1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

My favorite riders

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by Agnok, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Agnok

Agnok New Member

I've been dying to both relate this and find if anyone has had similar experiences.
    I seem to have discovered certain types of riders. They don't know each other, but they behave exactly the same. Freaky.
    The younger girl who is engaged in a phone 'conversation' for the whole 30 minute ride, who's sole interaction with you is to snap pointless directions. I've started giving her 1 star. She always looks different, but it has to be the same girl, right?
    The fat middle-aged dude who slings the front seat all the way back (without asking to sit in front) and declines to put a destination in. He tells you to keep driving, he'll let you know. Proceeds to get involved with his phone, looks up in time to miss his turn, yelling 'There! There!', and then let's you know you need to be a better driver. Variations on this last bit might be 'You need to listen. There you go, not listening'.
    This is the sound of you getting one star.
    The dude who will not move unless the vehicle is less than 2 feet in front of him. It seems the purpose of ride-sharing is actually his personal convenience. He should NOT have to walk to the next-door neighbors driveway (where his pin dropped, incidentally) for his ride. That's not convenient! It's chaos!
    Thank you for listening, and I do feel better!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2017
  2. Darrell

Darrell Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Why would a rider need permission to sit in the front seat? Why would you care if someone talked on the phone the entire time, that means their not asking you a 100 questions or it's not an awkward silence? Why do you seem to have so many "sh*tty" riders, could it be you are one of those drivers who look for something to complain about?

You've got ex taxi driver written all over your face and negative attitude.

DudeGuy, Merk734 and Shangsta like this.
  3. Agnok

Agnok New Member

Aww, darrell. You may have hurt my last feeling! And my face is cultured.
    I'm going to assume you have not experienced these riders. Good for you! Maybe I can move to your perfect city with perfect riders? Is it in New Mexico? I've always wanted to go there. ..maybe we can move in together?

4. Darrell

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Maybe we can but I need the first, last, and security deposit up front.

Don't Turn Around and Agnok like this.
  5. PTUber

PTUber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Odd you only or at least frequently get these 2 types. I'm with Darrell on this one who cares if she is on the phone the whole time. Secondly don't drive unless you get an address. Tell him its the rules or something.

6. DrivingZiggy

DrivingZiggy Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It kinda is the rule. Uber won't know where you're going, so they won't be able to stack a ping on you. I just explain that to the pax who don't put in an address or need to change destination.

UberNaToo, ryan137 and Kembolicous like this.
  7. freddieman

freddieman Well-Known Member

this is a complaint thread. let OP air out his take. i can relate somewhat to OP's gripe.

UberNaToo and Blackout 702 like this.
  8. Darrell

Driving:
    UberSUV
    If people don't want their comments or complaints questioned, maybe they should write down their complaints on a piece of paper then throw it away.

9. GalinMcMahon

GalinMcMahon Active Member

I refuse to drive without a destination. I will allow 1 rider-initiated route deviation. If they try 2, I pull over and plan the route out with them. The time loss doing this shuts them up. When I nav I am always at least 2 turns ahead of my actual location. I'm not that a-hole who swoops into a lane at the last second after the entire lane has been waiting in queue.

I love it when they're on the phone. "How long have you been doing Uber?" Do you really care?

UberNaToo and Blackout 702 like this.
  10. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

In upfront fare markets a destination is required.

11. UberChicago80

UberChicago80 Active Member

12. dmarusa

dmarusa New Member

That was my question too. It is my opinion that the rider has paid for my entire car except the driver seat. If he/she wants to throw something in the trunk.... fine. If he/she had 10 coffees and wants to use all of my cup holders.... I'll hold mine between my legs as I drive. When a rider asks if they can sit up front, my answer is always, "For the next 15 minutes, this is your car. Sit wherever you please."

ryan137, BbKtKeanu and Darrell like this.
  13. HPClays

HPClays Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Oh my....

