• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

My first one star as a passenger

forqalso

I needed a ride to the airport shuttle bus so I could get to SFO. I got an Uber whose rating was 4.26. I thought, “this could be interesting, let’s see.” He gets there fine, offers me a water before I get in the car, which was a clean, newer Cruze. He was a nice enough fellow with a clean car. Five stars if he doesn’t try to kill me. He tries to kill me. He can’t figure out how to navigate out of my street, a street that has circle in its name. He drives with his phone in his lap and despite constantly looking down to check the gps, he stops the car at the entrance to the freeway to ask if he’s going the right way. A mile up the freeway, he stops the car at the exit, in a lane that was flowing along around the speed limit and again asks if he’s going the right way. After a yes from me, he pulls over into the path of a pickup. I see how he earned his 4.26.

mbd

I needed a ride to the airport shuttle bus so I could get to SFO. I got an Uber, Georgi, whose rating was 4.26. I thought, “this could be interesting, let’s see.” He gets there fine, offers me a water before I get in the car, which was a clean, newer Cruze. He was a nice enough fellow with a clean car. Five stars if he doesn’t try to kill me. He tries to kill me. He can’t figure out how to navigate out of my street, a street that has circle in its name. He drives with his phone in his lap and despite constantly looking down to check the gps, he stops the car at the entrance to the freeway to ask if he’s going the right way. A mile up the freeway, he stops the car at the exit, in a lane that was flowing along around the speed limit and again asks if he’s going the right way. After a yes from me, he pulls over into the path of a pickup. I see how he earned his 4.26.
If he killed you, it does eliminate a future U/l driver 🤔
He is probably a new driver , if he is not , then maybe he is from the Bay Area, that could explain his driving skills😳

Cary Grant

I would cancel on a driver with ratings that low, and keep requesting until I get one with better ratings. As a driver, I generally decline UberX pax south of 4.6, and VIP sound of 4.7 (and even higher as it gets later in the evening, or on weekends).

Kurt Halfyard

Author
When I am riding as a PAX, I cancel on ALL DRIVERS BELOW 4.9.

Drivers with low ratings are rated low mainly for 2 reasons:

1) Unsafe Driving
2) Unclean Car

Since I have a 2 minute cancel window, and am generally not in a hurry, I can wait an extra few minutes for a driver who knows what they are doing.

(And yes, I tip a minimum of 5$ on every ride.)

BikingBob

How does he have that rating and has been driving for 3.5 years? They would've been canned long ago when ratings actually did matter.

Cary Grant

If you think about it, consumer choice does all that's necessary, at least with low rated drivers. If pax (and drivers) exercise discretion and avoid pairing with the low-rated, then Uber/Lyft don't have to do anything.

Think about it. A driver with, for example, a 4.4 rating that drives around (or sits around) all day, getting tons of pax initiated cancels within the two-minute window, so he never makes a dime. How long will he keep this up? He'll self-select out of the driver pool, eventually. He will find something else to do.

Now, if only drivers would be pickier about the pax they pick up...

Just this last weekend, I declined pax with ratings of 4.1, 4.4, and 3.8, along with a handful of 4.5 rated pax.

CJfrom619

Just this last weekend, I declined pax with ratings of 4.1, 4.4, and 3.8, along with a handful of 4.5 rated pax.
I usually do the same thing decline any rider below a 4.7 just to avoid problems as most smart drivers do. I will occasionally break this rule and take a rider with an awful rating because of the area im in or its been slow.

Last weekend i was driving at the beach in the middle of a surge. I was given a flat $8 surge on my next ride when the surge disappears which basically forcing me to take the next ride. A request comes in 2 minutes later with a 4.17 rated rider! Which of course i had to take in order to get the surge.

Cdub2k

I usually do the same thing decline any rider below a 4.7 just to avoid problems as most smart drivers do. I will occasionally break this rule and take a rider with an awful rating because of the area im in or its been slow.

Last weekend i was driving at the beach in the middle of a surge. I was given a flat $8 surge on my next ride when the surge disappears which basically forcing me to take the next ride. A request comes in 2 minutes later with a 4.17 rated rider! Which of course i had to take in order to get the surge.
How did that ride turn out?

CJfrom619

How did that ride turn out?
It wasn’t awful but i can see why she had a 4.17 rating. I pull up to the house and text her im there in which she replies that she doesnt see me. I call and she had entered the wrong address. She was only down the street so i picked her up. She didnt speak English and she talked on the phone half the ride through the speaker. She did say high and bye which is good enough for me. The ride went for $38 with the $8 added which is all i care about. I can see why drivers in the past had rated her badly. I would have normally let that ride go but because the $8 surge was there and the surge had disappeared by the time i took that request made me take it.