• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

my experience waiting in the ewr rideshare lot

burgerflipper

boy do i have a lot to post, and no time. so i'll be brief

i dropped off a lyft pax at ewr and use the Lyft app to find my way to the rideshare lot. while im still at the terminal, i get an instaping. i call, they say jersey. i ask them to cancel, they claim that they get charged a fee. i tell them its Lyft policy not to charge a cancellation fee if you cancel within 5 minutes (this is true. its on their website). they basically tell me that apparently Lyft doesnt care what its own policy is as long as they can squeeze an extra $10 from the pax without giving any of it to the driver. ok, great. anyways, i decide to be mr nice guy (since this is the first time i'm hearing about this behavior of Lyft) and i cancel the ride for him. of course that kicks me out of the "instaping que", so i head to the lot.

its 10 MINUTES AWAY!

thats a 20 minute upfront waste of time just to get a ride at jersey rates back to the city!

as i head to the lot, lyft sends me 3 pings from the mall at elizabeth, nj. of course i ignore them all since no way are they going to ny. lyft "signs me out due to inactivity".

i get to the lot. i guess the airport was busy, because about 10 minutes later i start getting pings. call them, they tell me its to jersey. i ask them to cancel. they tell me the last 5 drivers told them the same thing! and uber charged them $2 each time they cancelled!

also get pings on lyft, same story. 35 minutes and 10 passenger-cancelled rides later, i finally get a ride to ny. lyft line. a pax gets added going to nj and im too ashamed to ignore the ping cuz my first pax is such a nice guy, so i have to wander the streets of jersey city at 20 miles an hour for jersey rates. close to an hour later and ive covered 25 miles for a payout of about $45. total time since the dropoff at the airport: 2 hours. and i was lucky. the que was super short when i arrived and the dropoff was right over the holland tunnel. it was a "best case scenario"! 2 hours!

my take on this: this isnt going to last long. uber and lyft think they can still get away with sending us jersey rides at ewr, but pax are really, really upset because they have to pay 5 or more cancellation fees before getting a driver to ny. drivers arent willing to cancel on pax anymore because theyll get sent to the back of the que. be ready for an email from uber and lyft next week announcing new policies at ewr. sometimes they just cant get away with their mischief.

Last edited:

Jonrockzz

Yesterday was the first time i got a instaping in ewr with lyft, it was at terminal B and the pax was headed to midtown 5th ave with toll and all only made $40 and $2 dollar tip :frown:

Uberinian

Ewr is trash. On Uber ewr website, it says nyc drivers only get rides to nyc. However, I got two ewr trips only 3 miles away after waiting 1.5 hours. Uber are liars. Nyc drivers don't get nyc trips.

Uberinian

Yea Jersey rates just suck.
I believe that the whole NJ state has that shit rate.... Except for jersey shore area if I recall correctly. Thier rates are the same as NY, if not, better. And they don't have a tlc and any fees. The shore is like the Hamptons of nyc. But that's way far out there

drbrkln

boy do i have a lot to post, and no time. so i'll be brief

i dropped off a lyft pax at ewr and use the Lyft app to find my way to the rideshare lot. while im still at the terminal, i get an instaping. i call, they say jersey. i ask them to cancel, they claim that they get charged a fee. i tell them its Lyft policy not to charge a cancellation fee if you cancel within 5 minutes (this is true. its on their website). they basically tell me that apparently Lyft doesnt care what its own policy is as long as they can squeeze an extra $10 from the pax without giving any of it to the driver. ok, great. anyways, i decide to be mr nice guy (since this is the first time i'm hearing about this behavior of Lyft) and i cancel the ride for him. of course that kicks me out of the "instaping que", so i head to the lot.

its 10 MINUTES AWAY!

thats a 20 minute upfront waste of time just to get a ride at jersey rates back to the city!

as i head to the lot, lyft sends me 3 pings from the mall at elizabeth, nj. of course i ignore them all since no way are they going to ny. lyft "signs me out due to inactivity".

i get to the lot. i guess the airport was busy, because about 10 minutes later i start getting pings. call them, they tell me its to jersey. i ask them to cancel. they tell me the last 5 drivers told them the same thing! and uber charged them $2 each time they cancelled!

also get pings on lyft, same story. 35 minutes and 10 passenger-cancelled rides later, i finally get a ride to ny. lyft line. a pax gets added going to nj and im too ashamed to ignore the ping cuz my first pax is such a nice guy, so i have to wander the streets of jersey city at 20 miles an hour for jersey rates. close to an hour later and ive covered 25 miles for a payout of about $45. total time since the dropoff at the airport: 2 hours. and i was lucky. the que was super short when i arrived and the dropoff was right over the holland tunnel. it was a "best case scenario"! 2 hours!

my take on this: this isnt going to last long. uber and lyft think they can still get away with sending us jersey rides at ewr, but pax are really, really upset because they have to pay 5 or more cancellation fees before getting a driver to ny. drivers arent willing to cancel on pax anymore because theyll get sent to the back of the que. be ready for an email from uber and lyft next week announcing new policies at ewr. sometimes they just cant get away with their mischief.
I understand all the complaining about pings not being back to NY, but nowadays you certainly would make the same $45 for 2 hours in "busy" NYC at NY rates, maybe less miles though, so why are you complaining ? Or that $45 includes toll ? $2/mile in earnings nowadays is not all that bad, $20/hour that is what it is anyways at NY rates. So, you did ok.

Uberinian

Ewr "ride share lot" is a strange place to be in. All those jersey cars with lyft/uber signs on their windshield. I even saw a Ford f150 truck with lyft sign lol
Yeah I think it's a law in NJ to be required to display the lyft or Uber sign on windshield... Thankfully we don't have that crap here.

jerseyboys

Dear Uber/Lyft programmers

Earn your f Pay!!!!

Thank you

You already have it set-up with the NYS burbs where TLC cannot get point to point. Only rides back to the city. How hard is it to implement this to jersey?

Seriously. This is why these companies are in the red.

burgerflipper

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I understand all the complaining about pings not being back to NY, but nowadays you certainly would make the same $45 for 2 hours in "busy" NYC at NY rates, maybe less miles though, so why are you complaining ? Or that $45 includes toll ? $2/mile in earnings nowadays is not all that bad, $20/hour that is what it is anyways at NY rates. So, you did ok.
i'll tell u why im complaining. because it used to be that a day where i did a trip to ewr was a good day. now its an average day. and you know what? we need good days to balance out the bad days. thats why.