Shangsta and tucstwo like this.
  14. AuxCordBoston

AuxCordBoston Well-Known Member

I like hot girls who smell like pot and are texting the whole time

Bean and Tnasty like this.
  15. tucstwo

tucstwo Active Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Uber trains errr indoctrinates them well now.

16. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

False, I am still the one driving. I am still the one controlling the music. They are free to make suggestions but I am in control.

17. dmarusa

dmarusa New Member

Tuckstwo - No training involved here, just common sense. I hear a lot of rhetoric here that sounds like the drivers feel they are doing the riders a favor by picking them up.

Well, I've done a few things in my nearly 50 years and some of them have required customer service. I recognize that this job is, without a doubt, "costumer service". How we get those customers is a little different from other jobs, but not by much. Compare driving for UBER to waiting tables. Customers sit at a table you are assigned to and everything that happens until they walk out the door is up to you. If you're a good waiter, you'll add value every chance you get. How do you feel when you get a waiter that gives you the bare minimum of effort. To me, they only earned their $2/hour for being there. Having waited tables in my past, I never stiff bad waiters entirely, but I'm not shy about letting them know that I'm disappointed in the service.

I've never been on the rider side of the transaction, but I believe that I would have high expectations. Sure, it is cheaper than a cab, but I think cabs are too expensive. They are the customer and as soon as you loose sight of that, you'll view them with contempt and everything they do will be source of irritation.

I'm relatively new to UBER having just under 200 rides so far, but I've only had 2 or 3 bad customers. The ones that followed might have been bad too if I had let those experiences change my perspective or influence how I treated the next ones. I think you can set the tone for the drive by how you greet them.... or at least that has been my experience.

18. UberNaToo

UberNaToo Active Member

Why the hate? He has a right to vent. He's making minimum wage shuttling America's entitled he should at least be able to bust on them.

Kembolicous likes this.
  19. UberNaToo

UberNaToo Active Member

Change your name to Ghandi.

20. UberNaToo

UberNaToo Active Member

I've had a wide array of passengers money, no money, whitie, the oppressed.

If asked about Uber, I ask them "do you want the truth"

The truth does not result in a higher percentage of tips and I'm not pandering for them but there is a level of power in laying out the economic realities of the uberization of the working class.

I hesitated at the beginning then I realized how can a person of any intelligence believe you can take a service, reduce its pricing insanely and that driver is actually making a profit.

My daughter goes to Tech I get to that area of town often and have actually picked her up to take her to class (no I don't have the meter running). That is the only reason this works for me.

Maybe you're lonely, and just want to escape from your wife for a few hours a day, are independently wealthy due to some long lost uncle who forgot to write you out of his will, or thoughts of putting that last rider in your trunk along side that shovel and bag of lyme does the trick.

I need to get back on track. There are some good people out there that are dealing with real life **** and it's nice to be able to say, "this is what has worked for me". I like that and a tip is not the aim. I don't hump their bags unless it's a lady or the elderly. I love popping the trunk at Hartsfield and making others get their own crap out of my car. Lol.. (this means stay in your CPT's chair Kirk.)

I've posted this before but early on I got a ping from some poppi to pick up his wife and kids at a goodwill type of store. She had bags of stuff and I played Journey on the way back to Buford Hwy. (I might have song a few lines. Sure this will get me banned from Uber) Little house, no cars and she tried to give me a tip. I wouldn't take it. No gracias Amiga pero no necessito.

The thought is what counted. My faith in humanity was restored and to sum this all up the thing I've found is those least likely to afford to tip, tip. Call them suckers, sloppy with their money and deserving of their place in this capitalist nightmare, but I'm just going to say they are better. Better than me, the d bag lawyers that slide out the back at Hartsfield, and the queens at Emory that Uber two blocks for their Starbucks.

" FullSizeR.jpg Man, I need to get back in the ****. I'm getting soft!"

PS. I'm watching the games today. I don't give a damn if there is actual surges like in real cities where it's reported Uber drivers actually make money. Tomorrow too. Go Pack!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Skinny1 likes this.