 dollars and I get right under that number and tag it. Crickets of course, but I head back to civilization secure in the knowledge that the next trip will be at least 18 bucks for me.

45 minutes later I turn on Lyft and get one immediately, then of course Uber pings. So I leave Lyft to whine and do the Uber first, Lyft pax is passed out in the yard by the time I get there so I wait and collect.

That surge is still on the mountain so off I go. This time I tag 13 bucks and sprint back to take a baker to work. Back to the mountain. Tag 11 and actually get one 4 minutes away to the airport. Loving it! Surge is still there! Tag it again! Lady left her lights on, car won't start, needs methadone, I have cables and I don't mind jumping her cause I can get back to the Magic Mountain that much faster and she's cute and hugs me and I am the bestest Uber driver ever!

I'm really tired but it's still there so I chew the old school sudafed instead of swallowing it. It's bitter but I don't care. Other drivers are turning down all the wrong roads by now and looking befuddled, a couple are in the right place, rending their clothes and losing their religion, sinners in the hands of an angry god. I do a bootlegger and spray them with gravel, tag 13 again and bye!

7 hours this lasted. There is a cell tower not too far from both the school and the mountain, but that's all I know. I will chase bizarre surges now.

Mr. Yuck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looking at the details, Uber lost money on all of those rides. Twice what they charged was paid to me.

So I'm looking at a surge 16 miles away and I can be there in 16 and bring that back to populated areas and pax don't crap about what I get, they crap about what they get charged. Uber has not made a dime off me for 36 hours now.

So go get that sticky surge stuck on your next ride. Is it worth 3 in gas for 11? Factor in time. It probably is. And of course they tried to stick a +45 on me. You want short trips with the new surge.

Not sure if I want old surge back when I know where to get the short trips.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U San Francisco 19
warsaw San Francisco 1
U Las Vegas 2