My best advice and an apology

Juggalo9er

If you're ever in an accident, pulled over, or stopped by police... say nothing
Literally anything you say will give the officer information to cite you or arrest you... let the insurance companies figure out who was At fault in an accident....

Point and case... last night I pulled over an uber driver for a burned out brake light, typical routine stop and I never write tickets for these....

This guy talked himself into getting a ticket for failing to update his drivers license (it had been over a year), no proof of insurance ( when he said The proof he had handed me was not valid)...I can't see if it's actually valid only the dates.... he literally argued with me for no reason and was combative all while a pax was in his car....

Last edited by a moderator:

Hooray5Stars

let the insurance companies figure out who was At fault in an accident....
Meh, I know from personal experience that quite often Insurance companies get this wrong. I wouldn't leave anything to them. Was riding with my brother one time and another driver lost control of their vehicle and spun into my brother's car. Anyways, cops show up, agree that the other driver clearly caused this accident, cited him, and in addition to that this driver had expired plates and other issues. However, it takes about a week or so for the report to become public. Insurance calls, asks what happens.. blah blah blah.. they come to some insane conclusion about my brother "following too closely" and stuck him with the liability for both accidents. When he said "Whoa wait a second here the police report is going to show I'm in the clear, the other driver caused this" they told him "Well, the police reports aren't the end all be all". LOL! So some guy at a desk somewhere apparently knew more than the officers who observed the wreck and assessed the situation. Okay. If you get in an accident, you're best NOT making any statement to an insurance company until the police reports are released. I'd even strongly consider only issuing them a written statement that an attorney helps craft so they don't take any "creative liberties".

Seamus

Regarding accidents, in NY State unless someone has been killed or very seriously injured, there is no investigation, fault determined, or anything other than a very basic report taken. An accident report just simply lists the drivers and the location of the accident. Only other notation is the location of the vehicle damage. If your are obviously rear ended it will state that.

My son was struck by a car that the driver was talking on a cellphone, crossed a double yellow line to hit him on the opposite side of the road in a crosswalk. The State Police refused to even issue any tickets to the driver because "they didn't see it". I went up the chain and made a big stink about it and got no where. Contacted the local news and they weren't interested. Yes'ed me to death and never ran a story.

Last edited:

reg barclay

Sounds like the only sure fire way to prove who caused the accident is to have a Dash Cam.
A few years ago (before I did Uber), a guy swerved in front me, but I managed to avoid hitting his car. He stopped, and came running up to me (in apparent rage), saying I hit his car, blah blah blah, and he wants my insurance details. I calmly told him, let's call the police and let them deal with it. Locked my car door, called the police, but didn't tell him I had dash cam footage. When the police arrived, he started telling them his version, with passengers in his car confirming it. I calmly showed the footage to the cop, and I could see the guy's attitude changed when he saw that I had the video. Police filed a report, and told us both how to access it. Saved the video just in case, but never heard any insurance claim about it.

Cdub2k

A few years ago (before I did Uber), a guy swerved in front me, but I managed to avoid hitting his car. He stopped, and came running up to me (in apparent rage), saying I hit his car, blah blah blah, and he wants my insurance details. I calmly told him, let's call the police and let them deal with it. Locked my car door, called the police, but didn't tell him I had dash cam footage. When the police arrived, he started telling them his version, with passengers in his car confirming it. I calmly showed the footage to the cop, and I could see the guy's attitude changed when he saw that I had the video. Police filed a report, and told us both how to access it. Saved the video just in case, but never heard any insurance claim about it.
I would’ve told the cop what happened so that the police report could be written. There’s no need to tell the cop you have a Dashcam while simultaneously letting the scammers know you had one. I would have let the other driver and his car full of liars file the false police report and file the false insurance claim before Checkmating Their whole scheme with Dash Cam footage.

Filing a false police report is a misdemeanor in most states and under certain circumstances it’s a felony. How are they going to explain their situation in court? The footage would clearly show them violently cutting you off and slamming on the breaks and you avoiding the accident then it’ll show the guy getting out of the car in a Rage. Yeah their asses would be going to jail because I guarantee that they’ve done that a few times.

Iann

@Juggalo9er as a LEO would you respect that I turn on all lights in my car and roll down all my windows when getting pulled over, ignition turned off and keys on dash and both hands on steering wheel at 10 & 2?

I have been harassed and questioned when doing that and also told to do that for respect of the LEO the pulled me over.

ColtDelta

@Juggalo9er as a LEO would you respect that I turn on all lights in my car and roll down all my windows when getting pulled over, ignition turned off and keys on dash and both hands on steering wheel at 10 & 2?

I have been harassed and questioned when doing that and also told to do that for respect of the LEO the pulled me over.
In Ohio if you have a CCW that's pretty much expected in a traffic stop. Also the first thing out of your mouth has to be "I have a concealed carry permit and a firearm on my left side in a shoulder holster". Never take your hands off the wheel. Follow instructions and in every case I've gone on with no ticket / no problems.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

Saying the least possible to the police is almost always the right thing to do.

I always think it’s funny when you see these YouTube videos where the police start asking all kinds of questions like “where are you going?“ And “what are you doing here?“ At Cetera.

I’m always respectful to the police but if I was in a situation like that I would be tempted to ask them why they are asking me. It’s not against the law for them to ask but there’s no reason why you have to answer them.

Wildgoose

My son was struck by a car that the driver was talking on a cellphone, crossed a double yellow line to hit him on the opposite side of the road in a crosswalk. The State Police refused to even issue any tickets to the driver because "they didn't see it". I went up the chain and made a big stink about it and got no where. Contacted the local news and they weren't interested. Yes'ed me to death and never ran a story.
Make fully stop (or yield) to pedestrian while in the crosswalk is the law. Hitting pedestrian in the crosswalk is more than a ticket. Why like this happened? That driver was a family member of a police? Sue that Police department for sure.

Seamus

In 2018 I was rear ended in White Plains sitting still at a stop light. The guy who hit me was very nice at first and apologized up and down. When the WP Police showed up he totally changed and told the officer I went out into the intersection, then "threw it into reverse" hitting HIM. I showed the PO my dash cam. He said to the guy "I'm only going to ask you once. Is that the story you want to go with? That guy (me) has it all on dash cam. Before you get yourself in more trouble, do you want to tell me again what happened?"

The look on the guys face was priceless. ALWAYS HAVE A DASH CAM!