My first Uber ride

WCSGuy

I've only been driving for a couple weeks and have a limited basis for comparison, but I took my first Uber ride today and wanted to share my experience. I sold a 2003 Explorer at Carmax today and needed a ride home ~15 miles or so. I sent the request and got a nearly immediate "Your Uber is 6 min away" message. Then that went away and it continued the request for almost 45 more minutes. I'm assuming that someone accepted the request and then cancelled, but I'm not sure.

I was finally picked up by a young woman wearing WAY too much perfume and listening to loud rap music. I was thankful for the ride and kept my mouth shut most of the time. I did mention to her that I also drove and attempted a brief conversation. I found out that today was her first day driving. She did ask me if I preferred a radio station to which I responded that I was good with most anything. She then chose to flip in between Country and Christian stations which would have been the only ones that I would have ruled out had I actually expressed an opinion. I think I was stereotyped, but I won't go there.

She evidently didn't expect the trip to be as far as it was and asked me twice, "you live this way right?". There is a bad area of construction in between points A & B so I did feel for her to an extent. Then when we arrived at my house I notice that the trip hasn't ended on my app and after letting my dogs out, catch her as she's pulling away. I tell her that the trip hasn't ended to which she holds up her iPhone and says her phone died. I talked to her briefly and let her know that I would be charged for any additional miles so she needed to sit on the street and get enough charge to power on. She spent 15 minutes in front of my house until the trip finally ended. She got 5 stars and a $5 tip, but I'm sure it was a bad experience for her as it was for me. I think I learned more from that one trip as a rider than the 20 or so trips I've made as a driver.

Thatendedbadly

I've only been driving for a couple weeks and have a limited basis for comparison, but I took my first Uber ride today and wanted to share my experience. I sold a 2003 Explorer at Carmax today and needed a ride home ~15 miles or so. I sent the request and got a nearly immediate "Your Uber is 6 min away" message. Then that went away and it continued the request for almost 45 more minutes. I'm assuming that someone accepted the request and then cancelled, but I'm not sure.

I was finally picked up by a young woman wearing WAY too much perfume and listening to loud rap music. I was thankful for the ride and kept my mouth shut most of the time. I did mention to her that I also drove and attempted a brief conversation. I found out that today was her first day driving. She did ask me if I preferred a radio station to which I responded that I was good with most anything. She then chose to flip in between Country and Christian stations which would have been the only ones that I would have ruled out had I actually expressed an opinion. I think I was stereotyped, but I won't go there.

She evidently didn't expect the trip to be as far as it was and asked me twice, "you live this way right?". There is a bad area of construction in between points A & B so I did feel for her to an extent. Then when we arrived at my house I notice that the trip hasn't ended on my app and after letting my dogs out, catch her as she's pulling away. I tell her that the trip hasn't ended to which she holds up her iPhone and says her phone died. I talked to her briefly and let her know that I would be charged for any additional miles so she needed to sit on the street and get enough charge to power on. She spent 15 minutes in front of my house until the trip finally ended. She got 5 stars and a $5 tip, but I'm sure it was a bad experience for her as it was for me. I think I learned more from that one trip as a rider than the 20 or so trips I've made as a driver.
Whoa, not sure why you would feel it necessary to give this driver 5 stars. The radio stays off unless the pax requests it, blasting loud music for the pax? Really? Not having their phone plugged in and charging while driving? Not ending the trip and charging the pax for minutes? What about the next ride she gives? Since you didn't point out these obvious deficiencies in the experience she provided you and you actually reinforced her behavior as a driver by giving her 5 stars and a tip I'm just shaking my head.......

Uberbrethren

You are a nice person, WCS. Let's hope the driver learned from your example and can catch her stride moving forward.

WCSGuy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not gonna stomp on a complete newb. I feel like one myself and I did point out the deficiencies that I saw other than the music. She'll learn. I'm almost certain she has already figured out that she should have a full charge on her phone. No need to crap on someone that's still learning like I am. I have faith that the next ride she gives will be better than her last. Or she hated it and will quit driving. Either way, I don't need to pour salt on it.

I have more ill will towards the driver that cancelled and cost me an hour.

RockinEZ

Nope, that was a 3 star trip.
She did almost everything wrong and did not deserve a tip.

