• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

My feedback on Uber on it’s lost and found policy

MrLightRail

I Uber part-time, and I live 50 miles from where I work. If a passenger loses an item, or I discover a lost item at the end of my day, I notify Uber, and attempt to return the item to the owner the next time I work. I always refuse to share my phone number with ANYONE. I'm not driving 50 plus miles to return an item that will only get me 15.00 unless I plan on working that day. I may only work two days a week. I'm retired, and don't work more than I want to.

Demon

Again, you are incorrect. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Just because it is in your car doesn't mean you have taken possession of it; you have taken possession and control of it when you do so knowingly. If you didn't even know it was there, you did not take possession and control of it. If you immediately dispose of it, you are refusing to take possession and control of it.

I used to be somewhat surprised when people who didn't know what they were talking about simply refused to learn anything and just regurgitated their same garbage after it was proven to them that they were mistaken. It's because they don't really care about actually learning anything or knowing what might be true; they just want to feel that they're right already, and have others tell them that they're right.
You're still wrong. Once the driver picks it up they know they have it. Please stop giving out wrong information.

SuzeCB

Uh no, the law is absolutely on the rider's side on this one. Theft by finding is a real crime (just ask Gizmodo in that iPhone prototype case) and if the driver finds property where they have a reasonable knowledge of the owner they are required by law to either return it or hand it in to police. A quick Google shows that this violates Ohio Revised Code Section 2913.02 and is a misdemeanour offence.

If the rider is offering the reasonable cost of shipping and a reasonable fee to cover the handling, and the driver is refusing to send it, even if they do think the rider is "rude" or whatever, they're a flat out criminal. And it concerns me how many of you lot are OK with that.
The driver might have to hand it over, but does NOT have to go through any trouble to do so. S/he CAN insist that you come to their chosen spot to collect your item (and then put in to Uber for the Returned Item Fee).

But to have to transport it and then drive back? Nah. Compensation for the time, gas, and wear and tear on the car is more than reasonable.

Kyanar

The driver might have to hand it over, but does NOT have to go through any trouble to do so. S/he CAN insist that you come to their chosen spot to collect your item (and then put in to Uber for the Returned Item Fee).

But to have to transport it and then drive back? Nah. Compensation for the time, gas, and wear and tear on the car is more than reasonable.
Where in that post did you read anything saying that compensation for reasonable expenses incurred in returning the item should not be charged?

DrivingForYou

Hi guys this is my feedback I sent to Uber. Let me know what do you think, if you have similar concerns or if you want to know more about my story.

is raiders are likely have no effective mean
1) You really need to go over that message another three times to correct the bad grammar and spelling.

2) I think you should tell the story of what and how you lost whatever it is.

3) Are you sending this to Uber? If you want to actually get attention, send it by CERTIFIED MAIL, signature required, to Dara, to the head of the legal department, to the product manager, and anyone else you want to annoy. You need to get their names and the corporate offices they each work in.

4) Don't file small claims, file a LIMITED CIVIL ACTION in superior court, then Uber will be forced to bring in actual attorneys to deal with you.
Post automatically merged:

Even in the US, the finder of lost property is not to my knowledge entitled to decide whether they keep, return, or sell found property.
Mmmm... pretty much we are able to do so... Theoretically, we are supposed to turn it into the police, who hold it for three months, and if not claimed within that time, then we do indeed get to keep it.

That said, I have never heard of anyone actually turning in anything to any police department, like, ever.

But we do have a legal fiction here that is often stated as "possession is nine tenths of the law".

There are of course so many "it depends" though. Context has a lot to do with this. Based on the OP though, I think there is a lot that is not being discussed.

Last edited:

Robertmh5353

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1) You really need to go over that message another three times to correct the bad grammar and spelling.

2) I think you should tell the story of what and how you lost whatever it is.

3) Are you sending this to Uber? If you want to actually get attention, send it by CERTIFIED MAIL, signature required, to Dara, to the head of the legal department, to the product manager, and anyone else you want to annoy. You need to get their names and the corporate offices they each work in.

4) Don't file small claims, file a LIMITED CIVIL ACTION in superior court, then Uber will be forced to bring in actual attorneys to deal with you.
Post automatically merged:

Mmmm... pretty much we are able to do so... Theoretically, we are supposed to turn it into the police, who hold it for three months, and if not claimed within that time, then we do indeed get to keep it.

That said, I have never heard of anyone actually turning in anything to any police department, like, ever.

But we do have a legal fiction here that is often stated as "possession is nine tenths of the law".

There are of course so many "it depends" though. Context has a lot to do with this. Based on the OP though, I think there is a lot that is not being discussed.
Thanks for the reply and advice. Yeah I type fast and post fast, that kind of writing is often the result. Unfortunately it seems you can only edit your most recent post here. Hope I at least got my message through.

I posted more detailed story in another reply. I wanted to focus on the many issues I found in the current lost and found system.

Last edited:

LoLo SF

Did you offer to pay the driver for his/her time to return the item? Several months ago, I found an iphone in the back seat pocket of my car. I contacted Uber as I had no idea who it belonged to and offered to drop it off at the hub. I was told none of my pax had contacted them about the loss and that they would not accept the responsibility of it's custody.

