My broker answers me

Karem

My insurance broker says I must switch my insurance to intact!!!
What about you guys?
Seems everyone has to switch to intact and pay penelty for early leaving.
Sucks

djino

I think you may need to wait bit for the industry to catch up to this offering. Insurance carriers likely have no way of confirming at this point if coverage exists for the Uber driver by the carrier representing this endorsement from Uber (Intact).

Basically its best for them to cover their ass at this point by saying that you can't continue on their policy and drive for Uber than to say, sure its fine.

djino

Karem

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you may need to wait bit for the industry to catch up to this offering. Insurance carriers likely have no way of confirming at this point if coverage exists for the Uber driver by the carrier representing this endorsement from Uber (Intact).

Basically its best for them to cover their ass at this point by saying that you can't continue on their policy and drive for Uber than to say, sure its fine.

djino
I think you right my friend. Will wait a bit. We been risking it for quite a bit anyway so what a few more weeks.
Thanks for your input:smiles:

Harry70

I moved all my vehicles and my home to Intact in April so, this should be a seamless migration. Now to see how competitive they are for my motorcycles.
Smart ; U have fleet yourself man ; go for fleet insurance

Uberchampion

Will cost me extra 40 dollars . I can live with that
I spoke with my broker today to look at renewal options. Funny that Intact is the best quote for us. Aviva was almost $1400 more per year!

Out of the blue my broker asked me if I drove for Uber. I followed Biozones suggestion and said I signed up but haven't driven....I didn't ask him why he asked but I think that since we are now insured with Intact through Uber they may have flagged us all to insurance companies (can anyone confirm?)

He told me that my current provider would cancel me if are told (wawanesa) and he suggested I don't start ubering until my intact policy is in place, he's seen a lot of people cancelled and have to pay more with new provider because they have been marked as "policy cancelled". He also said he's seen claims paid out for medical but not the value of the car or repairs paid out if they find out you Uber and have had an accident.

So...wawa insurance doesn't cover uber. They will cancel you. Don't know about the the other providers. If someone has a broker friend please find out if we are all flagged as drivers because of intact.

Thanks biozon for the suggestion on how to present it to Insurance.

Token44

It'll take a while for the other insurance companies to figure this whole thing out. Insurance companies, by their nature, are LARGE companies, and as with any large organization, it takes time for anything to change.

Of course it makes sense for Intact to say "switch your personal policy to us" as that means more revenue dollars for them.

I even understand the post in this thread (and others) from a site sponsor insurance broker recommending switching. Again more $$$ for them.

Once the other insurers understand what the Uber policy with Intact is, there's really no reason for them to drop you, much less report it as a cancelled policy.
If they do that there will be a LOT of filings with the General Insurance Ombudservice, which is something that insurance companies HATE! And something they will figure out quickly that they can't win.
https://www.giocanada.org/

Even the Financial Services Commission of Ontario, the provincial regulating body for insurance in Ontario, has a complaint resolution process.
https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/insurance/complaints/Pages/default.aspx

If your current insurer doesn't want to cover you anymore because you drive for UBER, and say they will let you cancel for a fee, simply ask "Who's the insurance company's ombudsman?" this will usually make that fee go away.

Uberchampion

It'll take a while for the other insurance companies to figure this whole thing out. Insurance companies, by their nature, are LARGE companies, and as with any large organization, it takes time for anything to change.

Of course it makes sense for Intact to say "switch your personal policy to us" as that means more revenue dollars for them.

I even understand the post in this thread (and others) from a site sponsor insurance broker recommending switching. Again more $$$ for them.

Once the other insurers understand what the Uber policy with Intact is, there's really no reason for them to drop you, much less report it as a cancelled policy.
If they do that there will be a LOT of filings with the General Insurance Ombudservice, which is something that insurance companies HATE! And something they will figure out quickly that they can't win.

Even the Financial Services Commission of Ontario, the provincial regulating body for insurance in Ontario, has a complaint resolution process.

If your current insurer doesn't want to cover you anymore because you drive for UBER, and say they will let you cancel for a fee, simply ask "Who's the insurance company's ombudsman?" this will usually make that fee go away.
Awesome advice Token44

Thank you

Harry70

Good post like it

Token44

Intact is currently the only company with clear rules and guidelines and the advantage over the Aviva policy other than the cost savings is they have not limited number of hours which we found was a big concern among drivers. Get a quick quote online at www.ridesharingcarinsurance.ca with Intact to see your rate.
Just so I'm clear, is your post above is actually an advertisement for your services?

I see you are a "site supporter" so you should be able to advertise, but the post is rather unclear.

You appear to be stating that a driver's personal policy should be with Intact but that's simply not the case.

The FSCO (Ontario's governing body for auto insurance) had published publicly:
"Uber drivers don’t need to do anything or be Intact customers to get this coverage, which came into effect on July 7, 2016."

This is available on their website here:
https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/Pages/ridesharing-info.aspx

This also makes the endorsement offered by Aviva unnecessary.

While true, other insurers haven't spelled out anything for rideshare in their policies, they are not covering the time the drivers are engaged in rideshare activities.

Harry70

Just so I'm clear, is your post above is actually an advertisement for your services?

I see you are a "site supporter" so you should be able to advertise, but the post is rather unclear.

You appear to be stating that a driver's personal policy should be with Intact but that's simply not the case.

The FSCO (Ontario's governing body for auto insurance) had published publicly:
"Uber drivers don’t need to do anything or be Intact customers to get this coverage, which came into effect on July 7, 2016."

This is available on their website here:
https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/Pages/ridesharing-info.aspx

This also makes the endorsement offered by Aviva unnecessary.

While true, other insurers haven't spelled out anything for rideshare in their policies, they are not covering the time the drivers are engaged in rideshare activities.
Same thing i m advocating in all my posts regarding insurance; u have nailed it; these insurance broker / companies r trying to make moneyour out of us ; there is no disclaimer on intact policy;

Token44

Same thing i m advocating in all my posts regarding insurance; u have nailed it; these insurance broker / companies r trying to make moneyour out of us ; there is no disclaimer on intact policy;
Well... Not exactly.
The particular broker that posted above is a site sponsor, so that would mean that they are able to advertise their services on this site. They pay money to be able to do so.

I just feel they should be a LOT more clear in their postings that they are advertising their services, which is how they get their own income, rather than making posts that elude that their services are "required".

Or making it appear as though drivers must switch insurance companies, when the Provincial Regulator says that's not the case.

Last edited:

Token44

On the same note, some broker can decide to take this ball and run with it!

They can be offering their services to SAVE drivers money.

Finding the best possible price for a driver's insurance needs, and focusing ONLY on their customer's needs.

Anyone currently selling the Aviva endorsement is clearly not acting in their customer's best interest as they are letting their customer pay for something they do not need.

Another example would be a part time UBER driver.

Currently their personal insurance may include coverage for them commuting to their regular job, where if they drive to work and home with the UBER app on they would be covered under UBER's policy, so could remove the commuting from their own policy, making theirs a purely "for pleasure" policy, with much lower annual mileage driven, and perhaps lower rates.

If there's a broker out there that takes this position, I can see them making some good $$$ for themselves.