My first cell phone. Yay.

Zaarc

last ride of the night, pick a guy up at a local millennial club at 3am. I figured he must have been working because they would have closed an hour ago, and yes. When I got home I looked and found his phone and two empty envelopes that seemingly had once contained his share of the credit card tips for the night. The envelopes were indeed empty and have no value. But the phone. What to do?? The lock screen had his home number on it, so i tried it at 4am, to no avail. I will try it again during the day, but what is the protocol here? I know i have seen it here and can look it up, but it has been a long day of driving, so im just asking. Thanks.

sd1303

last ride of the night, pick a guy up at a local millennial club at 3am. I figured he must have been working because they would have closed an hour ago, and yes. When I got home I looked and found his phone and two empty envelopes that seemingly had once contained his share of the credit card tips for the night. The envelopes were indeed empty and have no value. But the phone. What to do?? The lock screen had his home number on it, so i tried it at 4am, to no avail. I will try it again during the day, but what is the protocol here? I know i have seen it here and can look it up, but it has been a long day of driving, so im just asking. Thanks.

The owner will reach out when he realizes that he’s missing his phone. You can also go in and report it as a found item (help menu, trip issues, found an item).

Zaarc

The owner will reach out when he realizes that he’s missing his phone. You can also go in and report it as a found item (help menu, trip issues, found an item).
Thank you.
Post automatically merged:

OK. I read the Uber instructions, but I dont really want them involved in sharing my info. I have already given the guy my number by calling his unanswered phone. What if I do nothing proactive. He will probably track me down on his own, right? I like the
"I returned an item to my rider" option better. Apparently I will still get paid for it.

Last edited:

sd1303

Thank you.
Post automatically merged:

OK. I read the Uber instructions, but I dont really want them involved in sharing my info. I have already given the guy my number by calling his unanswered phone. What if I do nothing proactive. He will probably track me down on his own, right?

Correct. I would just hang onto it and wait a day or so. You’ve already reached out to the owner.
If no contact, turn it in to a GLH or police station.

Turn the phone off after you’re done driving, though, so they don’t show up at your house.

Zaarc

Correct. I would just hang onto it and wait a day or so. You’ve already reached out to the owner.
If no contact, turn it in to a GLH or police station.

Turn the phone off after you’re done driving, though, so they don’t show up at your house.
Yikes! Good point. But...i dont know how to turn it off. It is password locked and it is in a case and I dont even know what kind of phone it is.

njn

Don't worry, when he wakes up and uses find my phone, he will be at your door knocking. Or, he will have the police knocking at your door looking for stolen property. Both have happened to other drivers here.

Cdub2k

Don't worry, when he wakes up and uses find my phone, he will be at your door knocking. Or, he will have the police knocking at your door looking for stolen property. Both have happened to other drivers here.
Or he can beat him to it and drop it off in the dumpster outside of the police station.

Zaarc

OK, well it all worked out. Sure enough he literally came to my house , banging on the front door. I was just getting out of bed...hadn't even peed yet. He had been calling the phone all morning, according to my wife....and she wisely did not answer. But I will not be reporting it to Uber because he gave me 30 in cash.

Taksomotor

I think it is not "wisely" at all not to answer the lost phone if you are planning to return it. It is kind of really foolish. As a result, you made him come to your house, while you could just let him know that yeah, you got the phone and you would agree on a convenient way to hand it over, instead of him coming unannounced to your door and interrupting your peeing ceremony.

Zaarc

I think it is not "wisely" at all not to answer the lost phone if you are planning to return it. It is kind of really foolish. As a result, you made him come to your house, while you could just let him know that yeah, you got the phone and you would agree on a convenient way to hand it over, instead of him coming unannounced to your door and interrupting your peeing ceremony.
I thought it was wise that my WIFE didnt answer it. I certainly would have. But she figured that she didnt want to be responsible and accidentally say or do the wrong thing. Since it took him a few extra hours to get it back he might have been more desperate and hence 30 instead of maybe 20. Who knows?

sd1303

OK, well it all worked out. Sure enough he literally came to my house , banging on the front door. I was just getting out of bed...hadn't even peed yet. He had been calling the phone all morning, according to my wife....and she wisely did not answer. But I will not be reporting it to Uber because he gave me 30 in cash.

People are crazy.

SuzeCB

Should report it anyway and get the $15 more for him violating TOS by hunting you down.

F'im.

njn

Sure enough he literally came to my house , banging on the front door.

I was kidding when I said don't worry, he will show up. That is scary af.

Learn how to turn a phone off, it's not that hard, just don't do it at home as it will record the last location. Get a Faraday bag to avoid this in the future.

Alexxx_Uber

Immediately drop the phone in the garbage bin. They will track the phone and will find your address and knock your door otherwise.

Another Uber Driver

bring the phone to a police station and GET A RECEIPT that you gave them an item.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS, is always best^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The customer obviated that by showing up at your door. At least it worked out well for you. That does not usually happen with this sort of thing.

June132017

$30 is better than nothing.

One time I drove like 10-15 minutes to a burger joint (Steak N' Shake) to meet up someone who was 45 mins away. They were missing the phone for 4 days as I hadn't been out much. The phone was in my car for 4 days lol. So I meet up with them expecting a few dollars. They didn't tip me a damn thing and I didn't get the $15 from Uber.