RockinEZ

That was nice of you. Except for the phone glitch she did what you asked. You need to say the music you like. She can't read your mind. The perfume part is something that we all have to deal with. To each their own. She asked the mileage because sometimes people put in the wrong address. So if it is over 5 miles drivers usually confirm. I do everything I can not to give rides to Uber drivers because most often drivers are the worst PAX. You are cool but you are the exception. I have had software crash picking up PAX. Drivers should not be allowed to rate other drivers.
Oh bull crap.
Uber warns you about perfume. (DON'T WEAR IT)
The phone glitch was her fault because she didn't have it plugged in.
If a pax has no musical choice, I leave it where it is or turn the radio off.
It is fine to ask about the route, but driving away with an open fare on the app is theft.

WCSGuy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nope, that was a 3 star trip.
She did almost everything wrong and did not deserve a tip.
Probably true, but as a new driver myself I chose to be thankful, patient, and observant. Like I said, I learned a lot from the ride. No need to punish a new driver. The learned lessons and ride home were worthy of $5 to me. The rating was encouragement for her to learn from our conversation. I was her first ride.

RockinEZ

Probably true, but as a new driver myself I chose to be thankful, patient, and observant. Like I said, I learned a lot from the ride. No need to punish a new driver. The learned lessons and ride home were worthy of $5 to me. The rating was encouragement for her to learn from our conversation. I was her first ride.
They give you a break on your first 50 rides, but she needed some feedback.

Only Uber can give her that, and that only happens if you tell Uber.

RockinEZ

Drivers should smell clean. Uber also warns about shouting which you do by using all caps.
She was new. She will get charger while driving like most drivers have. The app takes a lot of juice she will find out.
Silence is no good. I play music I like and ratings went way up.
Lol, theft is on Ubers end with the low rates they pay us and telling PAX not to tip. She stayed and closed the ride. You really think she was trying to rip off PAX? Nah, just a newbie.
I am just saying she needs to know.
Caps were necessary in that message because she is not supposed to be wearing anything the pax can smell.

I get the feeling from your reply that you are not actually an Uber driver.
Do you drive?

zchen92

Damn I never made that much tip yet. Even my 600 min trip to Vegas! I got nothing. And also shes like a one star. But no drivers want that shit. Or even a 4. But uber activation center has demos on of what to do to be good. No excuse there.

negeorgia

They give you a break on your first 50 rides, but she needed some feedback.

Only Uber can give her that, and that only happens if you tell Uber.
I have 4300 rides and don't get feedback from Uber about what a pax thinks I should do better, just fare adjustments without a warning or explanation.

negeorgia

Glad you are able to use this as a learning experience. I have not taken a ride as of yet. I have given over 4300 in 1.5 years; mostly in Athens. I think you treated your driver just fine, if she only gives a few rides she will always remember your kindness. The tip was deserved because she probably drove several miles til the next ping.

Istvan

Oh bull crap.
Uber warns you about perfume. (DON'T WEAR IT)
The phone glitch was her fault because she didn't have it plugged in.
If a pax has no musical choice, I leave it where it is or turn the radio off.
It is fine to ask about the route, but driving away with an open fare on the app is theft.
One of my close friend told me some of her uber driver stank ... I rather have someone wearing parfume or cologne then smelling the B.O.

RockinEZ

I pinged an Uber to get me back from dropping off my car at the A/C place.

The driver lived in Brawley, and drives in to San Diego to work for a week or so while living in his car.

The car was clean, the driver was clean. I couldn't tell he was camping in his Kia.
Nice guy, good driver.

I tipped him $5 because it was a short trip.

If you want to keep yourself and your car clean and in good shape, it can be done in the worst of circumstances. This guy did it.

tohunt4me

At least she came get you.

RockinEZ

Just cancel the trip if the driver didnt. As simple as that.
If I am riding as a pax and I have to end my own trip.
I will 1 star that driver and email Goober.

I have had my app crash plenty of times. I don't move an inch, reboot, end the trip, rate the pax, and only then do I move on.

I monitor the charge on my phone. Sometimes the phone charger backs out of the plug.
You have to pay attention to the phone and the app.

I actually reboot my phone when I take offline breaks. It helps both iPhones and Android phones.