The next day I woke with a bad case of the flu and was completely out of commission for several days. Meanwhile, the dullard who lost the phone discovered the loss and begins harassing me with a constant barrage of calls. I tell him about my situation and suggested he come to me so I can hand him the phone. He replies with "I don't own a car so you'll have to come to me and I need it now". Welp, no I won't be coming to you now. I am unable to even muster the energy to do what I need to do for myself, as I am in the throes of the flu.

A few days later I gather myself together to go meet the a$$hole and he has the nerve to not be where we had agreed to meet. So I had to wait for him. He finally shows up and can clearly see that I am sick as a dog and feeling miserable. I politely handed over the phone and what do you think I got in return. His bad attitude and a 1 star rating -- no thank you, no tip, no compensation, nada.

That was my first and last time returning anything to a pax without being properly compensated. Sorry to have to be this way, but time is money and we earn very little of it. An offer of a tip or some monetary compensation goes a long way and is the right thing to do. Otherwise, you may be displeased with your results.

Demon

Did you offer to pay the driver for his/her time to return the item? Several months ago, I found an iphone in the back seat pocket of my car. I contacted Uber as I had no idea who it belonged to and offered to drop it off at the hub. I was told none of my pax had contacted them about the loss and that they would not accept the responsibility of it's custody.

The next day I woke with a bad case of the flu and was completely out of commission for several days. Meanwhile, the dullard who lost the phone discovered the loss and begins harassing me with a constant barrage of calls. I tell him about my situation and suggested he come to me so I can hand him the phone. He replies with "I don't own a car so you'll have to come to me and I need it now". Welp, no I won't be coming to you now. I am unable to even muster the energy to do what I need to do for myself, as I am in the throes of the flu.

A few days later I gather myself together to go meet the a$$hole and he has the nerve to not be where we had agreed to meet. So I had to wait for him. He finally shows up and can clearly see that I am sick as a dog and feeling miserable. I politely handed over the phone and what do you think I got in return. His bad attitude and a 1 star rating -- no thank you, no tip, no compensation, nada.

That was my first and last time returning anything to a pax without being properly compensated. Sorry to have to be this way, but time is money and we earn very little of it. An offer of a tip or some monetary compensation goes a long way and is the right thing to do. Otherwise, you may be displeased with your results.
You get the $15 return fee.

Five Star

Hi guys this is my feedback I sent to Uber. Let me know what do you think, if you have similar concerns or if you want to know more about my story.

Hi there, I have a ongoing dispute with a Driver who refuse to return a lost item. This advice is closely related to that dispute. Please check your record for further information. I have mentioned my feedbacks on community guidelines on Uber app support, but i would like to keep a record here too.

In my case, since Uber already disclaimed responsibility for itself and drivers, I cannot successfully file a criminal litigation through the prosecutor in Ohio, and since it is a misdemeanor case there will likely be no follow ups from police to my police report i filed in Cleveland, while the overall cost of civil litigation in small claim court is higher than the value of the lost item for me. The current reality is raiders are likely have no effective mean to reclaim a small value lost item if the driver refuse to return it.

Furthermore, some drivers might see return a lost item as optional when there is no clear community guideline. My driver very clearly told me that he think he is free to decide whether to return it, keep it or seIl it even after two months and my repeated complaints on Uber app support. In order to fundamentally prevent further incidents like mine from happening again, I highly recommend Uber revise its community guideline and clearly state any lost item should be returned within reasonable amount of time when a owner is known and actively pursuing its return( typically a week or two maybe?). Fortunately in my case the value of my lost item is not significant, but for others it might be life altering. I hope Uber can recognize the serious and urgent need to add a detailed lost and found policy in community guideline.
I think posting your complaints here is absolutely idiotic (sorry to say). This is a driver’s forum, no one here cares about your “crusade”, and let me tell you something, NO ONE EVEN LOOKED at your suggestion at Uber, NO ONE. They just don’t give a shit, simple as that.

SuzeCB

Where in that post did you read anything saying that compensation for reasonable expenses incurred in returning the item should not be charged?
I suppose the question boils down to what each person decides is "reasonable". Driver is looking at $15 from pax/Uber through the app, which may be too little from the driver's point of view. Driver's looking at inconvenience of driving somewhere there may be dead miles coming back from, WHEN can s/he do it, if going to... no, I wouldn't return an item on a Friday or Saturday afternoon or evening unless it took me to or toward where I wanted to stage for the night. Unless the upfront, cash or (higher amount due to costs) Square reader as soon as I got there, just before handing over the item.

Something smaller I might be willing to put in the mail once I saw an acceptable tip amount over the app to cover S&H.

'Reasonable" is relative, and anything less than an IMMEDIATE return, free of charge is not going to seem "reasonable" to the pax that lost the item.

When I first started, I found a phone that was left in the car. I realized who it belonged to, and, not knowing any better, drove to the house where I had dropped the couple, just about a half hour after I had done so. They thanked me profusely at the door, gushing how the executive husband's entire business and life was on that phone. No tip, of course. The next day I was contacted by Uber the couple complained I went to the house. At the time, the $15 return fee didn't exist, so they weren't even protesting that... and the were fully clothed when they answered the door, so it wasn't THAT.

There is no way to keep all involved as happy as they all think they should be.

Demon

I think posting your complaints here is absolutely idiotic (sorry to say). This is a driver’s forum, no one here cares about your “crusade”, and let me tell you something, NO ONE EVEN LOOKED at your suggestion at Uber, NO ONE. They just don’t give a shit, simple as that.
Which is too bad because in the end it will mean drivers get screwed over.